Home For accounting professionals General accounting discussion
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Tax Refund

jow774jow774 Trusted RegularRegistered Posts: 465
I have just done a new clients self assessment return online for them and they got a refund. They have now spoke to a "friend" who has told them they could have got £3000 refund on a wage of £14000, and having paid £2700 of this tax through cis, is this viable? Do HMRC give refunds in excess of tax paid? Am I being thick?


  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    As far as i am aware they will adjust their code with a coding notice giving them a larger allowence,however you can write to HMRC and ask them not to adjust and to just send the money directly to them - anyone correct me if am wrong please
  • jow774jow774 Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 465
    No, this is cis. He has received his refund which was lower than £3k which I calculated based on his expenses (Im sure it was right) but some "accountant friend" has told him that he could have got him £3k, but hes only paid £2700 approx in tax. So I wondered if there were circumstances were the HMRC would pay a refund of more than the total tax paid?
  • MonsoonMonsoon Font Of All Knowledge FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 4,071
    That sounds like 'man down the pub' talk to me.
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    I agree with monsoon sounds like the usual i know a guy talk, when it comes to refunds everyone is an accountant :) you have the books and records and know how much he was entilied too
  • jow774jow774 Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 465
    Thanks for that A-Vic and Monsoon I reckon your right, ive been working on personal tax at work for 10 years or more and as soon as you do it alone you seem to doubt yourself, lol.
Sign In or Register to comment.