Can't get out for Snow!

Options
2ยป

Comments

• katie2008
    katie2008 Registered Posts: 294 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I got a 28 mile trip each way three times this week to get to exam centre :(

Good luck all though x
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Thanks Sandy. I didnt get to sit the BTC Exam today either as the College is closed again. :sad:

My only worry is that I think I was the only one sitting the MAC exam and the BTC exam at that particular college as I think most students are on to the Computer Based Assessments. I think if there had been more people due to sit them that something would be done about it but cant see them bothering if it is only a few that are affected.

I am really gutted about this and now to top it all I cant get back home and am stuck in town. It is absolutely unbelievable there has been no grit at all put down anywhere and even the main streets in the town havent been gritted or cleared. They have had three days to get the roads cleared but apparently it is due to council cut backs. Where I work is just along the road from the brand new council offices and the first place the snow plough went was along their road and we havent seen one since! And on the local radios it said that council staff should stay at home but everyone else has to struggle into work.

Sorry for moaning everyone but things are not good at all this week.
  • jewels.p
    Options
    What like is the snow everywhere else I havent heard anyone else on here saying they didnt manage to sit their exams?
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Down at the area I live the snow is not too bad (which is unusual) but here at Blantyre where my office and yard is there is a fair bit. Not anywhere as bad as up your end, I have a lot of my family up in Huntly, Daviot and old Meldrum so I know how they are stuck.

My sister lives on a country estate just at the Tweed about 8 miles from Berwick Upon Tweed and they are badly affected also.

I will have a 25 mile drive and then underground to get to my DFS exam tomorrow. Some of that over country roads. I know there is advise here to stay overnight near the exam centre but I have a 6 year old son who has to get dropped at either his child minders or school in the morning so that option is out the window for me. I checked the venue's website and they are cancelling night classes tonight due to the weather, hopefully they will be open in the morning.
  • Sparkly
    Sparkly Registered Posts: 139 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I'm due to sit my PTC exam in Bristol on Friday, 40 miles away from where I live. I live in a village in the Forest of Dean and it only takes a bit of snow to make getting out and about pretty difficult (my car was snowed in for a week wehn we had the last snow!), especially when there is a steep in in any direction heading towards the big city and civilisation! We're forecast more snow from tomorrow afternoon through until Thursday night so I won't be rating my chances of getting out on Friday morning to get to the train station in Gloucester. I'm seriously considering trying to get a budget hotel overnight in Bristol on Thursday, but with the snow due to be pretty much all night Wed and on in to Thurs, can I really afford to wait until Thursday to try make my mission out to Bristol?! Bloomin Snow!!

I'm desperate to get the exam done and out of the way because I'm due to be on honeymoon when the June exam sitting will be on! And I really really dont want to have to transfer and do the CBE as I've seen what it's like on my revision course and I'd feel much more comfortable doing the old fashioned paper version!

Any recommendations for somewhere budget to stay in Bristol (where I can do my revios too)??!!
  • Lou1234
    Lou1234 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Have you seen the message on the homepage? Make sure the college get in touch with the AAT to confirm they have been closed.
  • donnas1977
    donnas1977 Registered Posts: 182 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I managed to sit my crs today, did take me 2 hrs to get in and a few didn't turn up though. main roads here are fine but snow has started again and its getting pretty bad :(
  • Claire321
    Claire321 Registered Posts: 209 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I'm due to sit my PTC exam in Bristol on Friday, 40 miles away from where I live. I live in a village in the Forest of Dean and it only takes a bit of snow to make getting out and about pretty difficult (my car was snowed in for a week wehn we had the last snow!), especially when there is a steep in in any direction heading towards the big city and civilisation! We're forecast more snow from tomorrow afternoon through until Thursday night so I won't be rating my chances of getting out on Friday morning to get to the train station in Gloucester. I'm seriously considering trying to get a budget hotel overnight in Bristol on Thursday, but with the snow due to be pretty much all night Wed and on in to Thurs, can I really afford to wait until Thursday to try make my mission out to Bristol?! Bloomin Snow!!

I'm desperate to get the exam done and out of the way because I'm due to be on honeymoon when the June exam sitting will be on! And I really really dont want to have to transfer and do the CBE as I've seen what it's like on my revision course and I'd feel much more comfortable doing the old fashioned paper version!

Any recommendations for somewhere budget to stay in Bristol (where I can do my revios too)??!!

