Any Advice for a 17 year old?

Options
charlton124
charlton124 Registered Posts: 6 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi,
I'm charlton and I'm 17 I am doing AAT lvl 2 and 3 fast track starting on the 14th of september. lvl 2 finishes in december and lvl 3 finshes in june. Just any advice of getting a job or workplacement or what stage should I start looking. Also any Do's and Don'ts, I might have the upper hand as I have been working as a silver service waiter for one year so I have good customer service skills. Also I have a ICT level 3 diploma with distinctions and Comptia A+. Do you think their is any chance of me getting a job in accounts.

Any Advice about any of the stuff you found hard or some mistakes you made which you learnt from would be great.

Comments

• Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I got my first job in accounts when I was 16 with no accounts experience so I hope I can help!

You should be looking for trainee/junior positions. Firstly, make sure your CV and covering letter are up to scratch. I receive quite a lot of speculative applications for trainee positions and I always make sure they are read if not by me by someone else but if there are any spelling/typing/grammatical errors at all it goes straight in the bin.

The fact that you have had a job at all is always a plus in my eyes so definitely expand on this to include your customer service/communication/team skills.

TBH, if I was employing you for an accounts role I don't really care that you have a diploma in ICT (sorry) but I would be interested to know whether you are competent in using excel and word and whether you have any experience of any accounting packages such as Sage.

As you have already begun studying be prepared for skills tests at the interview stage.

Good luck!
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Gem7321 wrote: »
    TBH, if I was employing you for an accounts role I don't really care that you have a diploma in ICT (sorry) but I would be interested to know whether you are competent in using excel and word and whether you have any experience of any accounting packages such as Sage.

I would care about the diploma in ICT, its a good indicator of interest in IT and therefore software packages. But would still ask specific questions about Excel , Word, Sage.

I've worked with a lot of people that lack basic computer skills, they're so necessary in a modern office. Without them it'd be like employing a joiner that can't use a drill.

If people can't use computers and struggle to get a job, they only have themselves to blame. Rant over :D
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    100% Agree with the computer skills, had a few people temp in the office who couldn't use Excel - even as a giant calculator. Basic computer skills are required when working in almost all offices.

Sage is useful as many accountancies use it (used to be covered in L2 as that is where i learnt it with my first accounting job via Connexions at 17).

Make sure CV is 100% accurate - I have applied for jobs and not received a response, I then reviewed my application and realised that I had made a few typos, or missed a question by not entering not applicable (rather than leaving it blank).
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    jorja1986 wrote: »
    100% Agree with the computer skills, had a few people temp in the office who couldn't use Excel - even as a giant calculator. Basic computer skills are required when working in almost all offices.

I very recently saw someone filling in spreadsheet totals by adding the numbers on a calculator!!

Fair enough it was a basic admin person, but these are the skills you need as a minumum, or so I thought...
  • charlton124
    Options
    Lol I know ICT skills are so important, go on any job website and look at the desired skills. My PC are pretty good, I have a question putting im a vibrant person in my person profile is this bad it shows I am an out going person but I dont know if some businesses like it. Also it be great it anyone could list me anything that might catch an eye as an employer maybe something different instead of saying the same things like 99% of the people like im a team player.
  • Dipak Thanki
    Dipak Thanki Registered Posts: 135 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi

I would advise you to find any sort of accounts/finance/admin work experience at the moment. You are only 17 and have the chance to build your career from the bottom.

Try at charities or family businesses? You can help out in the finance side (handling money etc) which will boost your chances for getting future employment in the accounting sector.

I worked at my uncles travel agent and did all the finances and really learnt a lot. This hasn't gotten me a job but I have started to receive interviews.

I wouldn't bother applying for jobs for the time being unless you fit the bill perfectly. Experience is the key so build your C.V so that you can excel in the office with experience.

Once you have solid work experience on your C.V and have competed level 2 & 3, approach agencies and apply to tons of jobs. I mean you should be applying to 50 jobs a week. I applied to 40 jobs and received two interviews!

I'm considering self teaching myself SAGE and SAP to a certain extent so that I can comment about it on interviews to show my dedication.

Good luck.

Dipak
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I have to say I disagree. 40 jobs a week sounds like your just applying to anything that comes along and not actually thinking about whether you would actually want to work for that company. Which will most certainly put off a prospective employer, they don't want to have to find your replacement in six months cause you found something more suitable. I would also say that it doesn't matter what level you are at when applying for jobs, there are ones out there for people with no accounts experience, and these are the sorts of positions you would be applying to , no matter what level of AAT you are at. In fact I've ward people mention on here that they are struggling to get positions as they have no experience but are deemed 'too qualified' because they have almost completed the AAT.

If you are unable to get an entry level accounts position, considering temping to get some office experience, this always helps. And it will develop your general office skills. You may find that if the company you temp for like you, they may think of you if they are filling a permanent vacancy.

All in all, there are many different ways to go about finding that perfect job, just remember that all office experience if valuable.
  • Gem7321
    Options
    Agree with JaffasGirl
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    PGM wrote: »
    I very recently saw someone filling in spreadsheet totals by adding the numbers on a calculator!!

