7 Exams, all during the day.

Options
CovTeej
CovTeej Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ⭐
Morning all

Last night was the first night of my Level 3, during the induction session, we were advised that there would be 7 exams across the coming year, which we were expecting, what we were not expecting was that they would all be during the day. As we pointed out, we were doing the evening course as we all work during the day, we all thought that this new format allowed us to take the CBEs when it suited us.

Is anyone else having problems with time off being authorised? I really don't want to be having to use more than a quarter of my holiday allowance to take exams!

Comments

• jenny3549
    jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    As far as I am aware exams have always been during the day. I know with the paper based ones they were all at set times in the morning or afternoon.

However, as you said, part of the new CBE structure is its flexibility but I suppose it depends on the centre where you need to take them. If they don't open in the evenings then I suppose you are stuck with day time. It sounds as though you are studying at a college though so it would be worth raising with your tutor. If they are open in the evening for the courses I don't suppose it would be a problem to have the CBEs in the evening too.
  • CovTeej
    Options
    The 'big' final paper exam that we sat last year (Foundation Level) was during the day, but that was a one off, and didn't cause much uproar at work to arrange that dy as my day off. The 5 or 6 simulations, which do not exist in the new format, were done during the lessons or taken home and done as assignments.

The issue that I have is that we do evening courses becuase we are unavailable during the day and some employers are not happy having to let people have what they see as an extra 7 days off.

As far as the tutor was concerned, the college sets the dates for the exams and if you can't do them at the times set, tough, you fail the course.
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    CovTeej wrote: Β»
    The 'big' final paper exam that we sat last year (Foundation Level) was during the day, but that was a one off, and didn't cause much uproar at work to arrange that dy as my day off. The 5 or 6 simulations, which do not exist in the new format, were done during the lessons or taken home and done as assignments.

You took them home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They're meant to be supervised and done without books or help!!!!!!!!!!!

I always knew the colleges were lax about the assessments but that's just appalling. What are the AAT doing allowing this kind of thing to go on?
  • CovTeej
    Options
    We were told that the Health & Safety and another one (can't remember what that was called now) were to be done as 'assignment' type simulations and that we had 4 weeks from receipt to complete and return, should the college have not allowed us that?? All the others were done under exam type conditions - no talking, no leaving the room, no books etc.
  • anniebabe
    anniebabe Registered Posts: 595 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    that sounds right to me - we took our Foundation level Health and Safety and Personal Effectivness home. But the others were done in class.
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    We were told that the Health & Safety and another one (can't remember what that was called now) were to be done as 'assignment' type simulations and that we had 4 weeks from receipt to complete and return, should the college have not allowed us that?? All the others were done under exam type conditions - no talking, no leaving the room, no books etc.

Phew, had me worried there! I thought you meant Units 1-4!
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    coojee wrote: Β»
    Phew, had me worried there! I thought you meant Units 1-4!

I thought the same as coojee there about the simulations being done under supervised conditions as I had to do them that way!
  • keane155
    keane155 Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    We did our computer based exam in the evening for FRA. I think you can do them anytime as long as the college has someone to supervise them.
  • sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Would the college allow CBE to be done from home?
  • anniebabe
    anniebabe Registered Posts: 595 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    As far as I am aware the CBE has to be done in exam conditions with an AAT invigulator.
  • staceyx
    staceyx Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi,

I am studying in the evening and some of the exams will be in the evening, it might just mean having to leve work slightly earlier but the college is still being flexible. I think the main exam(s) will be in the day time though.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Is anyone else having problems with time off being authorised? I really don't want to be having to use more than a quarter of my holiday allowance to take exams!

With the greatest respect, welcome to the real world. You're not experiencing anything different to what thousands of others before you - including me - have had to suffer over the last few years to get where we are now. Unless your employer is sponsoring your exams and thus willing to endorse time off, one of the resiliency tests of any self funded further education is that you need to sacrifice your own time, effort and money to achieve your goals.
  • sianisian
    sianisian Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I too am self-funded, I simply book a half day or day off using my normal holiday allowance. In the grand scheme of things I feel that it's a small sacrifice to make.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Agreed - i was funded by my employer but had to take the time as holidays (as time off i didnt get and had to make up college time too) - but well worth it
  • CovTeej
    Options
    I am self funded, my employers won't pay for anything!

I am having to go into work every Saturday now (it used to be just one in 4 Saturdays) as this was the only way I could get my manager to agree to allow me to leave at 4.30 twice a week to get to college by 5.30, I finish college at 9 and don't get home until almost 11, I also have to go in on my day off for 4 hours to make my hours up, all this had to be authorised by the Regional Manager.

Holidays at our place have to be booked well in advance, ideally in November for the following March to October (it's in our contracts that we cannot take holiday between the start of November and the end of January so that's any exams in those months out for a start), so any exams that the college decide we will be taking with a week or so notice will also be out.

I am looking for a more sympathetic employer, hence studying for the AAT in the first place!
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    What industry are you in that has such draconian policies? It sounds seasonal so fair enough to a week or so off at short notice, but they have to cope with sudden illnesses and other unforeseen absences so I can't see why they can't accommodate you for one or two planned days off over the three month period. If they have no contingency planning, then how do they cope and stay in business?

Or are you just a victim of over-reactive, inefficient management as is often the case?
  • *Jo
    *Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I too unfortuately have to use part of my 20 days holiday for exams. Im a distancer learner and single mother of a 16 year old girl, my employers have kindly funded Diploma level (Advanced self funded) but I dont any study leave. I take a day off for the exam itself and 1 or 2 for addition study beforehand. I study in the evenings or weekends and during my lunch hours. I also have to run a home and hold down a full time job with attempting to fit in a bit of a social life along the way. It sucks but its the way it is for alot of us. The thing to remember is it will be worth it in the end. Im one exam and unit 10 away from being a qualified accounting technician and would do it all again.
Privacy Policy