BA (Hons) International Accounting

JaffasGirl
JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Anyone else noticed this? Its great to see that the AAT are now following in the path of Chartered qualifications and offering a path to a degree, now this really is an alternative to university!

https://www.aat.org.uk/myaat/content/item92648/

Comments

• AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    It is good, VERY expensive though compared to the BSc (Hons) in Applied Accounting that ACCA offer.

I'd imagine that it'll take a year or two before the price goes down, once they get ideas of numbers etc.. Who knows..
  • JaffasGirl
    yeah, i thought the Bsc was cheaper. I wonder why its a BA with AAT and not a BSc?

Well i've only just started the AAT, so fingers crossed by the time I am qualified and have the experience it'll be much cheaper, although it is still cheaper that one years tuition fees.
  • AK002
    What's the difference with BA and BSc? I have no idea about degrees tbh.
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    AK002 wrote: ยป
    What's the difference with BA and BSc? I have no idea about degrees tbh.

BA is Bachelor of Arts, BSc is Bachelor of Science. Business subjects temd to sit somewhere in between art/science. Some unis offer accounting as BA, others BSc, but this should have no bearing on the actual status of the degree.

Neil
  • JaffasGirl
    NeilH wrote: ยป
    BA is Bachelor of Arts, BSc is Bachelor of Science. Business subjects temd to sit somewhere in between art/science. Some unis offer accounting as BA, others BSc, but this should have no bearing on the actual status of the degree.

Neil

Thanks, i've always wondered. I read somewhere that it changes the 'core principles' of the degree. I hope this works out, i think its a fantastic idea.
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Thanks, i've always wondered. I read somewhere that it changes the 'core principles' of the degree. I hope this works out, i think its a fantastic idea.

Hi

I have seen this with two health studies degrees at a university โ€“ the BA was sociological based whereas the BSc was health science based. I think with accounting the core content would be quite similar. However, I guess some of the non-core subjects could vary, but this would be true from university to university anyway.

Neil
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    NeilH wrote: ยป

Neil

I have a BSc in Accounting and Finance. Nearly everyone else I know with an accounting degree has a BA in Accounting. But having talked about our courses, I don't think there's really any difference in what we did.

I have asked lecturers and advisors at uni what the difference is, and the only real difference is that they stand for different things. It's purely a matter of terminology.

Also, it's always Bachelor, never Bachelorette (if it's even a word). Equally, a female MSc holder is a Master of Science, not Mistress of Science.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    It is good, VERY expensive though compared to the BSc (Hons) in Applied Accounting that ACCA offer.

I'd imagine that it'll take a year or two before the price goes down, once they get ideas of numbers etc.. Who knows..

Wonder if that because theres more work needed to get from AAT to degree, than ACCA to degree?

Either way, I'm not even going to consider thinking about looking into possibly getting any of these. Spent enough of my life staring at numbers already!!!!
  • AK002
    Never thought of it that way...

I'll be doing it anyway, it's designed so that it can be done in between your ACCA studies..
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Never thought of it that way...

I'll be doing it anyway, it's designed so that it can be done in between your ACCA studies..

Good luck with it!

I did a business degree before AAT, before ACCA, which accounts for my deminished motivation :)
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I am looking at doing this now.

After looking at all my options I decided at this time CIMA is not something I would like to do. I am RUBBISH in exams and prefer more wordy projects, which this suits perfectly. Also if I did decide at a later date to do the professional qualification, I will have several exeptions to the Certificate & Operational Level.

I am signing up to do the NHS(FdA) before moving onto this BA in International Accounting, but it is very interseting to know that there are alternatives to exams. Unfortunately I only found out about this Monday of this week so it was too late for this year. But I have already enquired about the earliest enorolment dates for next September! Not too keen :)

The above course also provides modules on people management & skills. Something that other qualifications can't always accomodate. I would imagine that the standard course has the same things just not with the public finance aspects.
  • AK002
    PGM wrote: ยป
    Good luck with it!

I did a business degree before AAT, before ACCA, which accounts for my deminished motivation :)

There's a few i've got my eye on to do post-ACCA too, lol. I think i'm a glutten for punishment..

Diploma in International Financial Reporting
    Certificate in International Auditing

lol.
Privacy Policy