Anyone else struggling?

Options
keane155
keane155 Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hi,

Over the last few weeks I have been really struggling to get myself to study. I've done personal tax and DFS (CBA's) and am pretty much there with my unit 10 project, but can't get myself to finish it!

I had no problem finding the motivation for the last two units, and was able to study through lunchtimes, after work, weekends etc, but since taking a week off from studying at half term I just cannot get into it again!

I have the financial performance exam in a month and start business tax tomorrow, and then we have budgeting to do, it just seems like everything is just work and college and college work.

Moan over lol, just want to find out whether it is just me or whether anyone else feels the same? Hopefully one day soon the motivation will pick up a bit otherwise I've got no chance in the next exam!!

Emma :)

Comments

• nc82
    nc82 Registered Posts: 33 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Hi,

Over the last few weeks I have been really struggling to get myself to study. I've done personal tax and DFS (CBA's) and am pretty much there with my unit 10 project, but can't get myself to finish it!

I had no problem finding the motivation for the last two units, and was able to study through lunchtimes, after work, weekends etc, but since taking a week off from studying at half term I just cannot get into it again!

I have the financial performance exam in a month and start business tax tomorrow, and then we have budgeting to do, it just seems like everything is just work and college and college work.

Moan over lol, just want to find out whether it is just me or whether anyone else feels the same? Hopefully one day soon the motivation will pick up a bit otherwise I've got no chance in the next exam!!

Emma :)

I can relate to what your saying I qualified last month and became a full member. In my final year I suffered badly from lack of motivation, put off revision and left unit 10 until 2 weeks before it was due I had to keep telling myself how great it will be to qualify and doors it will open in future! It does feel like all your doing is work work work but its for a very short time really and rewards are handsome stick at it :-)
  • keane155
    Options
    nc82 wrote: ยป
    I can relate to what your saying I qualified last month and became a full member. In my final year I suffered badly from lack of motivation, put off revision and left unit 10 until 2 weeks before it was due I had to keep telling myself how great it will be to qualify and doors it will open in future! It does feel like all your doing is work work work but its for a very short time really and rewards are handsome stick at it :-)

Thanks nc82 and well done on qualifying last month. I am hoping that it will be worth it, I still don't work in accounts yet, I'm an administrator at the moment - I have been applying for accounts jobs but I am rubbish at interviews! I keep thinking three more exams before the middle of June - it doesn't seem long at all but I don't seem to care at the moment - hopefully I won't put the work off for too long!! :) I normally find it easy to study but there just seems no end to it this year lol.
  • jo21977
    jo21977 Registered Posts: 22 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, i'm in the same boat except i've just failed FNST ahhh! On top of submitting my Unit 10, studying persoanl tax and costing I have had to go back and revise for my retake. I will be sooo glad when the summer is here and hopefully passed and finished!
  • Becky V
    Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Hi i feel exactly the same after failing my fnst my first exam for level 4! I am trying to get on with unit 10 and studying personal tax but have to revise again for fnst! Now i think is it all too much but really want this qualification but have lost my enthusiasm and motivation!! Hopefully it will come back soon! :)
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I can totally relate to this thread too. I am now qualified but towards the end of last year I was really struggling with motivation. I couldnt be bothered studying anymore but after a reminder by friends and family and also encouragement on here I carried on and it was so worth it now as I realise all the hard work has finally paid off. And it feels great when you can use those letters after your name!

I AM NOW GIVING YOU ALL THE AAT FORUM KICK UP THE BUM AND MOTIVATION TO CARRY ON! :laugh:
  • anitag
    anitag Registered Posts: 17 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    Me too!!! Having CBA's there is no respite you study, do exam, study for next topic, whilst waiting anxiously for the results. another exam , more study, more worry another exam and it goes on--- thats without having to fit in re-revision for re-sits and trying to complete a project!!! Role on June when hopefully it will all be over. Then the stress of finding a job!!!

Looked at my ICAS project from ICAS for the first time today-- OMG! Where to start.
  • Sparkly
    Sparkly Registered Posts: 139 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    It's so nice to read this and realise you're not on your own!
    I would really like to qualify and get everything done before June so that I don't have to transfer to the new standards.
    With 4 skills tests and a unit 10 project still to complete I feel like I'm sinking fast and have no hope of achieving this! Especially with the added complication of planning and sorting bits for my Wedding in May - wedding things always seem more enticing than studying!
    I am lucky that I will be able to do my skills tests in my workplace, but with a manager who is hard to pin down, and units I purchased being out of date, 3 weeks after I had hoped to get the first skills test out of the way and I haven't even got one ordered yet!
  • jenny3549
    jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Thank goodness it's not just me! I have been useless since taking personal tax before Xmas. Gave myself Christmas off as I'd pretty much gone straight through without a break since Feb but then couldn't start again.

Decided to finally decorate my study at the beginning of Jan giving myself a month to get the walls, floor etc done and promising I'd pick up books by beginning of Feb but.... huge family crisis from mid Jan to mid Feb with unexpected house guest kind of put paid to that.

