Fuel expense on property income seems ott- thoughts?

imeldabye
imeldabye Registered Posts: 147 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi all- client in London rents out 2 properties on the South Coast- during 2011/12 some damp/rot appeared in one of the flats and they had to traipse up and down trying to fix it. As well as the repairs and maintenance (ie wickes/b&q etc) I would have ordinarily included her mileage. However the calc comes out as £810 which seems quite a lot (128 miles there and back- 15 trips x 45p a mile). Am I being over cautious? all the trips were wholly and exclusively.

Comments

• groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I would have no problem claiming the mileage on that example
  • imeldabye
    ok thanks for that. Another conundrum- whilst it was being fixed it was unlet- does that make the expenses unallowable- strictly speaking- it was unavailable for letting as noone could move in with the floor boards up? again- am i being a bit literal here?
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    If it was previously a let property then they are allowable even though it was not in a lettable state while repairs ongoing.

If bought in an unlettable state then often the expenses would not be allowable.

Mileage is fine.
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Monsoon wrote: »

If bought in an unlettable state then often the expenses would not be allowable.

Yeah, not allowable for income tax purposes but would be allowable for cgt purposes should they sell the flats.
  • imeldabye
    yep, all clear thanks both :)
Privacy Policy