iphone4

Options
slackda
slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Probably another thread on here about this, but feeling lazy this lunchtime ....

just got my iphone 4 from my mobile provider, pretty good deal, sending it back today as i have decided that i can't justify the cost per month....all be it that it is an amzin phone......

just wondering if any one has a 3GS running IOS 4 and what the performance is like on that, as i think for the moment that is more in my price range, or if any one has experience of a HTC desire their thoughts and feelings on it ?

Cheers guys and gals!

Comments

• blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I've been looking at the Desire but have read the battery life is shocking so I think I'm just gonna go back to a normal smart phone where battery life (and thus reliability) is more important than power sapping screen size. Thinking about an E72 at the moment and you can never go wrong with a Nokia.

Sat next to some bloke on the train home yesterday with his smudge screen IPad. What exactly is it for? Less storage and power than a decent netbook, twice the price and completely unprotected by a lid? Strange.
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    My 3GS is running IOS4 and there's no difference in performance to when it was on 3.x.x
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: »
    Sat next to some bloke on the train home yesterday with his smudge screen IPad. What exactly is it for? Less storage and power than a decent netbook, twice the price and completely unprotected by a lid? Strange.

Had my first play with the iPad yesterday, amusing seeing 8 of them lined up all with screens smudged to hell :D

Would be annoying having to keep the thing held up, definitely decided against them. Will cope quite well with laptop and iPhone 4, oh and books.

Oh yeah, I got an iPhone 4, my 3rd iPhone. I'm happy with my new toy, the screen is amazing, 4 times the resolution of the previous one!
  • blobbyh
    Options
    PGM wrote: »
    Will cope quite well with laptop and iPhone 4, oh and books.!

... you missed the "and a life" part.
  • PGM
    Options
    ... you missed the "and a life" part.

True. I don't need another device. Maybe if I commuted but I don't.
  • slackda
    Options
    welll, unless i cna get orange to budge on price i think i may have made my mind up that it is cheaper for me to get a ipod touch (8gb) and then get the desire on a contract for 18month was offered it Foc with 900 mins and 300 txt and "unltd" internet for 25Quid a month.... same deal on iphone will cost me £45 per month and i have to pay for the phone....and be on 24 month contract....
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Let me know how you find the Desire as I need to change before the end of next week but the battery life reports are putting me off!

My son got an IPod Touch at Christmas, the same time as I bought my Creative Zen X-Fi for less than half the price of the Apple. Both 8gb but while mine is smaller and doesn't have internet (which we use our other gadgets for anyway), it leaves the Apple dead in the water for sound quality. It can also be expanded with SD cards which is very very handy, not only for adding extra music, but also for shifting data around. Used the saving to get a decent pair of Koss portable headphones!
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Robert -my son got a Desire a few weeks ago. Then heard there was a problem with the chargers overheating - no problems so far!
    I asked him if he had any issues with the battery life and it didn't seem to be too much of a problem.
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Tried to get a Desire but they're so desirable (pun intended) that most places are out of stock and prices have soared in the last few weeks.

Against my better judgement, I've ordered a Samsung Galaxy S instead ('cos Samsungs normally have the lifespan of a gnat and I'll be lucky to get twelve months out of it, never mind eighteen). £400 over the lifetime of the 18mth contract which is much cheaper than the near £600 for similar now being quoted for the Desire and £800+ for a shitephone.
  • slackda
    Options
    ive decided to stick with me nokia untill the rumoured HD Desire comes out, see what that does to prices of current desire and see if it is a better phone :d
  • PGM
    Options
    When I got my last phone I was laughed at for doing the usual spreadsheet comparing providers and contracts. Surely thats something all us excel lovers do??
  • Woooof
    Woooof Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    slackda wrote: »
    ive decided to stick with me nokia untill the rumoured HD Desire comes out, see what that does to prices of current desire and see if it is a better phone :d
    It'll be announced Mid-September ;) And I'll be getting it on release date as my phone contract has expired
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Settled for a budget Desire - the HTC Wildfire - in the end and while it may not have the best screen in the world, I'm reasonably happy with it. Plus it's quite cheap at £20 a month for 600 mins, unlimited texts and true unlimited internet (as opposed to being capped at 500mb or 1gb like most other providers).
  • PGM
    Options
    The Android phones seem to be very popular, let us have your review once you've used it a while.
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Well my last handset was a Samsung Pixon where the touchscreen was dire, using old resistive technology. The HTC - and I think, now most other touchscreens - uses capacitive technology which essentially means it scrolls very smoothly like an Iphone for a fraction of the cost. Battery life also seems quite good and far better than the Samsung which needed charging every night. Looks like every one to two days with the HTC. The Facebook and BBC news links are pretty speedy and up to date. Not interested about downloading millions of other apps to my phone.

