Asset capitalisation level for larger company

Options
Monsoon
Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Normally, if an asset is more than £3-500, depending on the size of the business, I capitalise it, as opposed to putting it through as a revenue expense. I might push this up to £1000 if the company turns over £500k or so.

If a company turns over £2million - what is a decent capitalisation level?

Comments

• PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    We turnover about £4m, and capitalise at £2k.

It works well, but if we buy a bunch of items like PC's, we'll add up the cost and capitalise the job lot.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    We got a bigger turnover (apparently our company considers that confidential so not mentioned here), but still capitalise at £ 500.

I know it sounds silly, but it also depends on what it is. If a lot of it is bought together it is more likely to be capitalised, even if it is for a lot less (opening of a new location etc).

If it's a single item, it still will be capitalised for £ 500 or more.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Thanks, that's really helpful :)
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Rinske wrote: »
    We got a bigger turnover (apparently our company considers that confidential so not mentioned here), but still capitalise at £ 500.

Won't that information be freely available in your statutory accounts anyway? Not that I want it :D
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I used to work for a large construction company, (no longer trading) , turnover was really high and the rule of thumb was capitalise at £1,000 unless it was an item which was easy to move and nick from site. The last proviso was due to the amount of items which would vanish off site even with security in place. Therefore items such as those, i.e. transformers, whackers, mixers were treated as tools even if over £1,000.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Yep it is, if you do a google search on the company and turnover you'd find it as well, but... :)
Privacy Policy