PEAF and CMGT exam today :(

Options
Rachie278
Rachie278 Registered Posts: 55 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Passed CMGT exam today, failed PEAF :crying:

For anyone else due to sit CMGT, its nothing like the practice assessments.....it completely messed me up!! I finished with just 8 minutes to spare pretty sure I hadnt passed but actually exceeded 9 sections and met 3 sections so quite happy with that :001_smile: I would not want to be doing that exam again!!

Knew I would struggle with PEAF, did not meet 7 sections, met 11 sections. Find the whole thing truly awful, the wording of the questions seem so awkward, going to leave that one and go back to it I think!!

Cheering myself up with a Curly Wurly

Actually, a pack of 5 Curly Wurlys ;)

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Congratulations on CMGT and better luck with your PEAF resit! :o

Enjoy your Curly Wurlys x5 :001_tt2:
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • topcat
    topcat Registered Posts: 452
    Options
    Passed CMGT exam today, failed PEAF :crying:

For anyone else due to sit CMGT, its nothing like the practice assessments.....it completely messed me up!! I finished with just 8 minutes to spare pretty sure I hadnt passed but actually exceeded 9 sections and met 3 sections so quite happy with that :001_smile: I would not want to be doing that exam again!!

Knew I would struggle with PEAF, did not meet 7 sections, met 11 sections. Find the whole thing truly awful, the wording of the questions seem so awkward, going to leave that one and go back to it I think!!

Cheering myself up with a Curly Wurly

Actually, a pack of 5 Curly Wurlys ;)

Well done on CM :)

agreed ! it was a terrible exam had two questions which were 100% not covered in the Kaplan book i even checked after the exam. As you say very different to the practice exams.

But i did pass with a minute to spare !

thank you for all the help everyone has given me in preparation for this exam along the way
  • Cudey
    Cudey Registered Posts: 138 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Any heads up on what wasn't covered in the Kaplan book? I think I got my exam on Tuesday and feel very unprepared as it is!!
  • Clayy1990
    Clayy1990 Registered Posts: 35 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    What do you mean it completely messed you up?

The format or the difference in questions??

Cheers for the heads up :-)
  • liveprincess
    liveprincess Registered Posts: 214 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I finished this exam with no time left at all, five minutes to go I realised I made mistake and had to re-calculate the whole task. There is no word to describe the panic I was in ..
    I didn't think my book didn't cover all the questions (also Kaplan) but with the way the questions were worded and formulated it makes you dig really deep into everything you have learnt
    It's hard to describe really what was the difference, it's just the workings were like more complicated - something you haven't seen in practice tests an the website.. Good luck to all taking it soon
  • Rachie278
    Rachie278 Registered Posts: 55 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Thanks Jo!

Thanks Topcat! I had 8 minutes left when i finished the last question, my fingers had smoke coming out of them they were on the calculator so fast!

Cudey, I didnt notice anything that I hadnt seen in my textbook but I use BPP books so maybe it was covered in those?! :001_unsure:

Clayy1990.....it was nothing like the mocks in that the layout was COMPLETELY different, everything was laid out different, everything looked different, I even for a second thought I had been put in for the wrong exam!! The wording seemed different, this exam really is a test to how much you know, then back to front, and upside down! I remember reading something about cyclical (?!) variations or something, I had NO idea if I knew what that meant!! My one piece of advice, is if you initially read the question, and are unsure, flag it and move on then go back to it! This is the first exam I had to do that with, really panicking towards the end, i finished all the mocks within an hour!

Liveprincess, totally agree with the time thing and the difficulty in explaining without saying that it was all different! Even words, I cant remember what the questions was now but you cant imagine my relief when i finallllllyyyy guessed what the correlation was between the numbers and managed to fill all the boxes with minutes to spare! So glad I passed this, just not looking forward to PEAF re-sit now, that seemed stupidly hard too! oh well :crying:
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Hi

Just to let you know that tutors have been having a similar conversation about this (based on reports coming from students sitting the assessment).

We have had some feedback from the assessment team which clearly states that there are no 'hidden surprises' in the assessment, all areas of the standards can be assessed (this is key as you need to look at the standards and be able to confidently state that you can deal with/calculate everything covered). The team clearly state that they are trying to test knowledge and understanding NOT whether you can rote learn how to solve a scenario and this is why some questions are different format or worded differently. I have often wondered about the wording of tasks - but we, as tutors, never see the questions so can't comment any further but we can say that some basic things are needed - clear statements of what is required in a task give a better result. I have seen so many practice questions across the whole programme where you are asked to 'identify the incorrect answer' or 'state which is not...' - and these always puzzle me because what they're asking is for you to identify the wrong answer as the right answer - is this a test of knowledge or a test of understanding of English?

For this unit, I do feel that, generally from what my students have said, questions may be worded in strange ways but, when you ask a student to break it down (maybe by restating the question in a different way) into its component parts, the questions are actually fairly written and do cover the standards (and nothing else). Remember topics in (for example) task 1.2 will always be covered in task 1.2 BUT the way you may have to demonstrate competence is so different - think of driving, I could show you a No Entry sign and ask you what this means, or I could give you a groups of road signs and ask you which one is the No Entry sign, or I could take you out in a car to a junction where there is a No Entry sign and then observe what you do. What you need to show is that you know the sign means no entry BUT how you answer the question is very different - you can describe what it means, select the correct option or actually behave how you need to when confronted by the sign.

As for text-books, all I can say is that when I teach, I use BPP, OPsborne and Kaplan to ensure that I cover as many bases as possible. At then end of the day, if you can't happily say "yes" to the question, "Can I confidently answer a range of questions on...(an element of the standards)" should you actually be contemplating sitting the assessment or should you be thinking "maybe I need to review element 1.1" or "maybe I need to answer a few more questions" or even (and I know many students don't like this option) "maybe I should ask my tutor to clarify/explain...."

Anyway, I thought I would share some thoughts here.

Onwards and upwards!!!!
  • liveprincess
    liveprincess Registered Posts: 214 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I felt like my book covered everything perfectly (I ended up exceeding in every task so it must have covered everything) the strangest part about all this is that nobody can explain in what way it is different and nobody can even remember a question to give an example. you just need to go in to this exam and see it yourself
Privacy Policy