Home For AAT student members General AAT student discussion
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Reference Request

MariaLMariaL New MemberRegistered Posts: 14
Are companies allowed to request references from your current employer without offering you an interview and not asking your permission?

Comments

• jenny3549jenny3549 Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 472
    As far as I am aware there is no legislation that says they can't. It would be fairly bad practice but not illegal.
  • SandyHoodSandyHood Font Of All Knowledge Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034
    Had you applied to work for this company?

Do you still want to work for them if they behave in this way?
    Sandy
    [email protected]
    www.sandyhood.com
  • coojeecoojee Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 794
    I've seen a comment on application forms before where they say that references may be contacted prior to interview so I guess this is their get out clause. If you see this comment then don't use your current employer as a referee unless they know you're leaving.
  • beckylnbeckyln Feels At Home Registered Posts: 52
    On an application, there should be by way of good practice an option for you to give permission for references to be contacted prior to interview. I have on my CV references available on request and I also put this on my applications. It's never stopped me before to my knowledge.
  • MariaLMariaL New Member Registered Posts: 14
    I had applied for quite a few vacancies supplying my CV. They had not mentioned anything about reference request in their job advertisements and I had always thought that references were usually after the interview stage.
    I hadn't actually provided any references Coogee, they just took the details from my work history on my CV.
    SandyHood no I wouldn't want to work for a business who work in this way as I think it is poor practice.