Fair enough it was a basic admin person, but these are the skills you need as a minumum, or so I thought...

I've seen someone do that too LOL.
  • jenny3549
    jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    JaffasGirl wrote: »
    I have to say I disagree. 40 jobs a week sounds like your just applying to anything that comes along and not actually thinking about whether you would actually want to work for that company. Which will most certainly put off a prospective employer, they don't want to have to find your replacement in six months cause you found something more suitable.

Also agree with Jaffasgirl!

I've had enough CVs to read where it is quite clear that the person has no clue as to the position they are applying to. It's a waste of everyone's time.

But there are jobs out there which will give you a start. Don't forget to tailor your CV for the one you are applying for! Look up the firm on the internet for background information.

Good luck - your enthusiasm will get you a chance. It will always come across and employers will like it
  • charlton124
    Options
    Thanks for you input guys, Yeah their is no point sending off for that many jobs becuase that just shows you dont believe in your CV and just thinking I send it anywhere. Yeah like i said I do have quite good IT skills and mainly alot of common sense ever more then some adults :). I defo have a look at some entry level jobs. The thing is I dont even mind where I work even if it means moving away from home. I live in birmingham and dont want to be stuck here so I will be looking for a work at minimum of 12k with is likely some people my age havent go a total clue what their on about. Cheers for your input once again and if any has anything else to add go for it.

Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who make it happen.
  • charlton124
    Options

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Thats well funny, how do the stupid people end up getting the jobs.
  • Gem7321
    Options
    I will be looking for a work at minimum of 12k

Erm... really? If your employer is providing study support as well this is a little unreasonable for an entry level position.

My first job was £8250pa + study support :D
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm charlton and I'm 17 I am doing AAT lvl 2 and 3 fast track starting on the 14th of september. lvl 2 finishes in december and lvl 3 finshes in june. Just any advice of getting a job or workplacement or what stage should I start looking. Also any Do's and Don'ts, I might have the upper hand as I have been working as a silver service waiter for one year so I have good customer service skills. Also I have a ICT level 3 diploma with distinctions and Comptia A+. Do you think their is any chance of me getting a job in accounts.

Any Advice about any of the stuff you found hard or some mistakes you made which you learnt from would be great.

My advice is that there are a lot of employers looking for good written English when they recruit staff. Please don't argue about numbers or about modern approaches. This is a fact.
    If you can write well, you can overcome the first hurdle in securing a job in accounts. Once you are there be very honest outlining what you can do, and amazingly what you are not able to do.

Accountancy positions demand a high level of honesty, and if you are not honest about yourself, how can anyone trust you to produce fair and trustworthy accounts.

I know other contributors have taken a different view to me over how much you should be paid. I maintain that if you set a realistic wage and explain why you want that (if asked) you would impress me a lot more than someone volunteering to work for nothing (or peanuts) to gain some experience. First and foremost accountants want staff who can contribute something useful, and expect to pay for it.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • JaffasGirl
    Options
    Gem7321 wrote: »
    I will be looking for a work at minimum of 12k

Erm... really? If your employer is providing study support as well this is a little unreasonable for an entry level position.

My first job was £8250pa + study support :D

To be honest, this is not much above minimum wage, so really it is quite fair.
  • jamieleeuk
    jamieleeuk Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    JaffasGirl wrote: »
    To be honest, this is not much above minimum wage, so really it is quite fair.

12k per annum is roughly the amuont of NMW (National Minimum Wage) for a 21 year old+

But your 17...

As of 1st October this year, you'll be entitled to an NMW of £3.68 per hour or £6,697.60 (3.68x35x52)

When you turn 18, you'll be entitled to an NMW of £4.98 per hour or £9,063.60 (4.98x35x52)

I started working in an accounts related role at 18, having done 2 A Levels in computing but I had no accounts experience. I started on a salary of £10,500 with study benefits; I counted myself as one of the luckier ones.

Times are quite difficult at the moment for employers, so don't be alarmed if you're not offered the salary you think you should be getting. On the flip side, some firms value some roles differently than other firms (I have 2 friends in differing firms doing almost identical roles, one is paid roughly 40% more than the other).

All the best!
    Jamie
  • JaffasGirl
    Options
    jamieleeuk wrote: »
    12k per annum is roughly the amuont of NMW (National Minimum Wage) for a 21 year old+

But your 17...

As of 1st October this year, you'll be entitled to an NMW of £3.68 per hour or £6,697.60 (3.68x35x52)

When you turn 18, you'll be entitled to an NMW of £4.98 per hour or £9,063.60 (4.98x35x52)

I started working in an accounts related role at 18, having done 2 A Levels in computing but I had no accounts experience. I started on a salary of £10,500 with study benefits; I counted myself as one of the luckier ones.

Sorry! you are quite right! lol I forget these things being the grand old age of 23 lol
  • Gem7321
    Options
    And the apprentice rate is £2.50!
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I FINISHED AAT on £13.5k in Scotland.

Moved to London and more than doubled that :D.
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options

I've seen students do this on the old Unit 34 assessment (the one where they were being assessed on their ability to use spreadsheets and formula)
Privacy Policy