2004 pev 2.1 past exam paper

Options
noodles
noodles Registered Posts: 308 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Help, anyone able to tell me how you get the stock turnover in this question and labour capacity and efficienty, really struggling trying to get to the answer.

thank you

Comments

• noodles
    Options
    Had a cup of tea and now resolved the laour ratio's but still need help with stock turnover, information is:-
    Sales 2750000
    O stock 200000
    cost of prod 2329600
    c stock 240000
    cost of sales 2289600

no desks sold 11000
    no desks prod 11200

what is stock turnover in months, answer is 1.2 but how do you get this????
  • anitag
    anitag Registered Posts: 17 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    stock turnover

closing stock / cost of sales x 12
    240000/2289600 x 12 =1.25

i think, can't explain it though just seem to recall the ratio!
    THE ABOVE ESTIMATES HOW LONG STOCKS WILL BE HELD BEFORE BEING SOLD NOT THE STOCK TURNOVER--SORRY
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    Please re-read the question and then re-read the data
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • noodles
    Options
    My notes tell me cos/c stock x 12 and this is why I can not understand why it is 1.2
    We have the cos of 2289600 and stock of 240000 as mentioned above but cant keep thinking it has something to do with no desks produced less sold - Is anitag right?
  • noodles
    Options
    Okay, just looked up stock turnover ratio which is what I said but stock turnover in days is the opposite way round, now I understand. Just need to remember this for 24 hrs!
  • anitag
    anitag Registered Posts: 17 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Now I'm confused can you explain it to me?was i right to begin with?
  • noodles
    Options
    Stock Turnover Ratio
    To analyse stocks a little further it is possible to use ratio analysis. The STOCK TURNOVER RATIO shows how many times over the business has sold the value of its stocks during the year. It is calculated by:-

STOCK TURNOVER RATIO = Cost of goods sold
    Stocks

The higher the stock turnover the better, because money is then tied up for less time in stocks. A quicker stock turnover also means that the firm gets to make its profit on the stock quicker, and so the firm should be more competitive. However, it will vary between industries and so it is important to compare within an industry.

It is also possible to express the ratio as a number of days, which is sometimes an easier way to understand it. To do this use the following formula:-

STOCK TURNOVER RATIO (in days) = Average Stocks
    (Cost of goods sold/365)

The result of this ratio gives the "number of days that on average money is tied up in stocks". The longer this is, obviously the worse this is for the business as the money is not available to be used elsewhere. Since the stock is part of the working capital it is important that it is available for use promptly.
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    The question asks for: stock turnover in months

This is the data
    Closing finished goods stock £240,000 £200,000
    Cost of sales ...................£2,289,600 £2,400,000
    So the periods should be: 1.25 months and 1 month
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
Privacy Policy