Working Abroad Tax Code Query

mattwilkes85 Registered Posts: 11 Regular contributor ⭐ ? ⭐
Can anybody help with the following;

I have a client who moved to Oman on the 9th May this year. He is being paid for the work he is doing over there from the UK, but on a nil tax code.

Does anyone know how long he needs to work out there and then return by before he doesn't have to pay tax on his income?

Have been trying to find an answer to this for days.

Any help would be much appreciated.



  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002
    It's not the length of service which matters, the rule is as follows:

    'If someone's absense from the UK spans an entire tax year (ie 6th April one year to 5th April the next), then they'll be treated as non-resident for the entire length of the stay'

    So your client will have to stay until 5th April 2013 to qualify.

    I'm pretty sure that they have to be employed overseas for the entire time, ie if their employment ceased in March they wouldn't qualify as non resident, even if they stayed overseas until mid April. And of course the other thing you need to watch out for is that they don't exceed the visiting allowance.
Privacy Policy