I don't use my handsets for playing MP3's as I have a superior player for those - Creative X-Fi - and don't want to drain the phone battery. Early days yet and wasn't quite sure if I should have gone for the Desire but seeing as that will be an extra £240 over the lifetime of the contract, I think I've probably made the right choice with the Wildfire.
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I hear there's an app that lets you enter a pin number of another phone user and actually talk to to them!
  • PGM
    Options
    CJC wrote: »
    I hear there's an app that lets you enter a pin number of another phone user and actually talk to to them!

:D

Even if this is true... Why would you want to speak to just one person, when you can update your facebook status and let everyone you've ever met know you're in Starbuck, having a cafe late, sat on your own, playing with your phone?
  • blobbyh
    Options
    CJC wrote: »

If we weren't meant to evolve, God wouldn't have created the internet.
  • tigger37
    tigger37 Registered Posts: 200 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    iphone 4

I've dropped enough hints to my other half about getting me a android phone - hoping for the LG Optimus. We can't afford the iphone with redundancy looming this month. However, there is a strong possibility I may have secured a 6 month temp role where I can use some of my payoff to get one.
    Who else has an android phone here? They seem pretty good from what I've read.
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Waiting on my iPhone 4 coming lol.. Will be selling my 3GS!

Can't wait :)!
  • blobbyh
    Options
    tigger37 wrote: »
    ... hoping for the LG Optimus.

Do you mean getting this on PAYG as surely on contract you'd be better off with the Wildfire since it gets excellent reviews everywhere and available from about £15 a month on contract?

http://www.freecontractmobiles.co.uk/handsets/display.asp?hs=gt540black&tariff=&gift=&gift2=&free=&half=&phone=LG%20Optimus%20GT540%20black

http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/htc-wildfire.htm

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/15-best-mobile-phones-in-the-world-today-645440?artc_pg=12

Oh yes, I more than do my research before investing!
  • tigger37
    tigger37 Registered Posts: 200 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Do you mean getting this on PAYG as surely on contract you'd be better off with the Wildfire since it gets excellent reviews everywhere and available from about £15 a month on contract?

http://www.freecontractmobiles.co.uk/handsets/display.asp?hs=gt540black&tariff=&gift=&gift2=&free=&half=&phone=LG%20Optimus%20GT540%20black

http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/htc-wildfire.htm

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/15-best-mobile-phones-in-the-world-today-645440?artc_pg=12

Oh yes, I more than do my research before investing!
    I'm on PAYG at the moment. I just don't use it enough in calls/texts to warrant a contract on it. I can get a Optimous for £99 on Orange from the Carphone Warehouse online which is a steal. The Orange shop wants £149, so a savings of £50 overall! Plus I love apps - I play with them all the time on my ipod touch......my running program I do is on it as well.
  • Jay1981
    Jay1981 Registered Posts: 36 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    My partner has just got a Samsung Galaxy S, it's a brilliant phone. Needs charging every night though but for £30/month with unlimited Internet 500 mins & unlimited texts, it's a great deal.
    I myself have a Nokia N97, which again is a brilliant phone. A full charge will last me 5 days. Up for renewal soon though and will certainly be getting an Android phone probably the HTC HD2. iPhone's are ridiculously over priced for what they are - as are most Apple products.
  • PGM
    Options
    Jay1981 wrote: »
    iPhone's are ridiculously over priced for what they are - as are most Apple products.

I pay £33 a month for mine which doesn't seem too bad. I know some of the Android phones are cheaper. If I was to choose again it would definitely be between iPhone and Android.
  • blobbyh
    Options
    I... will certainly be getting an Android phone probably the HTC HD2. iPhone's are ridiculously over priced for what they are - as are most Apple products.

