computer based exams

Options
jane
jane Registered Posts: 165 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Errr, think I've taken far too long a break from studying AAT. Could someone please enlighten me regards the online exams and paper ones. Does one have a choice? I wont be doing any exams until I get to Technician stage, but would love updating!!!

Comments

• jenny3549
    jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Hi Jane,

Had to answer one of your posts so we could see our avatars together! Great minds....

If you are going to do Technician now you have a choice of doing it under the new standards (all computer based exams) or the old ones (all paper based). If you do the old you have until June next year to complete or you get switched to the new anyway.

The only thing to bear in mind, if you choose to go with the new standards you can't switch back so if you're not sure it might be worth starting with the old as you can always change to the new.

Not sure if I've made any sense! May have had a little too much wine!
  • jane
    Options
    The avatars are cute hey? Thanks for replying. I will be doing Technician on the new standards, as I am in the process of trying to finish Intermediate. Can't overload my poor little brain tooooo much or it will explode. Are the computer based exams set out the same as paper ones? Is there anywhere on this site that i can look at to find out what the set out is like? I'm one of those that likes to know what I'm letting myself in for!!
    Thanks
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    How do the computer based ones work? Do you go into the exam hall and have a PC on your desk?
  • jenny3549
    Options
    I haven't done one yet but I have seen the room at Kaplan where they have them. It's like a normal exam room except with computers, and they were along the walls rather than in the middle of the room so I think in that sense it won't really be any different.

As far as the layout, they are different to the paper based exams. If you go into your MyAAT and go into the Study Zone box in the middle it takes you to another screen with all the different versions. Select the top one for the new standards and then you can click on practice assessments. They have a practice new style one for each unit along with a couple of past paper ones in the study support underneath for you to compare.

I've found it's hard to compare them though until you're ready to sit the exam. My only concern at the moment is time - I'm doing personal tax and the CBE is only two hours while the paper one was three! I've had a quick look through the mock but until I've finished the unit and can attempt it for practice I won't really be able to tell how much is in it. At first look it still seems to be quite a lot of questions though!
  • Dipak Thanki
    Dipak Thanki Registered Posts: 135 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    You do the exams on a computer, it's same as the paper based but on a computer. It has a huge advantage that the questions aren't linked, meaning you won't need to answer from one question to answer another question. So if you get one wrong, you might get the other right! As it's on the computer everyone gets random questions (like a driving theory test), this has a huge advantage as well meaning they can't ask you anything dodgy that they could do with paper based exams or word something weird to catch you out. When I did my ECR with the computer based exam, I found it straight forward.
  • anniebabe
    anniebabe Registered Posts: 595 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Hi Guys
    Sorry to gatecrash this conversation - but does everyone think that the CBE is easier than the written - I have to do my ECR soon - but cant decide which to do, I am a bit worried about the CBE as never done one yet.
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I haven't tried them myself, but a friend resat his ECR with the computer timer running at double speed & managed to pass - he also got his results immediately.
  • jane
    Options
    Thanks for all your reply's. Jenny I have tried downloading where you said, but only he first page shows, the introduction. How do i get onto the next page's? Sorry I'm being really blonde!!!
  • jenny3549
    Options
    I've tried to add a link but I'm not sure it will work as it's through the MyAAT so the password thing might block it.

https://www.aat.org.uk/myaat/pa_lsb/

I'm also trying to add the link for the ECR practice CBE for you to have a look at:

http://www.aat-interactive.org.uk/elearning/new/CRS_PracticeAssessment/

If this is no good I'm emailing you the questions printed out for ECR new format. I've just picked ECR at random!

Hope at least one works!
  • anniebabe
    Options
    Jane

Just search for ECR practice test answers on the AAT website, it should appear with an Adobe Acrobat icon at the side, when you click and it opens up you should be able to scoll through on the right or click the blue arrows to change pages, hope this helps.
  • jane
    Options
    Hi all, Thank you so much, I eventually got there!!! Sorry I a blonde and I'm living up to th saying :)!! It's just a shame that you can't see the answers as you go along, so that you can monitor where you are going wrong. Thanks again, I will complete my first one when I'm ready to see how i get on. OOOh this modern technology hey.
  • anniebabe
    Options
    jane wrote: ยป
    It's just a shame that you can't see the answers as you go along, so that you can monitor where you are going wrong.

Jane - You should be able to print the answers off the screen hun. I have - should make it easier when your trying to go through it.
Privacy Policy