Obtaining a UTR for a new client

Options
whiterose
whiterose Registered Posts: 49 Regular contributor ⭐
Just thought I would let everyone know that it has just taken me from 2nd February to today (8th March) to obtain a UTR for a new client. They were not on self-assessment but needed to start sending SA Rtns in order to deal with some new investment income. Sent the 64-8 to HMRC on 2nd Feb, ticked the box 'UTR not issued yet' and waited.....
Many phone calls later we got there but it has been like pulling teeth to get this sorted.
Glad I got that off my chest!

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    The tick box is fairly easy to be missed on a 64-8

Have you tried using form SA1. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/forms/sa1.pdf

It's used for registering to file a self assessment tax return when not self employed.

I did some in mid January, UTR's were here by first week of February which isn't bad considering the SA deadline.
    Regards,

Burg
  • whiterose
    whiterose Registered Posts: 49 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thanks - that's really helpful to know.
    Regards
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    whiterose wrote: »
    JSent the 64-8 to HMRC on 2nd Feb, ticked the box 'UTR not issued yet' and waited.....

You'll be waiting a long time if that is all you did. You need to explicitly notify a chargeability to tax for a Self Assessment record to be set up and a UTR issued.
  • paulb
    paulb Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I must have been lucky then, because I sent a 64-8 to HMRC towards end of Jan, having just ticked the 'UTR not yet issued' box and the UTR was issued just over a week later.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Interesting.

You didn't mention anything in the covering letter hinting as to why a UTR should be issued?

I ask because I received a letter back from CAAT last week stating that I had ticked that box but a Self Assessment record does not exist for that client because they have received no notificiation of chargeability. They then invited me to call the self-employed helpline to register the client..
Privacy Policy