ICAS Project - Competent areas in submission 1 come back NYC in draft 2!

Options
SarahJS
SarahJS Registered Posts: 273 Dedicated contributor 🦉
I'm VERY annoyed now.

Out of the 22 marking criteria, 6 of the areas have come back NYC in my second submission that were marked competent in the first submission! That's a quarter downgraded, when I was careful to not change anything relating to the competent areas!

Out of the 6 NYC areas in my first submission 5 (and a half - one is borderline) have come bck competent, so surely I would have passed if they had not made the changes. This is after a month waiting forit to be marked!

I'm not overreacting by wanting to make a formal complaint (to the provider and AAT) am I?

Sorry, I just feel I need this rant to people who might understand!

Comments

• liveprincess
    liveprincess Registered Posts: 214 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Who is your provider Sarah? I totally understand you're annoyed and I also would have expected to be competent.
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    SarahJS wrote: »
    I'm VERY annoyed now.

Out of the 22 marking criteria, 6 of the areas have come back NYC in my second submission that were marked competent in the first submission! That's a quarter downgraded, when I was careful to not change anything relating to the competent areas!

Out of the 6 NYC areas in my first submission 5 (and a half - one is borderline) have come bck competent, so surely I would have passed if they had not made the changes. This is after a month waiting forit to be marked!

I'm not overreacting by wanting to make a formal complaint (to the provider and AAT) am I?

Sorry, I just feel I need this rant to people who might understand!

Definitely contact your training providers in order to complain/figure out how to improve and then get straight back to ATT.
  • SarahJS
    Options
    I'm not shouting about which provider it is until they give me a response.

I'll check that absolutely nothing has changed between submissions they write some complaints.
  • Louise89
    Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I'm not shouting about which provider it is until they give me a response.

I'll check that absolutely nothing has changed between submissions they write some complaints.

ICAS is so tedious and frustrating, I would just try and finish it before you think of making a complaint. I would also talk to your assessor, there may be a valid reason why they have done this.
  • SarahJS
    Options
    Louise89 wrote: »
    ICAS is so tedious and frustrating, I would just try and finish it before you think of making a complaint. I would also talk to your assessor, there may be a valid reason why they have done this.

I've already resubmitted it, but have also complained to the provider about the huge waste of time the first marking, then the huge wait for the next marking. I have asked that my new submission is marked ASAP and will see how it goes from there, and also an explanation of the reasoning behind the substantial changes in the marking.

The only valid reason I can see for changing the marking would be that the first submission was marked entirely wrong, which I would say is unacceptable!

Edit: I know complaining about this actually makes me look like a brat - I do not disagree that my project is not perfect, I am disgruntled that I was denied he opportunity to improve areas between the first and second submission, when the marking isn't exactly quick...
  • Louise89
    Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I've already resubmitted it, but have also complained to the provider about the huge waste of time the first marking, then the huge wait for the next marking. I have asked that my new submission is marked ASAP and will see how it goes from there, and also an explanation of the reasoning behind the substantial changes in the marking.

The only valid reason I can see for changing the marking would be that the first submission was marked entirely wrong, which I would say is unacceptable!

Edit: I know complaining about this actually makes me look like a brat - I do not disagree that my project is not perfect, I am disgruntled that I was denied he opportunity to improve areas between the first and second submission, when the marking isn't exactly quick...

Complaining does not make you look like a brat! You have every reason to complain, especially in your case. I would speak to/or email your assessor very calmly about how you feel, since only they know why they have changed your competent areas to NYC.

I do know how you feel though, I have had a mini battle with ICAS myself, but luckily my tuition provider Kaplan and a couple key tutors in particular have been very supportive. To be honest, they have been absolutely fabulous all the way through my AAT studies and I can't praise them enough.

Don't let it get you down, and bear in mind that the softer your approach the more they will be willing to help you.
  • SarahJS
    Options
    Louise89 wrote: »
    Complaining does not make you look like a brat! You have every reason to complain, especially in your case. I would speak to/or email your assessor very calmly about how you feel, since only they know why they have changed your competent areas to NYC.

I do know how you feel though, I have had a mini battle with ICAS myself, but luckily my tuition provider Kaplan and a couple key tutors in particular have been very supportive. To be honest, they have been absolutely fabulous all the way through my AAT studies and I can't praise them enough.

Don't let it get you down, and bear in mind that the softer your approach the more they will be willing to help you.

My approach must have worked, the submission I made on Saturday was marked competent by lunch time! The reasoning behind the changes was the first assessor marked it wrong.... I'm not hugely pleased with quite HOW wrong it was, but at least it has been sorted quickly with an apology.

I got my FNST result today too, so a good day overall :)
Privacy Policy