Job Interview

Options
Rachey
Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Hey guys, long time no speak! I have a job interview on Tuesday and i'm pretty scared! Because I've been in my current job for 5 years i've forgotten what to say! The main thing I need help with is salary expectations, it says negotiable but how do I go about getting the highest possible without blowing it? There must be a special talent for this!

Comments

• uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    When it comes to salary expectations in an actual first face to face interview I tend to deflect deflect deflect !

I tend to answer questions about salary by saying that my primary motivation is joining a team that I can really contribute my skills to the team/business/organisation with opportunity for (progression/project work/whatever it is that makes the job attractive) and try and bring the conversation around to other motivations for taking the position aside from salary.

If pushed I would say that I'd like to have chance to reflect on the position having learned more about it the requirement of the role at the interview today and perhaps it was something we could discuss at a second interview if they felt I was a good fit for the company.

ETA - depending on the "feel" you get from the interviewer, you could possibly even ask what the salary for the role is. They will have a budget in mind. I think I would go along the lines of "the role was advertised with a negotiable salary - does this mean you able to be completely flexible for the right candidate or is there a fixed payscale attached to this role ?
  • Rachey
    Options
    I couldn't have asked for a better response. I've searched the salary ranges for this particular company so I have an idea what I should be looking at, but there's nothing wrong with aiming at the higher end! I will avoid the subject until the end though and do as you suggested, I have plenty to say anyway. Can I please ask if anyone here has experience in Oracle? I have never used it but I am currently researching for some limited knowledge. They are aware I haven't used it before they invited me for an interview but if I can show them I have researched and can deliver then it will look pretty good! X
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Hello Rachel

I have used Oracle in the past, both Financial and HR modules. I still use it occasionally for enquries and expenses.

JC :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Hi Rachel

I work in the NHS and we use Oracle all the time, it's quite user friendly and based on windows. I actually find it better than Sage but that's my opinion.

Good luck with the interview

Jan
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Rachey wrote: ยป
    Hey guys, long time no speak! I have a job interview on Tuesday and i'm pretty scared! Because I've been in my current job for 5 years i've forgotten what to say! The main thing I need help with is salary expectations, it says negotiable but how do I go about getting the highest possible without blowing it? There must be a special talent for this!

I wouldn't mention salary in a first interview unless it comes up. It's usually something thats negotiated/offered once a job offer is made.

Most jobs will say 15-20k for example, at the interview you might get a feel for where you'd be within the bracket, ie at the top end with high relevant experience / skills / qualifications, so you'd use that as your start point for negotiating - assuming you're not happy with what they offer.

Good luck :)
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Agree with PGM.

I didn't discuss salary at all at my last successful interview. Salary is a subject to be discussed with terms and conditions if you are successful and I think it's entirely reasonable to request a review at 3 or 6 months post appointment, once you've had an opportunity to prove your worth and then go for a second sensible review after you have completed your first year.

During my first year I had two pay rises equivalent to a total 33% pay rise, I had worked hard, saved the business lots of money and brought nearly all the year end accounts work in house!

You go girl :thumbup:
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Abel
    Abel Registered Posts: 46 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Hello all. Sorry to interfere like this but, sometimes not talking about pay at an interview can be a bad experience. I am giving myself as an example. I am currently doing an apprenticeship and to get in here i had to attend an interview. Since it was my first interview ever I was not really sure what to say and the *salary* topic was left off. Now they have hired me and have found out that I am getting paid an amount less than half of what i was expecting. However, soon i will finish my LVL 2 and hoping to progress in the career. But for you, If it is a long time job, I would really suggest you at least get an average of what you might get paid. Because if you do not you might find yourself within a job doing not so great because of lack of motivation. Because at the end of the day, everything we do is for money, wheter we like it or not, we need it.
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    No-one is suggesting that you should not discuss salary before accepting a job - just not at the first interview. The idea is you go to the interview, find out the work that will be expected of you and then state your salary expectations based on what the interviewer has indicated the role will involve.

You should negotiate salary at a second interview or if a verbal offer of employment is made. You are also more likely to get what you want at this point as providing you are not being greedy or unreasonable with your expectations the employer will already have mentally prepared for you to accept their offer.
  • anniem
    Options
    If you aren't going to be offered the job there is no point discussing salary anyway.

You need to want the job and they need to want you for it to be relevant; once you've got over that hurdle you can start talking about salary.

If they can't come up to the salary you are wanting/expecting or negotiate with you on that point then ultimately they don't want you enough!

Also, if they aren't paying or prepared to pay what you think you are worth do you really want to work for them anyway?
  • Rachey
    Options
    So.... I made a terrible decision to speak to my current employer about the problems instead of going to my interview. The reason I feel it was a terrible decision is because I believe I just got fobbed off and now they're wary of me and I no longer have this job lined up. Back to square one! A lesson learned I think :001_unsure:
  • anniem
    Options
    Oh Rachey, don't be downhearted.

Give them time to think about what you've said and go back to them and discuss it again when they have had time to mull everything over.

Carry on doing your job to the best of your ability. Smile, laugh and joke the same as normal and just keep being polite and making the tea. Don't be anxious when your employer is about, just be totally unfazed (spelling?) by what you've said. You are entitled to do what you have done and it should be respected, not frowned upon.

Leave it for a few days or a week and give them time for what you've said to sink in. Go back and discuss the issues again and see if THEY can come back with some ideas; quite often the small seeds you have sown will come back as THEIR ideas and will then be acceptable. It doesn't matter if suggestions came from you in the first place, quite often people don't want to be told what to do but it is OK if over the next week or two the 'idea' you might have sown becomes their idea and they end up selling it back to you. I have been in a situation like this with an employer and as long as the result worked out it honestly didn't matter how we got there.

Don't give up, you have been very brave to tackle the situation as you have. I get the impression that you don't want to give up what you've got, but would like to see some changes and they should respect you for speaking up and not just 'running away' to avoid the honest discussion.

Good luck and chin up Mrs.

Anna xx
  • Rachey
    Options
    Thanks Anna :001_smile:

Guess I'll just see how it goes!!

Thankyou everybody for your input, it's much appreciated.
Privacy Policy