Software Advice

Options
kateyliz
kateyliz Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
Hi

I am looking to setting up as Self Employed - I have been MAAT for 3 years, and am 2 exams away from completing ACCA.

I've worked for a company doing their accounts for 10 years (book keeping through to TB plus various management accounts) using Quickbooks and Sage, but know these aren't really suitable for multiple companies, due to the cost factor.

So my question is really for SE accountants - what software packages do you recommend?

I haven't got any clients yet, but imagine to start off with they will be smaller sole traders, with a view to build up to a range of small to larger companies.

Do you use different packages for day-to-day book keeping and for producing year end accounts?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I have my ICB Practice licence, although not managed to get any clients yet, however I was advised to get VT Transaction+. I am currently practising on the 60 day free trial and it seems to do the job for the bookkeeping through to trial balance etc.

It is approximately £100 and can cope with multi company. There is then an accounts preparation software by VT that you can import the figures into for the final accounts. (Someone else on the forum can probably tell you more about that side)

kateyliz wrote: »
    Hi

I am looking to setting up as Self Employed - I have been MAAT for 3 years, and am 2 exams away from completing ACCA.

I've worked for a company doing their accounts for 10 years (book keeping through to TB plus various management accounts) using Quickbooks and Sage, but know these aren't really suitable for multiple companies, due to the cost factor.

So my question is really for SE accountants - what software packages do you recommend?

I haven't got any clients yet, but imagine to start off with they will be smaller sole traders, with a view to build up to a range of small to larger companies.

Do you use different packages for day-to-day book keeping and for producing year end accounts?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
  • Dcollins
    Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    VT Final accounts is the accounts prep software, you can get a 60 day free trial here: http://www.vtsoftware.co.uk/index.html I love the way they don't waste money on a flashy website.

You can use it for an unlimited no. of companies, sole traders, Ltd companies and partnerships. You need to have excel to use it, but I think they're looking at making it stand-alone software.

It's £199 + VAT, but VT Transaction+ is included, so you may as well use it for bookkeeping too. The export function is good, but you can enter a trial balance from scratch then do an extended TB if you want to.

It's quick to learn, quick to use and good value for money.

For SE tax returns I just use HMRC's online system, because it's free and I'm stingy.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I also use VT Final Accounts so tend to use Transaction+ for bookkeeping but I actually prefer Solar for bookkeeping.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Gem7321 wrote: »
    I also use VT Final Accounts so tend to use Transaction+ for bookkeeping but I actually prefer Solar for bookkeeping.

We are slowly migrating over from Solar to VT T+. It really is much quicker. Solar has a nice feel to it, but has a number of shortcomings.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I find T+ a bit clunky iyswim. But I haven't used Solar for a while so probably need to remind myself!
  • kateyliz
    kateyliz Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice :001_smile:
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I use VT Transaction + and Final Accounts. It's great and does multi-company for a really good price.

Another advantage is that if you have clients who are starting up and want to do their own book-keeping they can download VT Cashbook for FREE and you can use their files in Transaction +. I think it's great that you can get FREE software especially when you have a new client who is just setting up. Files are emailable too.
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • ferry
    ferry Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    We are delighted to unveil our exhilarating journey with Runeleven.com, an experience that has surpassed all expectations. This platform impeccably harmonizes thoroughness with affordability, catering flawlessly to businesses of any magnitude sans hidden expenses. Its groundbreaking automated bookkeeping feature redefines intricate accounting procedures, effortlessly converting invoices and streamlining reconciliation processes.

Eleven presents an effortless multi-company accounting functionality, allowing seamless navigation across diverse client accounts minus the inconvenience of frequent logins. Powered by AI, Eleven elevates efficiency by extracting data, automating tasks, and amplifying productivity to unprecedented levels.

Highlighted features include:

A General Ledger that effortlessly scales
    Streamlined processes for Accounts Receivable & Accounts Payable
    Effortless Automated Bookkeeping
    Seamless Multi-company Accounting capabilities
    Support for Multi-Currency Accounting requirements
    A proficient Document Management system
    Customized Reporting & Business Intelligence tools
    Access to Standardized Reports
    A Universal Tax Engine for peace of mind
    State-of-the-art AI Accounting functionalities

Before adopting Eleven, our manual data entry and review procedures were laborious and time-intensive. However, with this software, we've reclaimed countless hours, slashing invoice processing time from over 5 minutes to under 1 minute per invoice. We've attained remarkable accuracy rates across all domains and observed a substantial surge in no-touch invoices per month.

Additionally, its exemplary customer service team has been instrumental in facilitating a seamless transition and providing ongoing support.

To unlock the full potential of Runeleven, simply schedule a demo by contacting sales@runeleven.com or visiting www.runeleven.com. We're confident that you'll be as enthralled with its capabilities as we are.
Privacy Policy