Bit late to register for online return?

PGM
PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
An "associate" of mine asked for advice on filing their online TR. However they hadn't even requested the activation code to use the online return.

They applied for the activation code yesterday, is there anyway to speed things up to avoid the fine?

Comments

• Jmann
    Jmann Registered Posts: 68 Regular contributor ⭐
    HMRC says, they take about 7 days, but sometimes they do take about 2 working days, and your associate might be lucky.

You have until midnight of 2nd of Feb, or agent can file it using commercial software.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Jmann wrote: »
    or agent can file it using commercial software.

To be on the safe side, this.
  • PGM
    Monsoon wrote: »
    To be on the safe side, this.

Can they do this without waiting for the activation code for online TR?
  • clegganator
    clegganator Registered Posts: 184 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    PGM wrote: »
    Can they do this without waiting for the activation code for online TR?

All the agent needs is the UTR, doesn't need the activation code.
  • PGM
    Thank you. I'll let them know this is the best option to avoid a fine. Assuming they can find one that still wants last minute messes to sort out!
  • Jmann
    Jmann Registered Posts: 68 Regular contributor ⭐
    Thank you. I'll let them know this is the best option to avoid a fine. Assuming they can find one that still wants last minute messes to sort out!

As an agent you can file the tax return even without submitting the 64-8 online using the commercial software. But AFAIK the agent have to register him/herself for online filing! If the associate is not registered online, I am afraid I am pretty sure that the agent can not tax return online. If you get stuck pm me and I know someone who can file the tax return for you.
    John
  • Monsoon
    If you've got all the information prepared and it's just a case of data entry, I'll do it for £50+VAT on Wednesday.

However, if it's actually a mess..... :lol:
  • PGM
    If you've got all the information prepared and it's just a case of data entry, I'll do it for £50+VAT on Wednesday.

However, if it's actually a mess..... :lol:

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. I've kind of put it back into their court for now, I'll see what happens.
  • clegganator
    Jmann wrote: »
    As an agent you can file the tax return even without submitting the 64-8 online using the commercial software. But AFAIK the agent have to register him/herself for online filing! If the associate is not registered online, I am afraid I am pretty sure that the agent can not tax return online. If you get stuck pm me and I know someone who can file the tax return for you.
    John

If using commercial software you can.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    ^ I think you need to re-read the first line of Jmann's post..
  • clegganator
    ^ I think you need to re-read the first line of Jmann's post..

I think I need to read what I type before I press send...

Most agents would be set up with HMRC anyway, all the commercial software will need is the agent's log in details and the client's UTR...
  • Monsoon

Most agents would be set up with HMRC anyway, all the commercial software will need is the agent's log in details and the client's UTR...
    Yep, exactly :)

However, I did have someoen on the HMRC agent line tell me that even with a UTR it would be too late if the client hadn't registered for online filing themselves. "But I have an agent log in." Oh, really? "Yes, how do you think I've been filing tax returns for the past 6 years?" Oh ,you might be ok then .......

!!!!
  • clegganator
    might be ok then .......
    !!!!

Their advice comes with such assurance!
  • PGM
    As per my opening post; its now filed thanks to Monsoon!
  • Monsoon
    As per my opening post; its now filed thanks to Monsoon!

Always happy to help a fellow AAT'er :)
Privacy Policy