Costs and Revenues - just a moan! It's too hard :-(

Options
2»

Comments

• AATchick
    AATchick Registered Posts: 89 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi NPS, another well thought-out answer, I completely agree with you there! :-) in fact I read out your answer to my hubby and I was visiting our HR lady last night as she is mat leave at the moment and read it to her too - and they both said it summed up everything that needed to be said in a clear and concise way - so thank you.

My HR friend almost had a fit when I told her the situation - and to be honest I was relieved. I couldn't really tell what was the right way to react as the other 6-7 people in my department kind of had the attitude of "don't annoy the boss" so other than hubby and opinions on here I didn't really know if I was being over-dramatic or not if you see what I mean?

HR lady has advised that when it's next discussed with him to politely but firmly say that I'm not going to study on maternity leave out of choice. If boss doesn't accept that then I'll remind him of the rules relating to work. If he's still adamant it's "not work-related" then HR lady said she will happily send me something in writing to advise against it and that I need to appeal to his better nature by saying that the situation is getting me stressed (which it is!). If all else fails then I need to figure out something else. But she is definately in my corner which has made me feel better!

Unfortunately we don't have a HR dept - just an admin assistant who is on leave as I mentioned - and he is in fact in charge of the HR stuff and anything health and safety related as we are a small company.

It's such a shame as I was actually looking forward to level 4 and considering getting the books and being able to pick it up as and when I could this/next year. But this has completely got my back up and his attitude has made me want to pack it all in!

Thanks so much for your kind words (and everyone elses!) it really has helped. I'm dreading the chat as he won't be happy and I'll risk upsetting him for the remainder of my time here before mat leave but he's left me with no choice :-( x
  • Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    Options
    Glad I could be of help. That's what's nice about forums, you can get unbiased views and other opinions, with the added advantage that you can listen to the bits you want to and ignore anything you don't want to!

All I would say is, don't abandon your studies on principle (though I can understand that reaction). Stick to your original plan, have a book on standby, use it if you want to, don't if you don't. It's your future, not your boss's so do what's best for you in the long term.

I also think that he'll take it much better than you expect. As you say, he speaks before he thinks so once everything is spelled out to him, I'm sure he'll see things differently.

Last but not least, don't stress about it, and good luck with the baby. I'm very jealous of you soon to be having a newborn, my youngest is about to take her first steps and there is a little bit of me that is really sad that the baby days are very nearly over :-(
  • Vlee
    Vlee Registered Posts: 136 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Working for a small company can make things difficult, if you don't have HR support do you have a union or can you give ACAS or CAB a call for advice? Another option for legal advice is if you have home insurance you may have taken out legal protection - hopefully it won't come to this but they offer cover for employment disputes. We used it for advice only but a friend actually took her firm to tribunal and won - unfortunately this was a situation related to maternity leave so it does happen. Fingers crossed he understands and you can relax.

I have to say I am the complete opposite to Nps, I am so relieved to never have to do the baby thing again, mainly due to the back problem two pregnancies have caused. I am slightly sad my youngest is now 18 months and almost not a baby but it's nice to have a bit of time to myself on the horizon. Make sure you keep working at least part time, staying at home had driven me crazy.
  • MissGecko
    MissGecko Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hello,

Just reading this and getting really nervous, as I just signed up for Level 3, so having second thoughts about if I am going to be able to pass all subjects. I work full time so, with nearly 4 hours commuting every day, so I only revise on the train!

AAT Chick, I hope you passed with flying colours and it it is all ok with your baby.
  • topcat
    topcat Registered Posts: 452
    Options
    MissGecko wrote: »
    Hello,

Just reading this and getting really nervous, as I just signed up for Level 3, so having second thoughts about if I am going to be able to pass all subjects. I work full time so, with nearly 4 hours commuting every day, so I only revise on the train!

AAT Chick, I hope you passed with flying colours and it it is all ok with your baby.

Hi,

dont worry i was in a similar position as long as you put every spare minute in you can you will pass! i was struggling but gave up pretty much everything in spare time to get this done 2 hours every evening after work and around 6-8 hours at weekends . I am not smart by any means but i have found out if i put enough time into anything i will get there and you can do the same :thumbup1:

would advise doing as many practice papers, green light and questions as you can to help
  • MissGecko
    MissGecko Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi Topcat,

Thank you for your advice, I do the mock exams but never thought of the green light test. I need to put some hours during the weekend instead of napping...

Also I just realised I missed the whole second page of the Thread before replying :blushing: yesterday, not up to speed with the forum yet! But glad I found it to exchange tips and advice, chat and get support from more seasoned members.
  • AATchick
    Options
    Hi All,

It suddenly occured to me that I hadn't given an update on this situation at my work yet, and for that I apologise!

I had an appraisal a few weeks back and I went in there all prepared as to why I thought it would be a good idea to postpone doing Level 4... turns out before I'd even opened my mouth my boss told me he didn't think it was a good idea as per his words "doesn't think (I'd) do the qualification justice and give it the time it deserves". So in summary we've decided that I would take a year out to concentrate on my newborn and get back into it when I return to work next year.

Hoping to opt for part-time hours when I come back so I'm able to fit in looking after baby, work and studying.... might be a bit ambitious perhaps but I'd be willing to give it a try!

Thanks to everyone who advised and helped me through, it really helped :-) I'm looking forward to getting back into it if/when I can. It's just I think my little one comes first. Am due in 3 weeks (eek!) and can't wait for baby to arrive :-)
  • Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    Options
    Best of luck with the baby - exciting times. Enjoy every minute X
  • AATchick
    Options
    Awww thanks Nps :-D x
Privacy Policy