Reference Request

MariaL
MariaL Registered Posts: 14 Regular contributor ⭐
Are companies allowed to request references from your current employer without offering you an interview and not asking your permission?

Comments

• jenny3549
    jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    As far as I am aware there is no legislation that says they can't. It would be fairly bad practice but not illegal.
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Had you applied to work for this company?

Do you still want to work for them if they behave in this way?
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    I've seen a comment on application forms before where they say that references may be contacted prior to interview so I guess this is their get out clause. If you see this comment then don't use your current employer as a referee unless they know you're leaving.
  • beckyln
    beckyln Registered Posts: 52 Epic contributor 🐘
    On an application, there should be by way of good practice an option for you to give permission for references to be contacted prior to interview. I have on my CV references available on request and I also put this on my applications. It's never stopped me before to my knowledge.
  • MariaL
    MariaL Registered Posts: 14 Regular contributor ⭐
    I had applied for quite a few vacancies supplying my CV. They had not mentioned anything about reference request in their job advertisements and I had always thought that references were usually after the interview stage.
    I hadn't actually provided any references Coogee, they just took the details from my work history on my CV.
    SandyHood no I wouldn't want to work for a business who work in this way as I think it is poor practice.
Privacy Policy