Another agency out of touch

Options
Glynis
Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
I am astonished that so many agencies are so uncooperative when it comes to jobs. I wanted to apply for a roll in an accounting practice which I saw on the web and the advert said to email your CV to this so called agency which I did. Having not heard anything I rang them and they said that I "was not suitably qualified." They said they required "an accountant". Having explained that I have AAT qualification and therefore am an accountant, the girl just said that the vacancy is not appropriate to an AAT qualified. Surely this is discrimination. So are we accountants or are we not? It's simply unbelievable :(

Comments

• Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Glynis wrote: Β»
    So are we accountants or are we not?

Accountant isn't a protected term, so you don't need a qualification to call yourself one. Likewise, just because you have a qualification doesn't automatically make you an accountant. It's all down to experience. Technically we are accounting technicians, but some of us may feel we can call ourselves accountants by virute of our experience and the current job we do.

Remember, as has been said on here many times, that agency work for the client not the job seeker. If their client's definition of accountant is someone with lots of experience, then unfortunately the AAT qualification alone won't be enough for them. It's tough at the moment with so many job seekers, I've read on here that even ACCA qualifieds are now having to apply for jobs we would apply for, so the competition is much greater now.

Don't give up, just perhaps be a little more realistic, and maybe consider other types of vacancies. Even if they are lower, or require little or fewer qualifications, if you got one of those you would be building up experience.
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    They said they required "an accountant". Having explained that I have AAT qualification and therefore am an accountant, the girl just said that the vacancy is not appropriate to an AAT qualified. Surely this is discrimination.

Discrimination?!?! I think that's jumping on the PC band-wagon!

If the agency (or rather the employer) feels that an accounant is someone with ACA/ACCA etc then so be it, and just because the job spec says "accountant" doesn't mean that everyone who is an "accountant" should expect to be automatically considered for the job. On a similar theme, I doubt the practice would consider a CIMA or CIPFA qualified, even though they are accountants.

Neil
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Rozzi put it very well.

An accountant is someone with the experience to be an accountant. A qualification does not make you an accountant, and as I understand it Glynis you don't have accountancy experience, or at least not much. Accounting functions, sure, but not accountancy.

I hardly think discrimination is the word you are looking for.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    For once, I know how you feel Glynis.

When I read in The Sun that Arsenal were looking for a new striker this summer, I excitedly rushed off my CV. After impatiently waiting 24 agonising hours only to receive no response, I decided to phone Mr Wenger directly and vent my rage. Imagine my horror to be told that having played my last competitive match in 1994 and nowadays being confined to booting a ball round the local 'rec with my kids, I could no longer be considered a serious prospective employee. I think it's shocking that 44 year old, slightly overweight and totally unfit fag smokers are discriminated against in the Premiership. It's like living in Russia.

It's just so unfair...
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Glynis it's you who is out of touch if you think that the AAT automatically makes you an appropriate candidate for a practice role which doesn't have the word 'junior' or 'assistant' or 'trainee' in the title.
  • Glynis
    Options
    Blobby you may mock but I hope one day you don't end up going through what I'm going through -shattered hopes thanks to ACCA and their ridiculous marking, uncertain future and struggling to make a carreer for yourself. You carry on laughing because one day it will happen to you.

Gem7321 I am trying to make a carreer for myself not run before I can walk :(
  • Richard
    Richard Registered Posts: 373 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    thanks to ACCA and their ridiculous marking,

You can't blame ACCA's "ridiculous marking" on your recent failures. If your script was worthy of a pass it would have received one.
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    The ACCA are not responsible for any "shattered hopes". You sat the exam. You failed. End of.

I don't hear you complaining that their marking must have been "wrong" when you pass a paper.

if you took a bit more responsibility for failing and had a good look at where/how/why it is you are not meeting the standards on then you would probably be able to move forward and work on the areas that are holding you back.

ETA: "Failure" is not bad thing either. It is an opportunity to look at what you could have done in a different way and to learn from the experience. I totally messed up managing my time on my FNPF exam. In a way I am glad that I made that mistake now - relatively early on in my studies, so that I can learn from it and hopefully manage my time better in professional exams.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Glynis I admire you for your persistance and resilience but by applying for roles above your capabilities is precisely trying to run before you can walk and you will always end up disappointed. You need to be realistic and although I'm sure you were good at your previous job a role in practice will be an entirely new environment for you and requries a new set of skills in addition to the ones you already have.

You need to be applying for 'trainee accountant' or similar roles. Unfortunately the salary is likely to be pretty low but may come with a study package. I also think you should work on your interview technique as it seems from your previous posts that you often fail at this stage.
  • Glynis
    Options
    The point I am making is that ACCA know how long I have been doing F8 and should consider the fact that I don't work in audit nor can afford tuition support and I don't feel they do which is why the marking needs to change because I know someone else who is sitting F6 for the 7th time so clearly the marking is too strict. There has to be a problem of there are 2 of us who can't pass 1 paper.

