College or home study?

SammyRPA
SammyRPA Registered Posts: 26 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hello everyone :001_smile:

I just wondered if anyone had any advice on my next move...
I'm (hopefully) completing my level 3 on Tuesday (last exam--woohoo!) I'm with my local college at the moment and although i have had no problems there or anything, I was thinking of changing to Kaplan distance learning to do my level 4 mainly due to ease of family/work/less travelling etc..I know Kaplan appear to have good support, just still a tad nervous at the thought of moving from a 'structured' environment to self discipline at home ha!
Is anyone with Kaplan for level 4 and would or wouldn't recommend them? Or any other suggestions?
Just exploring options and any info would be much appreciated :thumbup1:

Sammy xo :001_smile:

Comments

• Chris B
    Chris B Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
    SammyRPA wrote: »
    Hello everyone :001_smile:

I just wondered if anyone had any advice on my next move...
    I'm (hopefully) completing my level 3 on Tuesday (last exam--woohoo!) I'm with my local college at the moment and although i have had no problems there or anything, I was thinking of changing to Kaplan distance learning to do my level 4 mainly due to ease of family/work/less travelling etc..I know Kaplan appear to have good support, just still a tad nervous at the thought of moving from a 'structured' environment to self discipline at home ha!
    Is anyone with Kaplan for level 4 and would or wouldn't recommend them? Or any other suggestions?
    Just exploring options and any info would be much appreciated :thumbup1:

Sammy xo :001_smile:

Hi, not the exact same circumstances but I went from doing AAT at a local college (levels 3 & 4) on a 1 day release over 2 whole academic years to doing CIMA at BPP which is very similar to Kaplan and their schedule was crunched into a couple of weeks with a 4 consecutive day revision week, and literally, that is all the classroom time you get. Their is a huge emphasis on you to do lots at home as you're basically packing in what a college would teach over half a year into a few weeks.

It's a big change in that respect, but it's a tried and tested method as the pass rates destroy local colleges.

Hope this helps, if you need anymore info just give me a shout

Chris
  • km
    km Registered Posts: 6 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi Sammy,

I completed all of my Level 2, 3 and 4 (with the exception of FNPF for the level 4) within the classroom study environment.

The one module I completed within live online was the one where I did better than the rest. I simply excelled at learning at home rather than in the classroom.

I'd urge you to reconsider how you feel you learn best, only you know. The one way I'd think about this is consider, when you're in the classroom, do you feel like you'd do better if you wasn't surrounded by people? Do you feel like you're at a different pace to the rest of the class? (further ahead, or behind, are both valid reasons to consider home study).

Remember, AAT Level 4 is a step up from Level 3 in terms of difficulty in the exam room and the sheer volume of required study (and thusly, the size of the books!) so if you find that home study isn't for you, it might not be a good move.

Having said this, I fully endorse home study and feel it is the future, for lack of a better phrase.
Privacy Policy