Those who did DFS in Dec

Options
jewels.p
jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
I was just wondering how those of you who have already sat DFS got on with the time when you sat the Exam? I have been attempting past papers and the time is pretty tight when I have been doing them. I dont think I am gonna have any time to go back and check anything in this exam.
ยซ1

Comments

• reddwarf
    reddwarf Registered Posts: 528 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    my colleague said she finished in 1 hr 40 mins! used the rest of the time for checking and checking and checking!
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I sat it in December and checked it twice. I left after just over 2hrs
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    my colleague said she finished in 1 hr 40 mins! used the rest of the time for checking and checking and checking!

1 hour 40, i am just getting over the sweating by then, let alone finished

HOLY CRAP

Tracy
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I was just wondering how those of you who have already sat DFS got on with the time when you sat the Exam? I have been attempting past papers and the time is pretty tight when I have been doing them. I dont think I am gonna have any time to go back and check anything in this exam.

Having sat the paper in dec 09 all i can advise on that jewels is

1 use the 15 mins reading time to read it saves scarry momments later on
    2 if you struggle on one minor detail move on and go back.
    3 dont write in pencil - you wont have time to re-write
    4 you will have plenty of time try not to panic
    5 practise practise practise Next week do timed on each section on a paper and see how you do

Best of luck :)

P.s mine was around two hours and then 5 hours after drinking coffee and settling down lol the funnest one was PCT id given up after 45 mins ran through each question and though just wrote anything and left even thought didnt get it sat waited for a further 15 mins to leave (i really dont advise you do that) and still past (absolutely no idea how)
  • jewels.p
    Options
    taskey wrote: ยป
    1 hour 40, i am just getting over the sweating by then, let alone finished

HOLY CRAP

Tracy

Tracy,

Stop making me laugh! I am supposed to be upset cause I am never gonna finish in 1hr 40!:crying:
  • jewels.p
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    Having sat the paper in dec 09 all i can advise on that jewels is

1 use the 15 mins reading time to read it saves scarry momments later on
    2 if you struggle on one minor detail move on and go back.
    3 dont write in pencil - you wont have time to re-write
    4 you will have plenty of time try not to panic
    5 practise practise practise Next week do timed on each section on a paper and see how you do

Best of luck :)

P.s mine was around two hours and then 5 hours after drinking coffee and settling down lol

Vic,
    Re. your point no. 2. If I am struggling on one bit of the question doesnt that then muck up the rest of the question cause I wont be able to get the right answer?
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Vic,
    Re. your point no. 2. If I am struggling on one bit of the question doesnt that then muck up the rest of the question cause I wont be able to get the right answer?

nope you can carry a wrong answer accross and wont be pointed down for it if anything you carry the same figure you will get a point - however if you work it out later and carry a differnt figure to original answer you lose points thats how we were told
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I took nearly the full 3 hours. I took my time and didn't rush. Could of gone quicker, but I slowed down and used the time that I was given. All my answers balanced perfectly, and I had time to think about the last question when you have to give your recommendations re investment via a memo and calculate ratio's. Again, looking at the model answer on AAT past papers, I answered it correctly.

What it really off putting are those that punch the calculators like crazy (and noisily) and swan out after half the time!

Remember, you don't get extra marks for finishing it first in the room.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    i woulnt advise spending to long trying to balance everything if i remember correctly hardly anything of mine balanced and i knew why but didnt want to go past time so moved on
  • jewels.p
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    nope you can carry a wrong answer accross and wont be pointed down for it if anything you carry the same figure you will get a point - however if you work it out later and carry a differnt figure to original answer you lose points thats how we were told

Soz Vic but do you mean if you carry the wrong figure all the way you wont lose points but if I did have time and went back and realised what I did wrong I shouldnt bother changing it as it could muck up the points I already got?

Vic you musta posted at the same time as me. I got ya now!
  • mini_schnauzer
    Options
    As I didn't rush, everything balanced first time.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Soz Vic but do you mean if you carry the wrong figure all the way you wont lose points but if I did have time and went back and realised what I did wrong I shouldnt bother changing it as it could muck up the points I already got?

without tippex and rub out pens no maybe i will be blasted for this but how many people panic when re-reading the paper and start re-writing just to relise you had it right in the first place.

I think the main point is try to be confident with what you have written (ha say me)
  • jewels.p
    Options
    I took nearly the full 3 hours. I took my time and didn't rush. Could of gone quicker, but I slowed down and used the time that I was given. All my answers balanced perfectly, and I had time to think about the last question when you have to give your recommendations re investment via a memo and calculate ratio's. Again, looking at the model answer on AAT past papers, I answered it correctly.

What it really off putting are those that punch the calculators like crazy (and noisily) and swan out after half the time!

Remember, you don't get extra marks for finishing it first in the room.

