How to become an aat member without a training provider?

Options
paul2880
paul2880 Registered Posts: 5 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi Im thinking of self-studying aat level 2 certificate in accounting. Ive bought the books and read through them and think I am able to complete the course without a training provider. If I do complete the course, I would do level 3 with a training provider. Is it possible to register as an aat student without a training provider? Because we would need this to be able to do the tests etc? Thanks

Comments

• Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    Options
    Hi,

I've just answered on your other thread.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.
  • paul2880
    Options
    Hi Nps. Thanks for the very useful info... So should I just register with AAT after I have booked my first exam? (then I can put the training provider details in the AAT application process, which is needed to complete). Or will I need an AAT number before I book my exams? In which case I would just put them down in the application at first to receive my AAT student number. Thanks for your time.
  • Nps
    Options
    You'll probably need your AAT number before a centre will let you book the exam.

As for the learning provider for the application, just choose one at random, it really doesn't matter. I was always told that a centre could not upload your exam if they weren't shown as your provider (important for me as I sat exams with 2 different providers depending on who had availability) but others have said they've switched and changed exam centres without informing AAT so it sounds like it doesn't matter.

Did you realise that you can go straight onto level 3? As you are presumably self funding (as you are self studying), I'd hate for you to pay out a fortune in level 2 exams only to later find out you didn't need to. Many of us just studied level 2 for the knowledge but didn't actually sit exams, and then started exams at level 3 (you only need levels 3 & 4 to qualify).
  • paul2880
    Options
    Oh right. So as long as Im competent on level 2 (completing mock tests etc) for maybe a year then starting level 3..... Brilliant!! cant stress enough how useful your advice and information has been. , Thanks a lot..........that's made my mind up..............Here goes...
  • Nps
    Options
    No need to wait a year. I went from having no accountancy knowledge whatsoever, to level 4 qualified in 6 months. I spent a few weeks reading the level 2 books, then a few weeks doing level 3, a few months off to have a baby, then back onto level 4 for a couple of months. I did do it unusually quickly though as I had a deadline (and had lots of time as was on maternity leave), the norm is 1-3 years, particularly if you use a learning provider. The beauty of self studying is that you can go as quickly or slowly as you like.
  • paul2880
    Options
    Thanks. I have no accountancy experience whatsoever and plus I work full time. That's very quick...... Iv always been interested in accounting but never done anything about it. I done the online skills check and got 15 out of 30. Not sure how good that is but the first half was very straight forward. The second half, Debits and Credits seemed a tiny bit confusing.. Cant wait to tackle them.....
  • Nps
    Options
    Debits and credits are confusing as the concept is purely accounting so most people won't have come across double entry in their day to day lives. You'll soon get used to them!
Privacy Policy