Unfortunately hotels in Bristol tend to be expensive. Even the Premier Inn & Travelodge on the edge of the city (for example Cribbs Causeway) are ยฃ60 - ยฃ80. The only thing I can suggest without spending lots of money, is maybe a Days Inn at the services (either at Michaelwood between J13 & J14 - M5 or at Portishead J19 on M5 depending on where your exam actually is). I know it's not exactly a nice place to stay, but at least you would be near the motorway, which should be well gritted to get to your exam.
  • Jaylosan
    Jaylosan Registered Posts: 7 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    Snowday?

My venue has been closed yesterday and today but are trying to reopen for tomorrow, dont know if the buses are running, and there are no gritters out on the roads at all and more snow headed this way, I so dont want to have to add another onto next years itinery its long enough as it is!
  • SusieQtips
    SusieQtips Registered Posts: 65 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    jewels.p

If it makes you feel any better, I was due to sit my PTC cbe today and I have been snowed in. The road to my college is the highest in England and it was closed. My tutor has contacted the AAT and they have agreed for me to sit at another sitting on Friday, (so it seems they are being very considerate of the weather). I'm still waiting to hear if the college can sort it out, but the way the snow is coming down I can't see it being open on Friday either. We had 20cm at 8pm tonight and it's still coming down.

What made it worse for me was I was the only one who couldn't get there due to my location, college was open and everyone else has taken it today.

It is so annoying when you are well prepared and studied out to the point where you can't bear to look at the books anymore and just want to get it over and done with.

The only positive thing to come out of this is, no one could get to work either so we've all been given the day off.

I hope you manage to sort it and you are not alone. You were lucky you could stay at your mums, my greatest fear is getting there and not being able to get home again.
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I really do feel sorry for those of you sitting exams this week and wondering wether you're actually going to get there cos of the weather. It's been snowing constantly almost since 6pm here in Sheffield and my husband keeps saying 'there's no way you're going to work tomorrow', am not happy cos my boss has a BMW X5 and even in good weather doesn't leave home until he's ready, usually about 11am. Hopefully buses will be running, although hubby is sure they won't be, cos my boss will be moaning if any of us don't turn up. At least that's all I have to worry about, well apart from we should be going to the lake district on Friday. Fingers crossed the roads will be clear on Friday and good luck to all of you sitting exams and I do hope you manage to get there the rest of the week.
  • jilt
    Options
    Is it ever going to stop snowing?! :001_unsure:
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    We finally got our 2 1/2 minutes of snow yesterday at about 4.00pm. It was very tiny and didnt settle, (well 2 1/2 minutes- can I really expect that to settle)!! But it brightened my day and was happy for the rest of the evening!

Back to wind, cold and clouds for the rest of the week!!

Oh well, stick to what you know best i guess!

x
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    It's truly horrific here in West Sussex. Cars abandoned everywhere 'cos drivers have forgotten their de-icers and scrapers. Mums and children almost freezing to death sitting in their cars outside their homes, disgracefully kept waiting for the RAC to turn up so they can be driven the 200 yards to school. Trains running shockingly late instead of the usual 'like it or piss off' late.

The carnage 6mm of snow can bring to the south-east...
  • jewels.p
    Options
    Imagine what the carnage two feet has brought to Scotland!...............and still no salt on the roads :mad:
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Can you sub-title that for me please Jewels: unfortunately I can't read Scottish?
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Nothing here yet, other then some sleet most of the day yesterday. O and some hail, but nothing settled and the roads were completely dry this morning, with no ice or anything.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Plenty here buses stopped for about an hour was getting worried but they have started again please tho let the snow go in NE by next thursday
  • jewels.p
    Options
    Can ye please tell Blobby no tae mess wi me this week as I am no a happy bunny!
  • Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Yay we have no snow here (not significant amout anyway) but it was really windy driving back from exam, thought i hand a puncture with how uncontrolable the car was
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options

yer feckin' right! LOL although bunnies are not very scottish?

anyway only snow here was on tuesday early morning at 3AM (yes i was awake studying) but not much to be honest i am quite glad that i only had to walk 20 min to my venue :)
  • A-Vic
    Options

Robert its ok i'll translate - BACKOFFFFFF :lol:
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Eight inches of snow here and still bloody coming down...
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    They keep forecasting more and more snow here in the NW, but a mere dusting where I am.

Damn, wanted an excuse to walk to the pub in the festive weather, will just continue to endlessly drearily study away.
  • jilt
    Options
    Eight inches of snow here and still bloody coming down...

Hey you've got a good few inches to go to catch us up!! lol
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Well heating on ready for the big freeze tonight according to the weather no snow but expected minus 12 brrrruuuhhhhh
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    well due to an epic amount of rain last night, the 20/25cm of snow on my drive is no more.

Whilst i will be happy to return to normal soon, it did make things look nice :D
Privacy Policy