The HD2 isn't an Android phone but runs on the Windows mobile platform. Agree with your comment about Apples though - the iPod Touch is admittedly a very nice gadget but you can get better sounding music players for half the price. Same with the iPhones - you can get equal - and arguably better - for much less cost.

But then you can buy a car to drive you from A to B for the fraction of a Ferrari, but Ferrari don't lose any sleep over it do they as long as there are those rich and stupid enough to keep the numbers up?!
  • PGM
    Options
    Same with the iPhones - you can get equal - and arguably better - for much less cost.

If it was down to the hardware itself I'd possibly have gone for HTC...

But where Apple clearly beat the competition is with the app store and itunes. When commuting theres a massive library of podcasts I can easily get. And the app store is now massive, theres a huge amount of things you can download to pass the time. Admitedly a huge amount are trashy games but theres ones by BBC, Sky News, eurosport, so theres something for everyone.

I do believe Android will quickly close the gap in some of these areas though.

My previous 2 HTC phones (Windows) were horrible music players, not user friendly at all. Obviously the iPhone is good in that area, and good in all areas, so I will be getting another as the price gap isn't significant between rivals.
  • blobbyh
    Options
    I tend to look at it differently, the total cost of owning a handset over the lifetime of a contract rather than simply the extra cost per month (which deceptively looks minimal). It might be just an extra £13 per month for the same mobile contract, yet that equates to £312 for the extra cost of owning an iPhone over 24 months - compared to say an HTC - plus there's usually an upfront purchase price. So is the Apple hardware really worth £400 or more just for owning one, compared to something else that can equal and better it in, granted not all, but at least some areas? I also look at what might happen if I lost my job yet still had to pay for an expensive phone contract on top of everything else!

You probably wouldn't buy a new laptop every two years yet you'd spend the equivalent cost on a mere phone. To me that's crazy, but then so is spending hundreds or thousands a year on fags and booze, so I guess it's each to their own.
  • PGM
    Options

You probably wouldn't buy a new laptop every two years yet you'd spend the equivalent cost on a mere phone. To me that's crazy, but then so is spending hundreds or thousands a year on fags and booze, so I guess it's each to their own.

I pay £33 a month for mine, no up front cost (24 months). Which is still a fair cost over its life, but I was spending £20 a month on top ups several years ago so I can't see myself saving much....

My phone is my favourite gadget, I don't have my laptop when commuting or killing time in various places. So from that point of view its well worth it, because you can't smoke in them places! :D
  • Jay1981
    Jay1981 Registered Posts: 36 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    PGM wrote: »
    If it was down to the hardware itself I'd possibly have gone for HTC...

But where Apple clearly beat the competition is with the app store and itunes. When commuting theres a massive library of podcasts I can easily get. And the app store is now massive, theres a huge amount of things you can download to pass the time. Admitedly a huge amount are trashy games but theres ones by BBC, Sky News, eurosport, so theres something for everyone.

I do believe Android will quickly close the gap in some of these areas though.

My previous 2 HTC phones (Windows) were horrible music players, not user friendly at all. Obviously the iPhone is good in that area, and good in all areas, so I will be getting another as the price gap isn't significant between rivals.
    I don't think the App store is that brilliant to be honest. How many of the free Apps are actually useful? Yes they're fun but get boring after a while. And podcasts you can get anywhere can't you? I had an iPod touch that i have now given to my daughter as the sound quality is pants. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice looking gadget but there's better music players out there for quite a bit cheaper. Also the headphones fall apart after a month or so.
  • blobbyh
    Options
    ... there's better music players out there for quite a bit cheaper. Also the headphones fall apart after a month or so.

Yup, Creative Zen X-Fi - currently ranked 2nd best MP3 player in 'Stuff' magazine despite getting on a bit (one place behind the iPod Touch but costs much less with better quality sound) - in 16gb format - or even 32gb if you're lucky - for less than £100 combined with a pair of Koss Porta-Pro headphones at around £20. Not as gadgety as an iPod but superior sound if you just want to listen to music.
Privacy Policy