Bit late to register for online return?

PGMPGM Font Of All KnowledgePosts: 1,954Registered
An "associate" of mine asked for advice on filing their online TR. However they hadn't even requested the activation code to use the online return.

They applied for the activation code yesterday, is there anyway to speed things up to avoid the fine?

Comments

  • JmannJmann Feels At Home Posts: 68Registered
    HMRC says, they take about 7 days, but sometimes they do take about 2 working days, and your associate might be lucky.

    You have until midnight of 2nd of Feb, or agent can file it using commercial software.
  • MonsoonMonsoon Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 4,071FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant
    Jmann wrote: »
    or agent can file it using commercial software.

    To be on the safe side, this.
  • PGMPGM Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 1,954Registered
    Monsoon wrote: »
    To be on the safe side, this.

    Can they do this without waiting for the activation code for online TR?
  • clegganatorclegganator Well-Known Posts: 184Registered
    PGM wrote: »
    Can they do this without waiting for the activation code for online TR?

    All the agent needs is the UTR, doesn't need the activation code.
  • PGMPGM Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 1,954Registered
    Thank you. I'll let them know this is the best option to avoid a fine. Assuming they can find one that still wants last minute messes to sort out!
  • JmannJmann Feels At Home Posts: 68Registered
    PGM wrote: »
    Thank you. I'll let them know this is the best option to avoid a fine. Assuming they can find one that still wants last minute messes to sort out!

    As an agent you can file the tax return even without submitting the 64-8 online using the commercial software. But AFAIK the agent have to register him/herself for online filing! If the associate is not registered online, I am afraid I am pretty sure that the agent can not tax return online. If you get stuck pm me and I know someone who can file the tax return for you.
    John
  • MonsoonMonsoon Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 4,071FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant
    PGM wrote: »
    Thank you. I'll let them know this is the best option to avoid a fine. Assuming they can find one that still wants last minute messes to sort out!
    If you've got all the information prepared and it's just a case of data entry, I'll do it for £50+VAT on Wednesday.

    However, if it's actually a mess..... :lol:
  • PGMPGM Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 1,954Registered
    Monsoon wrote: »
    If you've got all the information prepared and it's just a case of data entry, I'll do it for £50+VAT on Wednesday.

    However, if it's actually a mess..... :lol:

    Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. I've kind of put it back into their court for now, I'll see what happens.
  • clegganatorclegganator Well-Known Posts: 184Registered
    Jmann wrote: »
    As an agent you can file the tax return even without submitting the 64-8 online using the commercial software. But AFAIK the agent have to register him/herself for online filing! If the associate is not registered online, I am afraid I am pretty sure that the agent can not tax return online. If you get stuck pm me and I know someone who can file the tax return for you.
    John

    If using commercial software you can.
  • deanshepherddeanshepherd Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 1,809Registered
    ^ I think you need to re-read the first line of Jmann's post..
  • clegganatorclegganator Well-Known Posts: 184Registered
    ^ I think you need to re-read the first line of Jmann's post..

    I think I need to read what I type before I press send...

    Most agents would be set up with HMRC anyway, all the commercial software will need is the agent's log in details and the client's UTR...
  • MonsoonMonsoon Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 4,071FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant

    Most agents would be set up with HMRC anyway, all the commercial software will need is the agent's log in details and the client's UTR...
    Yep, exactly :)

    However, I did have someoen on the HMRC agent line tell me that even with a UTR it would be too late if the client hadn't registered for online filing themselves. "But I have an agent log in." Oh, really? "Yes, how do you think I've been filing tax returns for the past 6 years?" Oh ,you might be ok then .......

    !!!!
  • clegganatorclegganator Well-Known Posts: 184Registered
    Monsoon wrote: »
    might be ok then .......
    !!!!

    Their advice comes with such assurance!
  • PGMPGM Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 1,954Registered
    As per my opening post; its now filed thanks to Monsoon!
  • MonsoonMonsoon Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 4,071FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant
    PGM wrote: »
    As per my opening post; its now filed thanks to Monsoon!

    Always happy to help a fellow AAT'er :)
Sign In or Register to comment.