Gem I look for practise rolls but they just say semi senior or senior. I feel that as I've worked in an accounting roll for approximately 35 years that I need something suited to my age and experiance.
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    ." They said they required "an accountant". Having explained that I have AAT qualification and therefore am an accountant, the girl just said that the vacancy is not appropriate to an AAT qualified. Surely this is discrimination. So are we accountants or are we not? It's simply unbelievable :(

Hi Glynis

Can I ask what makes you think you are an accountant just because you passed AAT. I am studying AAT at the moment but under no illussion that when I finish I am still going to have to try and gain experience to even get close to being able to call myself an accountant. I have worked in finance jobs for 22 yrs but they have always been things like Credit Control or like for the last 10 years Payables. I know it will mean starting at the bottom to go into practice.

Maybe it is worth relooking at the type of job you can do.

Good Luck!

Jan
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    So - is your position that they should make the pass rate lower for you because you can't meet the required standard ?
  • Richard
    Richard Registered Posts: 373 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    The point I am making is that ACCA know how long I have been doing F8 and should consider the fact that I don't work in audit nor can afford tuition support and I don't feel they do which is why the marking needs to change because I know someone else who is sitting F6 for the 7th time so clearly the marking is too strict. There has to be a problem of there are 2 of us who can't pass 1 paper.

Gem I look for practise rolls but they just say semi senior or senior. I feel that as I've worked in an accounting roll for approximately 35 years that I need something suited to my age and experiance.

Glynis there are papers that are part of the syllabus where people will not have had any experience in prior to studying for the exam. For example, I don't work in audit but was able to pass F8, I also don't work for a law firm but was able to pass F4 Law exam, etc etc.

Just one piece of constructive criticism that I've noticed - you have spelt career (carreer), practice (practise) and role (roll) incorrectly on a number of posts - if you have made the same errors on your CV it won't look good.
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Monsoon wrote: Β»
    Rozzi put it very well.

Thank you Monsoon, that's good to see. What I said has come from reading many other posts on the subject over the times, so credit to all previous posters who have also said simliar things.
    The point I am making is that ACCA know how long I have been doing F8 and should consider the fact that I don't work in audit nor can afford tuition support

So what are you saying, that people should automatically pass a paper after so many times sitting it regardless of whether they meet the required standard or not?? I don't work in audit, and didn't have tuition for F8 but passed, so it is possible. Do you expect ACCA to set higher pass marks for people who go to tuition? That would just be discrimination against them! It has to be a level playing field for everyone, and those who meet the required standard pass and those who don't, fail. Otherwise it would completely devalue the qualification.

Glynis, if I were you I'd try a different paper rather than continuing with F8. As I don't have audit experience, I started with modules I do have experience in to gain some confidence. Also, why are you so keen to work in practice at all costs? I understand this may be your dream, but as it is proving difficult, why don't you consider working in industry, especially if that's where all your previous experience is.
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    (God) grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    the courage to change the things I can;
    and the wisdom to know the difference.

I'm not sure if to admire your courage or shake my head at your lack of wisdom. You're not going to take any advise from here or your family so carry on Glynis. One day you will look back and wonder if it was all worth it.

Jan

PS He doesn't need me to defend him, but Rob has come though his own dark times.
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options

Gem I look for practise rolls but they just say semi senior or senior. I feel that as I've worked in an accounting roll for approximately 35 years that I need something suited to my age and experience.

Why should the ACCA give special consideration to you? The marking is based on the requirements of the syllabus and qualification and not on the individual circumstances of students - the fact that you don't work in audit and are self studying is irrelevant! The marking is strict because it has to be, but it is not too strict, again it's based around the requirements of the syllabus and qualification.

You're right, you do require a role that is suited to your experience but if you don’t have experience of working in a practice and you are applying for roles that require such experience then you are applying for the wrong jobs. If you can't appreciate that working in practice and working in industry is very different then you aren't going to be able to make constructive efforts towards getting a role in practice.

There's a problem here Glynis in that people are telling you the right thing in good faith but you instantly dismiss it because it isn't what you want to hear or doesn't bow down to your demands and expectations.

Neil
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    QUOTE Glynis Post 13/10/09
    Failed again
    I have received my audit sim back again as uncompetent and I am absolutely furious.
    I have had a major discussion with my tutor who has said that she cannot deem me competent because my answers aren't demonstrating audit knowledge to the questions. What on earth is this suppose to mean
    Just exactly what do you have to do to pass this ridiculously impossible sim. My tutor was very vague tonight and I don't think she knows what she is doing as she is new.

Many past posts to pick from - just selected the first one the search found. AAT Audit was challenging for you (tutor's fault). ACCA F8 is challenging for you (ACCA markers fault), finding an Audit job is challenging for you (job agencies fault). When are you going to wake up and see that you blame everyone else for your own failings? Focus your energy on studying instead of moaning.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    They said they required "an accountant".

So are we accountants or are we not?

Accountant is such a far reaching term that its use dosn't help.

Its like saying I need an engineer, but one that can weld supports for a gear box probably isn't the same engineer needed to construct a large building!

We've been employing a lot of qualified/experienced people for less money than we have in the past, its a very tough job market out there.

The point I am making is that ACCA know how long I have been doing F8 and should consider the fact that I don't work in audit nor can afford tuition support and.

The point is; ACCA don't care. Or I'm sure they'd put it in nicer terms: "Sorry you've not met our required levels of competance"

The majority of students don't complete ACCA, they're well aware of their pass rates.
    We support our 147,000 members and 424,000 students throughout their careers

Thats from the ACCA website. When you consider theres nearly 3 times as many students as members!
Privacy Policy