Is everyone on past papers now?

jewels.p
jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
I am usually on past papers by now but feel like I still have lots to learn for DFS. It is not one particular part it's the whole lot. I think I have learnt something then go back at a later stage and get stuck all over again. :crying:
ยซ1

Comments

• Yestin
    Yestin Registered Posts: 83 Regular contributor โญ
    I found with that paper more than others that all I needed to do was read through the book once and do the passed papers over and over....once you have done about 5 years back or so it has sunk right in
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I am still working on the book. Just finished chapter 6 from the Osbourne books and am working of setting up a file with all details on the IFRS's and such I need to know, with articles from Steve etc to add to my notes. Once I finished the book, I'll start on the papers, but I feel like I should have been on the papers already, it just seems a lot to take in from the books.

Are you still taking it easy or stressing about it? In that case I would suggest to take a short break (a week or so). I did that when my parents came over and am feeling a lot more positive about studying for it again now. I just got a horrible busy period at work at the moment, so can't say I do much during the week. But that does mean I do long sessions on the Saturday. Last Saturday was split into theory/ reading session in the mornings and then the afternoon for exercises etc. I started at 9, had of course lots of small breaks, like hanging up the laundry, having lunch, making tea etc and finished at 7 in the evenings, but with the feeling I had accomplished what I wanted to achieve.

(and currently I do tell people again I don't have time to visit them during the weekend, because I am too busy studying, because my exams come closer!)
  • jewels.p
    Yestin wrote: ยป
    I found with that paper more than others that all I needed to do was read through the book once and do the passed papers over and over....once you have done about 5 years back or so it has sunk right in

If you only had to read the book once you are good!

Maybe I will start on past papers and see if it all comes together that way. Its difficult knowing the best way to go about it when you are Distance Learning
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I'm on distance learning and successfully passed DFS last June09.

I suggest to finish the book before going on past papers, you need to know the basic of the double entry and able to write reports using the ratio, by doing just past papers you will just learn automatically the layout of it, but if it suddenly chance, you could find yourself lost!

At this time last year I was going to start studying MAC. I started the revisions mid May.
  • faith26
    faith26 Registered Posts: 32 Regular contributor โญ
    Our lecturer teachers us from Past exam papers from the start, its a nightmare and so hard
  • Londina
    Our lecturer teachers us from Past exam papers from the start, its a nightmare and so hard

that is a bad teacher!! should teach the topics, not how to pass an exams!!
  • faith26
    faith26 Registered Posts: 32 Regular contributor โญ
    Tell me about it, but he is bothered about pass rates rather than teaching us the background. Hence I failed DFS first time and now I have DFS, MAC and Business Tax in June

The first two year we had different teachers and they were really good and I passed all exams and skills test first time.

Roll on end of June and it will all be over, I wont have him for ACCA thats for sure.
  • katz568
    katz568 Registered Posts: 93 Regular contributor โญ
    We haven't even started the unit (DFS) yet. We start it on Thursday and take the exam in June.
    Panic is the word i'm mainly using when discussing the course at the moment.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Katz, don't panic too much! I'm sure you will be fine! Just try and do some prework if you really feel that the time is too short!
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Katz if it's any consolation I've put in for the MAC exam and have hardly looked at it!
  • Londina
    now I have DFS, MAC and Business Tax in June

This is what I did last year, 3 exams in June and I started my studies only in January!! It was madness but I passed them all first time!

My suggestion is to finish the book and plan your studies by using a calendar, otherwise it's going to be helish!
  • sunshine2010
    sunshine2010 Registered Posts: 45 Regular contributor โญ
    I am doinf DFS exam in June and have not yet finished the book so i think its quite normal to only have a few weeks nearer the exam for past papers - or at least i hope its ok
  • NO BUSINESS CASE
    NO BUSINESS CASE Registered Posts: 85 Regular contributor โญ
    Finished my BPP course companion DFS and of 11 chapters I am happy with probably 5/6 of them and have had a go at 1 past paper which was ok but no more.

Am polishing up the other chapters before attempting any more past papers and also have opened my books for Personal taxation which I will also be sitting in June.

