Tax Refund

jow774
jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
I have just done a new clients self assessment return online for them and they got a refund. They have now spoke to a "friend" who has told them they could have got £3000 refund on a wage of £14000, and having paid £2700 of this tax through cis, is this viable? Do HMRC give refunds in excess of tax paid? Am I being thick?

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    As far as i am aware they will adjust their code with a coding notice giving them a larger allowence,however you can write to HMRC and ask them not to adjust and to just send the money directly to them - anyone correct me if am wrong please
  • jow774
    No, this is cis. He has received his refund which was lower than £3k which I calculated based on his expenses (Im sure it was right) but some "accountant friend" has told him that he could have got him £3k, but hes only paid £2700 approx in tax. So I wondered if there were circumstances were the HMRC would pay a refund of more than the total tax paid?
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    That sounds like 'man down the pub' talk to me.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I agree with monsoon sounds like the usual i know a guy talk, when it comes to refunds everyone is an accountant :) you have the books and records and know how much he was entilied too
  • jow774
    Thanks for that A-Vic and Monsoon I reckon your right, ive been working on personal tax at work for 10 years or more and as soon as you do it alone you seem to doubt yourself, lol.
Privacy Policy