CIS for painter and decorator

Hi all,

This might sound a bit dumbass and has probably been asked a million times before - I need urgent advice - so apologies in advance. I used to know this years ago but haven't worked in construction for a verrry long time and remember very little.

As some of you may remember, I work for a recruitment agency so construction and CIS is something we've very rarely had contact with before. However we've recently used the services of a painter and decorator - a sole trader - who is 'invoicing' us for a fair amount of money (vat free as he's not apparently registered).

Should we just pay him his money and worry no more about it or perform basic checks such as asking for his UTR number and 'demonstrate' we've at least made an effort?



  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    Hi Robert,

    So, you've used this chap to do some work to your own offices, or you've placed him somewhere?


  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448
    Do you mean he is working for the recruitment agency on different jobs for different contractors? Or working on the office at the recruitment office?
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809
    ..or has he knocked up an extension for you at home and conveniently bumped up his bill for painting your office to cover it?
Privacy Policy