Attitude on other forums

Options
GinnyBee
GinnyBee Registered, Tutor Posts: 131 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
Has anyone else run into issues on other forums where your post is torn apart by someone who thinks they know better than you? I posted to help someone on a forum and was basically told I was wrong (I'm not). How do you deal with this, do you ignore it or post your coments back? I am aware I am newish to the forum and they've been there for some time so maybe there are some unwritten rules I don't know about?

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    Depends. If it is a technical issue that is a matter of fact I would argue it. Sometimes even facts can be interpreted differently. I tend not to see the bad in comments so don't always notice. If it is down to opinion then I don't always bother. Things like how to look after your children for example. Who is right / wrong is clearly a matter of opinion and nobody realy is either/or apart from in extreme cases.
    Regards,

Burg
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    You get some people who always think they know better. I have been on this Forum for a long time (not as long as some may I add) and over the years some replies have really annoyed me. I used to respond in the beginning but learned to ignore them as time went on. In my opinion you posting to try to help someone is kind no matter if it is right or wrong you are trying your best to help someone who is stuck and that is all that matters. Just carry on and ignore it.
  • GinnyBee
    Options
    Thanks for your replies! Good to know I'm not alone. I've always found this forum to be friendly and fair (there have of course been the odd moments to discord but there's bound to be right!). The issue I had was being made out to have said something other than I had by someone who seems from their other posts to be rather opinionated and "always right" if you know what I mean. I'm going to just carry on and ignore it unless anyone picks up on it and comments. Good advice thanks :)
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Just remember, no-one 'wins' an argument..!

I used to get drawn into petty wars of words on forums, even this one at times. It's never a pleasant feeling, even if you come out on top, so nowadays I generally choose not to be drawn in and feel all the better for it. I also find being right about everything all the time helps. ;)
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I think often it is also hard to pick up tone on the internet. Sometimes I read something and think it seems a bit off, but then with fresh eyes it seems totally fine.
  • GinnyBee
    Options
    I also find being right about everything all the time helps. ;)

Your right about not getting drawn in Dean. Of course it does help when your are as you state above :biggrin:
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    Options
    uknitty wrote: Β»
    I think often it is also hard to pick up tone on the internet. Sometimes I read something and think it seems a bit off, but then with fresh eyes it seems totally fine.

I was thinking exactly that as I was reading the opening comments, I'm guilty of being on both sides of that one - sometimes someone else's comment seems totally misinformed or unhelpful and it's easy to want to 'rip in' to the 'ignorant moron'... until you read it the next day and realise you'd misread or misunderstood or just assumed they were implying something they weren't!

Then, equally, you can ask a question or make a perfectly genuine comment and some of the replies can seem quite rude, like you're being attacked. I think being new to a forum doesn't help either because you don't know other people's mannerisms nor they yours.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I also find being right about everything all the time helps. ;)

hahahahahahahah!
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    burg wrote: Β»
    Sometimes even facts can be interpreted differently.

Thats what a lot of things come down to. And even if someone is doing something wrong, its better to look at why and let it be a learning exercise for all, than write it off as stupidity.

The worst thing you can be is more confident than your skills allow!

And, it is embarassing when you make a comment that turn out to be totally wrong :D
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    Options
    PGM wrote: Β»

And, it is embarassing when you make a comment that turn out to be totally wrong :D

Nooooo, that never happens to me! :(
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Happens on a daily basis over here :D
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    GinnyBee wrote: Β»
    Has anyone else run into issues on other forums where your post is torn apart by someone who thinks they know better than you? I posted to help someone on a forum and was basically told I was wrong (I'm not). How do you deal with this, do you ignore it or post your coments back? I am aware I am newish to the forum and they've been there for some time so maybe there are some unwritten rules I don't know about?

GinnyBee
    Don't worry. A few years ago a couple of contributors took issue with me over the calculation of prompt payment discount APR calculations. It went on a bit, but it exposed an over reliance on text books on these two contributors part.
    Interestingly I later discussed the issue with both the publisher, and later with the examiner.

Since then the syllabus has changed and the approach needed has now been redefined in the debt management and credit control guidance.

So stick with it when you know you are right, and don't worry about criticism/abuse from people who are misinformed.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
Privacy Policy