That is so true about the calculator punchers and early leavers! lol I already posted about them this week. It totally does my head in it puts you off your concentration.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    As I didn't rush, everything balanced first time.

but thats my point too mini mine didnt but still passed :) i wanted to get to what i felt was my weakest section, section 2
  • jewels.p
    Options
    To be honest when I have done past exams I do tend to panic a bit and if I think I am running out of time that makes me even worse. When I look around I always think that everyone else is getting everything to balance and finding it easy and that I am the only one that cant do it!
  • jewels.p
    Options
    Quote Vic:but thats my point too mini mine didnt but still passed i wanted to get to what i felt was my weakest section, section 2

I just want to get to my strongest section......................The End! :lol:
  • A-Vic
    Options
    trust me when i say 5 HOURS TO CLAIM DOWN its horried its like going through a breavement first denile then acceptance then panic then who care then tears
  • mini_schnauzer
    Options
    What is worse is when you look at this forum later when everyone starts writing answers that they put - which then puts doubt in your mind!
  • messedup89
    Options
    theres nothing wrong with leaving early if you've checked you work and are confident theres no more you could do. When i sat FRA in dec08 i was out after 50min (been knowhere near that quick since). There was no point in sitting there for another 2.5 hrs twiddling my thumbs! and quick people arnt always calculator bashers! I make a point to take care as i know how annoying it can be. U just want to get out as quick as you can when u've finished and have a nice drink :)
  • Lyn32
    Lyn32 Registered Posts: 85 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I took my time calmly try not to panic and believe in myself that I can do it and pass without any doubt. I was worried when I studied DFS I read a lot in the forum about those student sat in June09 exams and failed and clearly they have failed in section 2 which is tough but I focused a hell of a lot of time in my weaknesses (Section 2). I finished 30minutes early and I am very confident of all my answer confident than my BTC but I was lucky that I passed both, and now hoping that it will repeat again with my 2 units in June (MAC and PTC).

When I finished my BTC exam I did discuss in the forum on how things going and it wasn't pleasant experience at all. I was in a panic because some student discussing something and also suggesting answers and mine is far from the figures they discusssing. I shut my computer and focus on the next exams which is DFS.

I realise on my experienced that don't go to the forum after the exam concentrate and focus in the next one.....
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I never used to discuss my answers with others, just because it does make you worry over nothing. However last few times I did check here and just saw more and more different figures come along. Last time I promised myself not to check what everyone else wrote about it and yet here I was checking it all, getting myself worried....

Just to find out I passed when I finally got the results.

Time wise, I seem to finish early on every time and in FRA and ECR I was one of the first to leave, it got me really worried I missed a page or question, so I double checked both, had everything and still left.

I do think it's a good thing you can leave, otherwise you just sit there being bored and start distracting others just as much. Would you really like it if you took a short break to give your neck some movement and you find out another student is staring at you, long finished? I think it would make me just more nervous.
  • messedup89
    Options
    Im about to sit my first ACCA exams and your not allowed to leave early. You hav to stay until the 3hrs 15min is up!
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I never did an ACCA exam that I didn't need all the time for anyway
  • Lyn32
    Lyn32 Registered Posts: 85 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I'm interested studying ACCA in the future (when I got a job) I'm curious to know what exemption paper would be after AAT.
    Probably in school summer break I start reading some of the books which is not in the exemption unit, well I'm hoping.

Thank's in advance!
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    One thing I found useful when I took DFS last December was to write all the ratio's on a 'scribbly page in pencil' before I even looked at any of the questions!

That way I could 'fix them' before I started the exam and jot them down, before I even knew which ones I would need.

It just meant that they didn't all jumble up in my head when I turned to jelly having read the paper!!!!!

I passed first time - to give you encouragement!
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    anniem wrote: ยป
    One thing I found useful when I took DFS last December was to write all the ratio's on a 'scribbly page in pencil' before I even looked at any of the questions!

That way I could 'fix them' before I started the exam and jot them down, before I even knew which ones I would need.

It just meant that they didn't all jumble up in my head when I turned to jelly having read the paper!!!!!

Thats what i do with most things, especially the ratio stuff in pev and pcr, look at them all before going into the exam and as soon as page opened..... scribbled on Q Paper!!
  • jewels.p
    Options
    anniem wrote: ยป

Anna, Are you telling people to use PENCILS?.........or are you having a dig cause you used them for DFS but we are not allowed! lol
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Rachey wrote: ยป
    Thats what i do with most things, especially the ratio stuff in pev and pcr, look at them all before going into the exam and as soon as page opened..... scribbled on Q Paper!!

i did the same, my invigilator said i was not allowed to write in the first 15 minutes, then i said she should read the front of the paper and it says you are "recommended" to use the 15 minutes as reading time. i continued to scribble!!!
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Anna, Are you telling people to use PENCILS?.........or are you having a dig cause you used them for DFS but we are not allowed! lol
    You are allowed to use them on your scribbly papers etc, just don't use them on the actual answer booklet for your workings or the answers.
  • jewels.p
    Options
    Rinske wrote: ยป
    You are allowed to use them on your scribbly papers etc, just don't use them on the actual answer booklet for your workings or the answers.

Oh are you thats good. I thought I wouldnt be allowed to use pencils at all. I was even not going to put any in my Pencil Case but I will now if I am allowed to do that. Do you hand in your scribbly papers or do they let you take them away? Also do you have to ask for scribbly paper or do you get some? I have never used scribbly paper before thats why I am asking but feel it may come in handy with DFS.
Privacy Policy