New Qual - Unit 6

anniebabe
anniebabe Registered Posts: 595 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi Guys
Does anyone know what the new version of Unit 6 is going to be like?
Will be studying it from September, have been given the Unit 6 Kaplan and Osborne Books - just wondering if they are of no use, or if the sylabus hasnt changed much and they will be worth keeping? I understand that I will have to do 2 extra units to complete Level 3 as my college are only teaching the new sylabus from September - which is a bit frustrating. Struggling to find out any info about the new quals.
Any feedback is much appreciated.

Comments

• coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    You can check what the new quals will look like on the AAT website, I think it's under "Latest news on the QCF". You'll find a detailed description of the standards so you can compare them with the old ones, there's also a sample exam paper.

Assuming you've already done Unit 5 then you'll have to do:

Indirect tax - almost equivalent to Unit 7 (if you're a diploma student and you've done 31.1 then you'll be exempt this)
    Cash management - bits from Unit 15
    Spreadsheets - a new unit
    Professional ethics - a new unit

It's a bit rough making you transfer to the new standards as there's loads for you to do. I hope they didn't make you do the Unit 5 skills test (if you're an NVQ student)

For anyone else in this situation, check out the distance learning providers, some of them aren't making you transfer until you have to or until it becomes beneficial for you to do so.
  • coojee
    I've just seen elsewhere on the forum that they are making you do the Unit 5 skills test. This is pointless as it doesn't give you any exemptions under the new standards...... Why would they make you do something that is worth nothing?
  • anniebabe
    Ive already done unit 7 simulation and unit 5 exam - simulation is tmoz. Just got unit 6 to do. Did Foundation last year. College say they arent doing the old sylabus from July. Bit fed up about it all. Spoke with Kaplan about Unit 6 and they want Β£550 to do 3 full days in college, Simulation and 2 revision days, then the exam, it all seems very rushed though, dont know what you guys think, not sure what to do.
  • anniebabe
    So are we saying that me sitting this Unit 5 simulation tmoz is pointless then? trying to find the right bit on the AAT website. God I hope thats not right, will not be impressed if there making me do summat i dont have to do! :(
  • anniebabe
    Bit confused - think I should still have to do Unit 5 Simulation -
    Transition says the following.
    Unit 5 new QCF -
    Some topics more explicit than in previous standards. No action required by students who have successfully completed the FRA exam.
    β€’
    If students have not successfully completed the FRA exam, or have only completed the FRA skills test, they must complete the new Accounts preparation I and II assessments.
  • coojee
    Bit confused - think I should still have to do Unit 5 Simulation -
    Transition says the following.
    Unit 5 new QCF -
    Some topics more explicit than in previous standards. No action required by students who have successfully completed the FRA exam.
    β€’
    If students have not successfully completed the FRA exam, or have only completed the FRA skills test, they must complete the new Accounts preparation I and II assessments.

The skills test is definately not required for the exemption to the new qual. "No action required by students who have successfully completed the exam" You've done, that so no action required.

As you've already done Unit 7 you'll be exempt Indirect tax but you'll still have to do the 2 new units, cash management and professional ethics.

I guess you've already paid up front for the whole course at college haven't you? So costwise it's not a problem. Timewise it is though. I know you'd be able to buy Unit 6 as a seperate unit from a distance learning provider and pay a lot less than the Β£550 quoted by Kaplan. You would have to do the Unit 5 skills test if you remain on the old standards.

You're getting very shoddy treatment from your college. I only hope that their teaching is worth it. As the Unit 6 syllabus isn't really changing there's no reason why you (and your classmates who are close to finishing) can't stay on the old standards but still sit in with the new standard students. The only difference for the college is that they would have to do a Unit 6 assessment for you which they won't have to do with the new students.

Are many other colleges forcing people to transfer?
  • anniebabe
    Dont know if I have passed my FRA yet, did the paper exam. Havent paid for the rest of my tuition yet to do Unit 6.
    The Kaplan course that I was quoted for wasnt distance learning - it was to go into college, just thought that 3 lessons sounded a bit short to do unit 6 in.
    When I asked my college about Unit 6 they seemed unsure about the curriculum changes to unit 6 and whether they would be able to do me a simulation? dont think they have a clue what they are doing tbh.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Don't worry about the shortness of the Kaplan course, they tend to do ACCA papers over 3 days too, you do get some homework but they can cover a whole unit in that time.
Privacy Policy