Ifa

jow774
jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
My boss keeps telling me I should register with the IFA. Upon investigation their fees are cheaper, you seem to get more for your money than AAT (Access to ICAEW library, a diary etc etc) and you get to call yourself an Incorporated Financial Accountant which I think sounds far better than Accounting Technician (which in all honesty sounds like glorified accounts clerk to me). I am wondering if being able to call myself an accountant would help me gain clients? What is everyone elses opinions on this?

Comments

• jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Don't you have to hold their qualification?

Ah no just answered my own question by checking out their website. So you'd register with them instead of AAT as Andrews says?
  • andrewtdk
    andrewtdk Registered Posts: 150 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Would you cancel your membership with the AAT? if not it would just be another subscription to pay each year so the free diary and library would have to come to the value of the subscription to make it worth while in my eyes.

It would add letters to your name but why not just refer to yourself as an AAT qualified accountant? That way you get the desired word in there without paying the extra costs
  • jow774
    No AAT offers exemption to associate level. They have also joined with the FTA (Federation of Taxation Advisors) and you can apply for reduced membership of that once you are a member. They then do a level 5 professional level qualification which gives more exemptions for chartered, it does sound tempting to me.
  • jow774
    andrewtdk wrote: »
    Would you cancel your membership with the AAT? if not it would just be another subscription to pay each year so the free diary and library would have to come to the value of the subscription to make it worth while in my eyes.

It would add letters to your name but why not just refer to yourself as an AAT qualified accountant? That way you get the desired word in there without paying the extra costs

Can you call yourself an aat qualified accountant on your advertising?

Its not all about the diary, honest, lol.
  • andrewtdk
    andrewtdk Registered Posts: 150 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I was thinking more for when you were speaking to people but with regards to advertising im not sure how much a lot of clients actualy care about qualifications.

Bacause i dont think it will be the first thing a lot of clients are looking for i would just descibe myself as an accountant and talk about the services i provide and just have a note at the bottom saying MIP under association of accounting technicions etc
  • jow774
    When I speak to people, even local brickkies etc they seem quite concerned with qualifications, more so than I expected. Whether it is because I am a woman, I dont know (didnt mean to sound sexist here but its a sad fact that some men do think women are less capable). I have defaintely been asked what qualifications I have and when I say AAT and then have to explain what an Accounting Technician is, it does get some doubting looks! People in my experience seem to want an accountant because that is who they think can do the job for them.
  • jilt
    I've only been asked once if I'm qualified and which qualification I have. I've only just finished AAT due to one reason and another, and even though I said I was only part way through the course they still came with me.
  • jow774
    Maybe its me then, lol. I must not look very professional!

I must admit Im not the most confident person when it comes to selling myself, but that is why the right to call myself an "accountant" rather than a technician appeals.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    jow774 wrote: »
    No AAT offers exemption to associate level.
    does it? I can only see AAT allowing entry to IFA Financial Accounting Executive membership which is one down from Associate (Letters Dip.FA, not AFA).

I'm really surprised you keep being asked what your quals are - I'm with Jill, 99% of people don't ask. But then I'm operating a high street office with staff etc so I guess it's assumed I'm qualified in something sensible (hahaha).

If you say your confidence needs a bit of work, then have a think about how you answer the "whats your qualification" question. My wording tends to be along the lines of "I'm an accountant with the AAT, which is one of the non-chartered accountancy qualifications, and it fully qualifies and licences me for the work you require and more." That nicely removes the need to say the dirty "T" word. :D And - if you are an accountant (as definied by the job you do and your experience) then you are entitled to call yourself an accountant.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: By exams, I am a qualified accounting technician. By my experience and by virtue of the job I do, I am a qualified accountant. And thus I call myself an accountant, not the dirty T word.

Back to the IFA, I get the impression it's a bit of a 'fringe' organisation, like the ICPA and isn't as well recognised as the AAT, even if it has the word 'accountant' in its name.
  • PeteLC
    PeteLC Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor ⭐
    It is all down to the way you sell yourself!

Be confident in your approach and when you talk and you should be fine!

If anyone asks what qualifications you have you can easily say something like:

"I am a qualified Accounts Technician with so many years experience behind me and run my own practice from home"

It's all about how you are viewed to other people so hold your head up high when you talk. If you show signs of weakness that's when they will start questioning you!

It doesn't really matter what qualification you have as long as you know what you are talking about then people will trust you.

That's my personal opinion anyway.
  • jow774
    Thanks monsoon and Pete, thats really helpful. I suppose when my clients build up the confidence thing will follow (she hopes, lol). I think your right about IFA, they dont seem as well recognised as AAT. But even their DipFA's call themselves Incorporated Financial Accountants which sounds so much more official, lol. Im a superficial girl, its all about the name (and the diary)!

It does seem that not many people on here have heard of IFA though so that cant be good.
  • PeteLC
    PeteLC Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor ⭐
    I must admit I have never heard of them until I read your thread!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    its all about the name (and the diary)!

So call yourself an accountant! It's not a protected name (like solicitor or doctor), any old Tom, D!ck or Harry can call themselves an accountant so there's certainly no problem with an AAT qualified calling themselves one :)
  • jilt
    Thanks monsoon and Pete, thats really helpful. I suppose when my clients build up the confidence thing will follow (she hopes, lol). I think your right about IFA, they dont seem as well recognised as AAT. But even their DipFA's call themselves Incorporated Financial Accountants which sounds so much more official, lol. Im a superficial girl, its all about the name (and the diary)!

It does seem that not many people on here have heard of IFA though so that cant be good.

Don't fret jow, your confidence will definitely build up. I remember meeting my first few clients and was really nervous beforehand, now I've got 50+ I don't bat an eyelid.

BTW Still love the pud! :001_smile:
  • jow774
    jilt wrote: »
    Don't fret jow, your confidence will definitely build up. I remember meeting my first few clients and was really nervous beforehand, now I've got 50+ I don't bat an eyelid.

BTW Still love the pud! :001_smile:

Thanks, lol. It is a very serious cat!
Privacy Policy