Just when that gets sorted out, kitchen floor collapses and have to have builders in, complete chaos etc etc. That's sorted but am now planning new kitchen (although have finally put desk together).

I can't procrastinate anymore - this is getting ridiculous! How come last year I did 10 months straight with no problem?

Aargh.......
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I find it helps not being too ambitious, a couple of short evening sessions and then half a day at weekend. Keeps it more managable, or else its easier to keep putting off.
  • keane155
    Options
    Thank you very much for the replies everyone! It's nice to know that it's not just me - normally I have no trouble studying but I think there is just so much this year and it is just one exam after another, Financial Performance April, Business Tax May, Budgeting June!

I've decided to do a bit of work this afternoon after having a couple of weeks of doing no studying apart from attending college and I cannot find my financial performance tutorial anywhere! I think I've probably left it at work or something, but that means I've not done the homework for tomorrow either - great! :(

I'm trying to do some questions out of the workbook, but am not getting very far! I really need to try and get studying hard now if I am going to pass these exams!

Thanks again. :-)

Emma
  • PGM
    Options
    Something I used to do; come into work early, and do an hours study after my 7.5 working hours. It had the added benefit of making me look really dedicated at work :D
  • rawtec
    rawtec Registered Posts: 17 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    I was about to post a topic on this same issue. The irony is that in the summer I was raring to go with text books ordered early. Due to the delay in the change from NVQ to QCF, I only received the books a month or two into the college term which seemed to deflate my enthusiasm knowing the amount of work that lay ahead.

I delayed my first two exams due to illness, which put me two weeks behind (passed the Personal Tax, most definitely have failed Financial Performance, as my mind went blank on the first question). My Dad passed away last month, so I'm now 5/6 weeks behind on the Financial Statements and I've not even looked at the case study yet.

Not sure where this lack of motivation comes from, fatigue maybe after 2 + half years of study, work and bringing up a young family, who knows!

What I do know is that I want this badly, I want it for my career and for myself but the workload this year is crippling and I'm flying by my fingertips!

Well back to the revision :)
  • PGM
    Options
    rawtec wrote: ยป
    I was about to post a topic on this same issue. The irony is that in the summer I was raring to go with text books ordered early. Due to the delay in the change from NVQ to QCF, I only received the books a month or two into the college term which seemed to deflate my enthusiasm knowing the amount of work that lay ahead.

I delayed my first two exams due to illness, which put me two weeks behind (passed the Personal Tax, most definitely have failed Financial Performance, as my mind went blank on the first question). My Dad passed away last month, so I'm now 5/6 weeks behind on the Financial Statements and I've not even looked at the case study yet.

Not sure where this lack of motivation comes from, fatigue maybe after 2 + half years of study, work and bringing up a young family, who knows!

What I do know is that I want this badly, I want it for my career and for myself but the workload this year is crippling and I'm flying by my fingertips!

Well back to the revision :)

When you're going through a tough time like that, don't worry about study! Its least of your worries. Just give yourself longer to complete the course, delaying it a bit really doesn't matter. Better to have the extra time to do it properly than add to your stress levels.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Totally agree with PGM here.

Those are circumstances that will need time and take priority over study. Delaying the study is healthier than to keep your head down in it to avoid dealing with the issues to just end up with a big burn out.
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I completely know the feeling , i had a big bust of confidence and energy when i passed my DFS and MAC in Feb so i took Unit 15 by the horns and started again to revise wanting to take the simulation however not long after i was promoted at work and therefore doing longer hours and my brain just is overloaded, also i am learning french at the same time.

Not only that, my husband's mum and one of his aunts were diagnosed with cancer ....they passed away this week so i have not had any energy or motivation at all.

I have now taken a deep breath .... i will renew my AAT memebership which will give me a whole year to plan also the units i have left so i rather prefer to take them slowly and with a good pace to know i am completely prepared than actually rush things....

I know that if i need motivation i can come over here and have my ass kicked.....i shouldnt like that but hey ho...what are friends for? :)
  • katie2008
    katie2008 Registered Posts: 294 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I submitted my project last night :) Two months early but oh well..

Just leaves, personal tax, business tax, financial statements, pending results from financial performance.

Oh and also have a baby, move house, have a life...

Good luck all!
  • rawtec
    rawtec Registered Posts: 17 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    PGM wrote: ยป
    When you're going through a tough time like that, don't worry about study! Its least of your worries. Just give yourself longer to complete the course, delaying it a bit really doesn't matter. Better to have the extra time to do it properly than add to your stress levels.
    Rinske wrote: ยป
    Totally agree with PGM here.

Those are circumstances that will need time and take priority over study. Delaying the study is healthier than to keep your head down in it to avoid dealing with the issues to just end up with a big burn out.

Thanks for the support.

Maybe I'm pushing myself too hard! I just didn't want the study to continue into the next college year for fear of never completing the course and having all the hard work so far rendered meaningless.
Privacy Policy