Diididends to Directors

Options
moozy7
moozy7 Registered Posts: 33 Regular contributor ⭐
I'm qualified end 2008 and have years of book-keeping experience. I'm building my confidence and am taking the plunge to do a few voluntary jobs for people,that know me.

I'm after help with the following which I just cant sort out in my head ....

So - we calculate trading profits, and if they're lucky the directors get paid dividends based on the profits available.
Is there a further personal tax liability to be paid by the director? If so how does it fit into a tax computation?

Also - if the directors loan account is overdrawn, past the 9 month deadline, and the company pays 25% for the director, then can claim it back later once the loan is repayed. Again is there a further personal tax liability to be paid by the director?

If the loan is not repayed and is deemed remuneration, is there a personal tax liability in this situation?

Thanks

Moozy

Comments

• AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    If the diretors are only paying at basic rate and not higher there is no personal tax to pay on dividends.

I'm not as clued up on the rest - there will be a p11d benefit on an overdrawn loan account tho..

Someone else will confirm the rest tho :-)
  • moozy7
    Options
    Ah Thank you - so is that because the Company has paid the 21% corporation tax - ie if the directors paid tax also there would be a doubling up type of thing?

If the directors are paying higher rate of tax do they pay the difference? .....sorry , I tie myself up in knots .... I suppose what i'm asking is how do these dividend payments fit into a directors' tax computation?
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    The simplest way of looking at dividends is:

Company makes profit of £10k
    Company pays tax of £2100
    Taxed profit of £7900 which can be paid as a dividend.

£7900 is paid as a dividend.
    To a basic rate taxpayer, this is effectively tax free*
    To a higher rate taxpayer, they pay an extra 25% of this in tax.

*The more complex answer is that there is a 10% tax credit attached, so the dividend, even though the actual amount paid was £7900, was actually £8777.77 gross, with £877.77 tax credit. The £877.77 never gets paid to anyone, its 'deemed' to have been paid when the CT was paid.
    The tax on dividends for higher rate folk is 32.5% which equates to 25% of the dividend payment, given that 10% tax has already been 'suffered'.

Who said tax doesn't have to be taxing? :lol:
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    moozy7 wrote: »
    Also - if the directors loan account is overdrawn, past the 9 month deadline, and the company pays 25% for the director, then can claim it back later once the loan is repayed. Again is there a further personal tax liability to be paid by the director?

Yes you can reclaim the s.419 tax

The personal tax liability relates to the beneficial loan rules and a benefit in kind is calculated if a loan is more than £5000; the BIK relates to the amount of interest they didn't have to pay.
    If the loan is not repayed and is deemed remuneration, is there a personal tax liability in this situation?

If it's deemed remuneration, then this would be salary or dividend and taxed accordingly.

If it's just a loan written off, there is different tax treatment and I can't remember what it is offhand, sorry.
  • moozy7
    Options
    Thank you Monsoon for your time - much appreciated - Thank you
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Monsoon wrote: »
    If it's just a loan written off, there is different tax treatment and I can't remember what it is offhand, sorry.

Income distribution in the hands of the director/shareholder.

Also assessable to Class 1 NIC (rather annoyingly!)
Privacy Policy