Practice CBA's for Personal Tax - Useless!!

Luby
Luby Registered Posts: 51 Regular contributor ⭐
So is it just me who finds the practice CBA's for personal tax kind of pointless. I did the first one for 2010 which is fine since all the information and questions relate to the tax year 10/11 which I will be assessed on however when i tried the practice cba for 2009 all the information is relating to 09/10 tax year. I understand the practices will be fine to see if I understand where the figures should be coming from but I decided not to do the test one because I didn't want to confuse myself. I mean I've spent ages trying to commit all the little niggly facts and figures etc to memory the last thing I need is to do a practice CBA with different figures confusing me. Is it just me whinging about nothing or do others feel the AAT could of least altered the practice CBA's to use relevant figures students will be getting examed on. Anybody know where there are any further practice assessments / questions as my exam is in a weeks time and as they say practice makes perfection.

Many thanks

Comments

• Diddy Mau
    Diddy Mau Registered Posts: 238 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi Luby,
    I would just practice the 2010 exam. ignore the previous.
    have you tried the AAT's Green light, some good things there to test your knowledge.
    I'm just waiting for my results
  • stephleedz
    stephleedz Registered Posts: 179 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Diddy Mau,

As you have sat the PTX exam can I ask was the exam anything like the practice CBAs?

Thanks

Steph
  • guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Luby,
    I share your frustration, I'm expecting to sit the exam in mid March for the 2011/12 tax year, and the HMRC don't even publish the return forms for that year until April! I am concerned about practising for the wrong year, and getting confused, I don't expect that there are any practice CBA's for 2011/12 yet at all.
    Good luck,
    GP
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    I think AAT really need to clarify what tax year is being tested up until what date - I am studing from 10/11 and that is supposedly assessed until May this year ( not sure how when 11/12 is assessed from March....)
  • stephleedz
    stephleedz Registered Posts: 179 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi, I received the following email from my learning provider Kaplan regarding sitting Tax exams you may find this helpful?:

The upcoming Business Tax course running from January to March will cover Finance Act 2010. With all modules we recommend that you attempt the exam as soon as possible after the lessons have ended so that the subject is still fresh in your mind.
    The AAT is only offering the option of sitting the Business Tax Computer Based Test until the end of May under Finance Act 2010 and so you must pass your exam before this otherwise you will have to sit the exam under Finance Act 2011 which will require an element of extra personal study as many rates are different
  • nonmugglesue
    nonmugglesue Registered Posts: 39 Regular contributor ⭐
    I agree they were useless, there was one online that was exactly the same as the book
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    I agree they were useless, there was one online that was exactly the same as the book

That is because publishers rather cheekily copy the AAT material that is available for free and then charge for you to buy it in a book ! That has always grated me a bit- but it is the publishers who are at fault here for not producing original material....
  • clegganator
    clegganator Registered Posts: 184 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    guinea pig wrote: »
    Hi Luby,
    I share your frustration, I'm expecting to sit the exam in mid March for the 2011/12 tax year, and the HMRC don't even publish the return forms for that year until April!

The returns wont be massively different. The finance act has been published and you can get your books and studying at least!
    uknitty wrote: »
    I think AAT really need to clarify what tax year is being tested up until what date - I am studing from 10/11 and that is supposedly assessed until May this year ( not sure how when 11/12 is assessed from March....)

A few months overlap/grace for those who failed the exam in January, wait six weeks for there marks and want to retake, but not learn a new finance act.
  • Joe Barraclough
    Joe Barraclough Registered Posts: 69 Epic contributor 🐘
  • guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Thanks, Joe,
    I am usually find the Osborne quizzes useful revision, but this one is for 2010/11.
    AAT Greenlight is for 2010/11
    AAT practice CBA's are; 2 x 2009/10, 1 x 2010/11
    It looks as though we are ahead of our time, sitting the 2011/12 exam next month, when all we have is the Osborne tutorial & workbook to use. I always use the practice CBA's to get a good idea of the exam format, questions etc, but its going to be very confusing trying one based on the wrong rates!
    Anyone else studying for the 2011/12 exam?
    GP
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hello GP

I'm starting PTX and BTX 2011/12 in April and May respecitvely and hope to sit exams at end of April and June. Hopefully there will be updates to the practice assessments, greenlight etc. by then.

Good luck with it.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
Privacy Policy