ACCA - allowable expense?

Options
2»

Comments

• Rachel
    Rachel Registered Posts: 348 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Sadly their admin is poor at the best of times and worse at results time, try emailing they are supposed to get back to you within a certain time frame, there has been another post on this matter this week. I think the thread is ATT/ACCA and maybe of use.
  • CPenney
    CPenney Registered Posts: 32 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi Kellyp - I have a recent post on this too - ATT/ACCA - I'm in the same position as you - I phoned ACCA to confirm (after being told previously by a member of their team that I could do Self Assesment) and was told that self assesment is not allowed! Real dilemma at the moment!x
  • hanalav123
    hanalav123 Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi does anyone know if it is ok to be a full member of AAT and a student member of acca, whilst working for an accountants firm?
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Yes you are allowed to work for someone else i.e. be employed
  • kellyp
    kellyp Registered Posts: 44 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi CPenney,
    although this sucks, im kinda glad im not the only one having trouble with this sort of thing!! it is sooooo frustrating particularly as I have already done 3 ACCA exams!
    I still haven't had a response from the ACCA yet..... its been over 2 months now and have sent several letters to chase them up!! LOL
  • shooter7shooter
    shooter7shooter Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hello Kelly,

I was in same position as yourself and received differing advice from acca themselves on three different occasions, this along with being told if i wanted a practising certificate from them after passing all the exams and work experience requirements i would have to forfeit my exemptions and resit the knowledge based module was enough to make me decide not to continue my studies with them.
    I must say it felt like a relief when i made the decision not to continue and concentrate on building my own practice. From my experience it seemed to me that acca is one of those associations which is only concerned with having their hands in your pockets.

Kelly I am not trying to dissuade you from acca and wish you the best of luck if you do decide to continue your studies, but ask yourself if the time and cost justifies the title, after all what you can do with acca that you can't with the AAT. Yes i admit the acca title is more prestigous than the aat but it is experience that counts, especially today!

Kind regards,

Stuart.
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    along with being told if i wanted a practising certificate from them after passing all the exams and work experience requirements i would have to forfeit my exemptions and resit the knowledge based module was enough to make me decide not to continue my studies with them.

What?! If we want a practicing certificate we have to take the knowledge module that we have already been granted exemptions from? So passing the fundamentals and professionals levels aren't enough for them? What's the point of granting exemptions if they then decide you're not exempt at all?!

That's absurd!
  • shooter7shooter
    shooter7shooter Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hello Rozzi,

I was informed that due to passing the AAT over 5 years ago i could still claim the exemptions, however if i wanted a practising certificate frrom them i would have to forfeit my exemptions. It may be worth checking yourself though if this applies to everybody.

Regards Shooter
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Thanks Shooter.

So it might just be because you passed the AAT a while ago then. I don't know yet if I'll be applying for a PC, it will all depend on what job I have when I finally do qualify (a few years away yet) and whether I can get the 3 years post qualified experience.

Has anyone else got a PC without having to forfeit the exemptions?
Privacy Policy