Advice please

Options
nebuk_1999
nebuk_1999 Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
Hello

I'm looking for some advice regarding a tradesperson whom I represent.

Basically the problem is as follows...

My client is a carpenter who was asked to fit a new kitchen for a customer. My client requested that the kitchen supplier visit the customers premesis to design the kitchen and provide and estimated cost of materials (units etc.) to my client. The kitchen supplier provided an estimate to my client, who then added labour etc to the estimate to provide a quote to the final customer.

The customer accepted the quote, my client ordered the kitchen units and materials from the supplier and fitted the kitchen.

However when the kitchen supplier then provided the invoice for materials to my client they have ammended the estimate and reduced discounts given on the estimate and the invoice is around £600 higher than the estimate (£6100 vs £5500). The estimate states it is valid until 6th June 2011 and the tax point on the invoice for the units ordered is 23rd May 2011.

Having gone back to the supplier they have told my client that he will have to pass the additional cost on to the end customer.

My client (and myself) feel that the estimate provided for the units should be honoured as the estimate is was within the valid expiry date indicated (6th July 11). What is the legal position regarding this? Can suppliers add costs onto estimates after the work has been completed?

Obviously sole traders in trades are used to pricing and quoting for jobs based on estimates from suppliers for the materials they need.

For further information the kitchen supplier is a nationwide supplier and a well known name.

I have advised my client not to pay the invoice until a credit note is issued and a revised invoice issued based on the estimate provided. If the estimate expiry date has expired I would say he should pay.

Please could somebody advise!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    Can't offer great advice other than Estimates and Quotes are different. If an estimate it is just that a quote should be honored unless the specification etc changes.

He could potentially pay the original amount and then dispute the difference.
    Regards,

Burg
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I agree with Burg.

Most major kitchen suppliers list out every item in fine detail. Surely something has been added to the order?
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    burg wrote: »

He could potentially pay the original amount and then dispute the difference.

Agreed. If the invoice is due for payment, I would pay the original amount only. At least that way they can't argue that he is trying to not pay - he knows the original amount is due and is willing to pay that.

Definitely dispute the excess though - even though it was an estimate not a quote, certainly if the discount amount has been amended that's a bit out of order.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Not really an accounting issue. I would suggest he takes a look at the original estimate again. Firstly it is very unusual for a supplier to provide an estimate, they are usually quotations and are subject to change over after the specified amount of time. Check the small print. I have had alot of experience in the building trade and have never come across a kitchen supplier who provides an estimate. In law, I would say that your client is bound to pay the invoiced amount as the estimate is an estimate, ie only a guide price. A quotation is the only way of securing a price, in my opinion anyway. Good luck.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    nebuk_1999 wrote: »
    The estimate states it is valid until 6th June 2011 and the tax point on the invoice for the units ordered is 23rd May 2011.

Sounds more like a quote than an estimate. To be so specific with the price, whereas an estimate because of its nature wouldn't usually be given a valid until date.

I think the supplier has made a mistake and is trying to pass it on to you. I think your client needs to take it further up in the company.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Fitters provide quotes for the installation, suppliers usually provide a price for their products.

I would wager the spec has changed since the original price, or extras have been added/required.

Which supplier was it? I am about to buy a kitchen myself and my fitter was given a long list of everything required for the fit, all individually priced, down to the very last fixing bolt.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I would wager the spec has changed since the original price, or extras have been added/required.

Definitely, the difficulty will be arguing whether the estimate/quote includes them, and if there is a full detailed list, and whether it was implied it was included. Tricky!
Privacy Policy