Dfs 2010 =)

Options

Comments

• JoeyDavis2010
    JoeyDavis2010 Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    You have to do the statment of changes in equity to get the revised retained profits figure for the year; retained earnings from TB plus profit less dividends. If your SoFP balanced, then you should be fine :)
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    How did people answer the report in section 2? I have a bad feeling ive interpreted the ratios wrong!

I put that she should keep her investment as all the ratios improved except Net Profit Ratio. Is that what you mean?
  • exam panic
    exam panic Registered Posts: 157 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    vista windows
    C2XVT wrote: »
    How on earth did you remember all that?!

May be his brain like vista window whatever his hand in put his brain will memorise it
  • bobo
    bobo Registered Posts: 23 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    C2XVT wrote: »
    How on earth did you remember all that?!
    exam panic wrote: »
    you must have supper memory better than a computer

I did write all on exam attendance details papers ;)
  • exam panic
    exam panic Registered Posts: 157 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    You have to do the statment of changes in equity to get the revised retained profits figure for the year; retained earnings from TB plus profit less dividends. If your SoFP balanced, then you should be fine :)

They don't ask to do double entry for that so what is the point to do the statement of changes in equity
  • mint
    mint Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Rinske wrote: »
    Oke, call me stupid, but I didn't see them asking for a statement of changes in equity.

Did they specifically ask for this or was just workings enough?

I did find it odd they add it in the study list and not ask for one, but I thought that maybe the exam was made before it was added.

Anyways, if that was specifically asked, I will most certainly have a resit.

O well, I'm just so happy I don't have to study for a bit, that I do like to have passed, but if not, at least I got a few months off!

Huray! I can't wipe that big smile of my face today!
    no, it asked only you to comment on the equity changes didnt it?
    defo didnt ask for a statement of equity, you worked out retainded earning within your workings
  • tomburns1987
    tomburns1987 Registered Posts: 42 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Yeah thats what I mean - I also said to keep the investment but Ive always seemed to get them wrong in the practise exams!
  • bobo
    Options
    mint wrote: »
    no, it asked only you to comment on the equity changes didnt it?
    defo didnt ask for a statement of equity, you worked out retainded earning within your workings

it was in question 1.7 after cash flow, we had to write what and why has changed in equity...
  • tomburns1987
    tomburns1987 Registered Posts: 42 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I said that they sold 2000000 shares for £2.50, £1 nominal value and £1.50 premium and also commented on the RE diff being the profit.
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    jnrmo wrote: »
    Then you had to do a statement of changes in equity which would give you the retained earnings to use in your sofp.

I didn't do a statement of changes in equity.. was there a proforma for this?
  • C2XVT
    C2XVT Registered Posts: 62 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I didnt see them as for a statement of changes in Equity, only to 'comment' on them, unless that was a prompt for doing the statement?
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    looks like i got the same answers, it all sounds familiar. i also said to keep the investment. not sure if i waffled enough for the the report and the ias question but i cant change it now.

hoping for a pass, would be nice.

Tracy
  • mint
    mint Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    bobo wrote: »
    it was in question 1.7 after cash flow, we had to write what and why has changed in equity...
    ahh ok, i suppose that we could have done one, but there was no pro-forma and i think from memory it changed this year (well it was on the changes to DFS printout) therefore should really have had a pro-forma surely??
    hopefully that's not what was exactly required! : /
    fingers crossed! but well done for being able to put one in there haha
  • JoeyDavis2010
    Options
    exam panic wrote: »
    They don't ask to do double entry for that so what is the point to do the statement of changes in equity

That's just how we were taught to do it - calculate the retained earnings via a statement of changes in equity. Don't really think it matters either way; as long as you work it out somehow, it doesn't matter too much :)

On a different note, I'm now starting to worry about the price of the shares - I had it as £1.50; £1 going to the share capital and 50p to the share premuim, to get £3,000,000 total...bum!
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    mint wrote: »
    ahh ok, i suppose that we could have done one, but there was no pro-forma and i think from memory it changed this year (well it was on the changes to DFS printout) therefore should really have had a pro-forma surely??
    hopefully that's not what was exactly required! : /
    fingers crossed! but well done for being able to put one in there haha
    I said to keep the investment but to review the next year as the net profit percentage had dropped, but all the rest improved. Same as you Taskey, hope I waffled enough, but not sure.