My plan is to go back to DFS and do all the past papers in June so I am hopefully peaking at exam time and merge that with personal tax and do those papers and further revision to hopefully peak for that exam!!
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    you are doing the same as me, i have just order the ptc book so not even looked at that yet. trudging through the dfs bokk and have attempted a past paper

i have also downloaded steve's standards book which can be found on www.accountancystudents.co.uk it breaks down each standard and makes a use of it

tracy
  • idunno
    idunno Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Tell me about it, but he is bothered about pass rates rather than teaching us the background. Hence I failed DFS first time and now I have DFS, MAC and Business Tax in June

The first two year we had different teachers and they were really good and I passed all exams and skills test first time.

Roll on end of June and it will all be over, I wont have him for ACCA thats for sure.
    We've been doing PCR and PEV since January, alternate weeks, all we seem to do is past exam papers. Look at the Osbourne book (which the tutor told me I wouldn't need) and see that we aren't covering half of the info in the books.
    Studying each subject alternate weeks is hard, just gone back after Easter and done one of them that we hadn't looked at for 4 weeks. Finding it difficult to tell the difference between the 2 units. If I pass it will be in spite of my tutor rather than because of him
  • taskey
    i enjoyed pev and pcr as they were so close to each other. i felt like i was learning a bigger subject rather than learning 2 (if that makes sense). i passed both 1st time, i read the BPP book and made notes but then i did past papers over and over again, question by question. if i did not know the answer or was slightly stuck, i would go back to my book and read the relevant part. believe me, you do get used to what the examiner is after and as soon as you open the exam paper, you know what it will be asking.

my advise, read what ever book you have as it will tell you WHY you are doing something rather than just rote learning. having the knowledge from the book does give you the boost in your written answers

Tracy
  • jewels.p
    taskey wrote: ยป
    you are doing the same as me, i have just order the ptc book so not even looked at that yet. trudging through the dfs bokk and have attempted a past paper

i have also downloaded steve's standards book which can be found on www.accountancystudents.co.uk it breaks down each standard and makes a use of it

tracy

How did you get on with the past paper Tracy? I looked at the June 09 one and didnt have a clue about most of it so that's not a good sign!
  • taskey
    i have only done dec 09 and that was..........kept on looking at the answers to see what they wanted - defo not a good sign

oh well loads of time yet, at least the book is read, now to just keep battering the knowledge i have (wont take too long lol)

Tracy
  • Londina
    I looked at the June 09 one and didnt have a clue about most of it so that's not a good sign!

That one is the one I did! it was easy compared to old past papers! I finished it in 1hour and half.

Why you have no clue about it? That is the consequence by not finishing the book and jump into past papers!
  • jewels.p
    That one is the one I did! it was easy compared to old past papers! I finished it in 1hour and half.

Why you have no clue about it? That is the consequence by not finishing the book and jump into past papers!

I did finish the book before I looked at it. I just havent got to grips with everything yet and that is why I had difficulties with it. Maybe you pick things up quicker than me if you found it so easy!
  • Londina
    I did finish the book before I looked at it. I just havent got to grips with everything yet and that is why I had difficulties with it. Maybe you pick things up quicker than me if you found it so easy!

oh I understood from your OP that you didn't finish the book! If you have many difficulties, you may need to work harder on those ones, example try to find exercises on the specific topics and do them until you realise what you got wrong! I was weak on the ratios and I got them right at the end by just practice a lot!

Overhall for me this unit was easy, maybe because I have a good understanding of the double entry and financial concepts, instead for management accounting it was a total nightmare, I'm not into costing at all!!
  • jewels.p
    I read the book through once and am rereading it again to try and get a better grasp of the subject.

