where to start with the project

Options
meibaker
meibaker Registered Posts: 481 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
can someone give me some advice on where to start on this project? have no ideas! and it's really stressing me out! please help

Comments

• Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Have you got a subject? That's the first step.

Once you got that sorted, try to start with a list of weaknesses and strengths (or write that for specific parts of the work so you can see if you can base your project on it).
  • zara5034
    zara5034 Registered Posts: 170 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I bought the Osborne book, it's helped me no end
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    the bpp book is also very good and walks you through every step of the way.

Tracy
  • meibaker
    Options
    Rinske wrote: ยป

Once you got that sorted, try to start with a list of weaknesses and strengths (or write that for specific parts of the work so you can see if you can base your project on it).[/QUO

thanks rinske for your suggestion, but i i haven't even have a subject. i can't even think a subject! ;-(
    am i right at thinking the subject should be something related to a change in accounting system?? for example if i am going to use a takeaway, possible subject can be fraud!
    aslo thank to zara and tasky, i will defo get the book too!
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options

Once you got that sorted, try to start with a list of weaknesses and strengths (or write that for specific parts of the work so you can see if you can base your project on it).

thanks rinske for your suggestion, but i i haven't even have a subject. i can't even think a subject! ;-(
    am i right at thinking the subject should be something related to a change in accounting system?? for example if i am going to use a takeaway, possible subject can be fraud!
    Well, it could be based on changes or improvements, so you could also just pick a part of your accounting department and see if you can spot any weaknesses in that area. I found the easiest way was to stick with the part I worked in, as it was easier to spot the weaknesses, while area's I didn't work in, I had not enough ideas of what would be a weakness or not.

I found the forms from the AAT very helpful to start with and only had a look at the examples from my book at first to get a clue on what kind of subject to pick. I still think that was the hardest bit for me in the end.

If you work in accounts, look at your daily work and see if you could improve stuff or if you could change some stuff to make life easier or less complicated or less fraud sensitive somehow. I found that seeing if I could improve it was quite hard, hence I started by trying to find weaknesses, in the end, I had about 10 weaknesses.

Together with the weaknesses, I wrote a quick introduction to how we work and from that I picked a number of strengths out of the introduction, used the rest for description of work flow etc and added a fraud matrix/ description. That ended up as the main body for my report.

I have been writing down the weaknesses for a while though, every time I thought of one, I added it and it has been at work as a word doc for about a month. I also asked my manager to look at them and give her opinion and she suggested another few. She did insist on reading everything I wrote, before sending it to my tutor and usually that meant I got some nice tips back and she would proof read for spelling as well.

Due to confidentiality and such of details, the company insisted on reading it all before sending it to my tutor, which all took quite some time, but in the end it was quite helpful as well. If you got a manager/ colleague who doesn't mind reading it and help you think about a subject, just ask them for help straight away. Even if it's just suggestions for a subject or a certain weakness, it might just be the perfect subject for you.
  • meibaker
    Options
    Rinske wrote: ยป
    Well, it could be based on changes or improvements, so you could also just pick a part of your accounting department and see if you can spot any weaknesses in that area. I found the easiest way was to stick with the part I worked in, as it was easier to spot the weaknesses, while area's I didn't work in, I had not enough ideas of what would be a weakness or not.

I found the forms from the AAT very helpful to start with and only had a look at the examples from my book at first to get a clue on what kind of subject to pick. I still think that was the hardest bit for me in the end.

If you work in accounts, look at your daily work and see if you could improve stuff or if you could change some stuff to make life easier or less complicated or less fraud sensitive somehow. I found that seeing if I could improve it was quite hard, hence I started by trying to find weaknesses, in the end, I had about 10 weaknesses.

Together with the weaknesses, I wrote a quick introduction to how we work and from that I picked a number of strengths out of the introduction, used the rest for description of work flow etc and added a fraud matrix/ description. That ended up as the main body for my report.

I have been writing down the weaknesses for a while though, every time I thought of one, I added it and it has been at work as a word doc for about a month. I also asked my manager to look at them and give her opinion and she suggested another few. She did insist on reading everything I wrote, before sending it to my tutor and usually that meant I got some nice tips back and she would proof read for spelling as well.

Due to confidentiality and such of details, the company insisted on reading it all before sending it to my tutor, which all took quite some time, but in the end it was quite helpful as well. If you got a manager/ colleague who doesn't mind reading it and help you think about a subject, just ask them for help straight away. Even if it's just suggestions for a subject or a certain weakness, it might just be the perfect subject for you.

thanks for your advice rinske,it really helps me a lot! i will start to write down any weakness or improvement that i could find! hopefully it will just flow from that! ;-)
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options

have emailed you

Tracy
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I would recommend a quick read, then a thorough read. When you do the thorough read you should then start putting together a SWOT analysis as this will lead you to concentrate on the areas you want to report on.
  • meibaker
    Options
    speegs wrote: ยป
    I would recommend a quick read, then a thorough read. When you do the thorough read you should then start putting together a SWOT analysis as this will lead you to concentrate on the areas you want to report on.

thanks speegs for your advice, i defo need to read the book through and start to write down some point! thanks again! ;-)
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I didn't use the book, I just printed out the knowledge requirements and made a note on how my idea was going to fit with each particular requirement, then as I wrote the project up I crossed off each requirement as I covered it.

However all that relies on having an idea in the first place! Maybe the book might help you come up with that.

Good luck
Privacy Policy