Fuel expense on property income seems ott- thoughts?

imeldabyeimeldabye Well-KnownRegistered Posts: 147
Hi all- client in London rents out 2 properties on the South Coast- during 2011/12 some damp/rot appeared in one of the flats and they had to traipse up and down trying to fix it. As well as the repairs and maintenance (ie wickes/b&q etc) I would have ordinarily included her mileage. However the calc comes out as £810 which seems quite a lot (128 miles there and back- 15 trips x 45p a mile). Am I being over cautious? all the trips were wholly and exclusively.

Comments

• groundygroundy Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 495
    I would have no problem claiming the mileage on that example
  • imeldabyeimeldabye Well-Known Registered Posts: 147
    ok thanks for that. Another conundrum- whilst it was being fixed it was unlet- does that make the expenses unallowable- strictly speaking- it was unavailable for letting as noone could move in with the floor boards up? again- am i being a bit literal here?
  • MonsoonMonsoon Font Of All Knowledge FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 4,069
    If it was previously a let property then they are allowable even though it was not in a lettable state while repairs ongoing.

If bought in an unlettable state then often the expenses would not be allowable.

Mileage is fine.
  • readerreader Experienced Mentor MAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,038
    Monsoon wrote: »

If bought in an unlettable state then often the expenses would not be allowable.

Yeah, not allowable for income tax purposes but would be allowable for cgt purposes should they sell the flats.
  • imeldabyeimeldabye Well-Known Registered Posts: 147
    yep, all clear thanks both :)