Yes I think everyone is different in what their strong and weak subjects are.
  • jewels.p
    taskey wrote: ยป
    i have only done dec 09 and that was..........kept on looking at the answers to see what they wanted - defo not a good sign

oh well loads of time yet, at least the book is read, now to just keep battering the knowledge i have (wont take too long lol)

Tracy

I kept looking at the answers too. When I look back at my books cause I have forgotten something I am always like Ah I remember how to do it now but the next time I go back to it I have Brain Freeze! lol
  • taskey
    I kept looking at the answers too. When I look back at my books cause I have forgotten something I am always like Ah I remember how to do it now but the next time I go back to it I have Brain Freeze! lol

snap, that is why i will now be doing past papers to death, alongside my trusty book :)
  • salfordman
    salfordman Registered Posts: 32 Regular contributor โญ
    Our college hasn't started on past papers yet as we are still learning theory work and doing questions on what we have learnt.

According to our time table, we will be doing past papers 3 weeks before exam week!!
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Past papers

I know that different lecturers approach the subjects they teach from different angles. I think past papers are useful, but not enough. What about areas in the standards that have not been assessed? By focusing on the past, how can you predict the future?

I am in the middle of preparing my revision classes for May.
    Question practice is a the heart of each day, but not necessarily questions from past papers for that exam,
    1. some I will have modified to address a key standard that I expect to see tested, and
    2. could have been written from scratch.
    3. sometimes also use questions or modified questions that were written for other exams.

The earlier posters highlighted the second weakness of past papers - the answers!
    The model answers are not always the best guide, by all means compare your finished answer to see if it agrees with the model but your technique might be different.

I have a colleague who will often give out the final figures as she hands out homework, that way students will know if they are right or not. Being right is not a pass requirement though, what you need is a clear technique and easy to follow workings.

If you start attempting past exam questions and don't know what to do, my advice is to go back to basics. Look at how you answered similar questions before looking at the model answers. When you see what you have done before then you can restart. If you've never done that sort of question before, then read your text book and start to build up from the key points.

I've come across a lot of students who saw the model answer as the short-cut to success,
    "if I see what they've done I can figure what I should do"
    but I've also heard the same student say
    "how can I know what to do, they do it differently every time?"

My answer is, the basic technique isn't different and if you build up your knowledge from firm foundations then you have the underlying knowledge and modify how you use it to suit the question. You don't necessarily see this if you start with the model answer and try to find where each number came from.

So don't be in a rush to start attempting past papers, I have 4 classes at Chichester College. We'll do lots of questions in the coming weeks, but past papers won't appear until I think they are ready to start working on a variety of topics in a limited time slot and that could be in a month's time.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • jewels.p
    Thanks Sandy you're advice is appreciated. Being a Distance Learning Student I like to know at what stage I should be at when it comes to my studies.
  • NO BUSINESS CASE
    NO BUSINESS CASE Registered Posts: 85 Regular contributor โญ
    Hi Jewels,

I reckon I am at roughly the same place as you. I have done the book in full once and made copious notes.

I am now redoing the weaker chapters and it is beginning to go in but it sure is a slow process. Looking at the chapters in my BPP companion group accounts (end of the companion) was the one that I found hardest to grasp having looked first time, but the cashflow was a bit of a nightmare first time around as well, but since leaving it and carrying on elsewhere I have come back to that chapter with a fresh pair of eyes and it is going well!

As stated we still have 2 months to go it will get better just keep going!! I am not planning to do another past paper until June 01st!!!!
  • jewels.p
    Hi Jewels,

I reckon I am at roughly the same place as you. I have done the book in full once and made copious notes.

I am now redoing the weaker chapters and it is beginning to go in but it sure is a slow process. Looking at the chapters in my BPP companion group accounts (end of the companion) was the one that I found hardest to grasp having looked first time, but the cashflow was a bit of a nightmare first time around as well, but since leaving it and carrying on elsewhere I have come back to that chapter with a fresh pair of eyes and it is going well!

As stated we still have 2 months to go it will get better just keep going!! I am not planning to do another past paper until June 01st!!!!

Hiya No business case!

I have decided to put the past papers on hold for a while and am now concentrating on Consolidated Accounts solely just now. Think I am starting to get to grips with it (I hope)
  • taskey
    i am stuck on the consolidated accounts part, just does not make sense. i keep reading and re-reading the same chapters over and over and it is just not sticking

Tracy
Privacy Policy