Buy to Let Mortgage

Options
Diddy Mau
Diddy Mau Registered Posts: 238 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Hello,
I do appologise for posting on here, only being a student member, but I thought this would be the best place.

if a person re-mortgages their property to purchase a secondary property for the buy yo let purpose.
Can the Interest off the remortgage be used as an expense in the SA tax return?
I know the original cost of the property and any expenses when purchasing this will be used when selling the property, for the purpose of Capital Gains Tax.
I am also aware that any agency fee's can be reduced, and when replaceing objects like for like. any extensions or improvements are for Capital Gains.
But I cant seem to find anything where the capital is raised through other means, like re-mortgage.

if anyone can help, then thank you very much.

Comments

• Jmann
    Jmann Registered Posts: 68 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Diddy Mau wrote: »

if a person re-mortgages their property to purchase a secondary property for the buy yo let purpose.
    Can the Interest off the remortgage be used as an expense in the SA tax return?

Yes. But have you informed the lender the purpose of extra borrowing?
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Agreed, but the purpose of the extra lending makes no difference for tax relief. It does not even matter which property the loan is secured on.
  • Diddy Mau
    Diddy Mau Registered Posts: 238 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    jmann & deansshepherd. thank you for the quick reply.
    I originally was not sure, since the repayments would be against another property.
    I agree you would have to tell thje lender the reason for the remortgage as this will affect the rate. again though, this option would be cheaper.
    again many thanks, :-)
  • Jmann
    Jmann Registered Posts: 68 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Agreed, but the purpose of the extra lending makes no difference for tax relief. It does not even matter which property the loan is secured on.

Agreed.

My comment regarding informing the lender was in relation to the mortgage terms and conditions. Some lenders can be funny!
  • danielo24
    danielo24 Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Thanks for the replies too, I was also wondering about the same query.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    danielo24 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies too, I was also wondering about the same query.
    No you weren't ;)
Privacy Policy