O well, we'll see in August! Only 2 months to go till we know for sure....
  • bemusedstudent
    bemusedstudent Registered Posts: 19 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Joey, don't worry, I did the same, doh!!
  • lewpylew
    lewpylew Registered Posts: 216 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I said to keep the money invested as the gross profit had increased from 45% to 52.5% although the net profit had reduced from 12% to 10.5%. The company had now paid off it's overdraft and had £582,000 in the bank. The sales had increased, but also a new long term loan had been taken out so overall I said keep it as the company is expanding and the loan could be to extend the business.

Be nice if I passed part 2, as I did not complete part 1!
  • jnrmo
    jnrmo Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    That's just how we were taught to do it - calculate the retained earnings via a statement of changes in equity. Don't really think it matters either way; as long as you work it out somehow, it doesn't matter too much :)

On a different note, I'm now starting to worry about the price of the shares - I had it as £1.50; £1 going to the share capital and 50p to the share premuim, to get £3,000,000 total...bum!
    which is right because there was 1000 for the share capital and the 2000 for the share premium.
  • Elsie
    Elsie Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I said continue with investment too because the question said to base it only on the ratios calculated.

Also I got 50p for the share premium. 2,000,000 shares x 50p = the increase in the share premium of £1,000,000
  • JoeyDavis2010
    Options
    jnrmo wrote: »
    which is right because there was 1000 for the share capital and the 2000 for the share premium.

Whoop whoop, party on my sofa!!!!! Thanks jnrmo :) !!
  • C2XVT
    C2XVT Registered Posts: 62 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Yeah same here, the only ratio that was down was the Net Profit, managed to shoehorn in an expenses ratio saying that expenses had increased reducing NP
  • bobo
    Options

I did the same
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    lewpylew wrote: »
    I said to keep the money invested as the gross profit had increased from 45% to 52.5% although the net profit had reduced from 12% to 10.5%. The company had now paid off it's overdraft and had £582,000 in the bank. The sales had increased, but also a new long term loan had been taken out so overall I said keep it as the company is expanding and the loan could be to extend the business.

Be nice if I passed part 2, as I did not complete part 1!

I only commented on the ratios calculated. I never mentioned anything about the bank loan or the overdraft.
  • Mog17
    Mog17 Registered Posts: 91 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Have to say, I really enjoyed that exam! Looks like I did/wrote what everyone else has too so bonus! Fingers crossed for a pass on that! Pending MAC and DFS results and finishing my unit 10 report, that's me all done!!! Woo hoo!!
  • NO BUSINESS CASE
    NO BUSINESS CASE Registered Posts: 85 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Share movement I had was 2mil new shares at £1-50 with £2mil going to capital (£1 nominal value) and £1mil going to premium (the extra 50p) or thats what I had down!

I just about remembered to add my equity+liabilities to equal my assets total with the consolidation but with it being the first time I had seen the layout on the consolidation, having been a home studier, I have got to say what is the point of the new equation??!?!

Looks far better and and reads better in my opinion with the old Equity=Assets less Liabilities. Just dont see the point in equity being bang in the middle of it all as it just ruins the flow of everything but what do I know?!!?!? ha ha
  • Esme
    Options
    bobo wrote: »
    I did the same

I didn't write anything about price of shares :( Was this on explaining the changes in equity?
  • Hate exams
    Hate exams Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Please help everything balanced however i totally forgot to label the financial statments, you know with assets ie inventories ppe etc, i put all my working and the total figure but i totally forgot to label the income stmt, sofp and consolidated crap! :( i agree with all the figures on here! Could i fail because of this stupid mistake? It was a nice exam compared to pcr which i have definately failed in!
  • Mog17
    Options
    Esme wrote: »
    I didn't write anything about price of shares :( Was this on explaining the changes in equity?

Yes - explained the increases in the share capital and share premium accounts.
  • Mog17
    Options
    Hate exams wrote: »
    Please help everything balanced however i totally forgot to label the financial statments, you know with assets ie inventories ppe etc, i put all my working and the total figure but i totally forgot to label the income stmt, sofp and consolidated crap! :( i agree with all the figures on here! Could i fail because of this stupid mistake? It was a nice exam compared to pcr which i have definately failed in!

I'd imagine you'd still get marks for all your workings and having reached the right conclusions. If you labelled each of your workings (eg W1 - Inventories) that'll help too as well as having put the figures in the right places on each of the statements. You didn't need to label the income statement, that was already done.
  • Esme
    Options
    Mog17 wrote: »
    Yes - explained the increases in the share capital and share premium accounts.

I wrote that there had been an increase in share capital and share premium but didn't calculate the amounts like everyone else has put.. do u think thats ok?
Privacy Policy