Going on to study ACCA

Options
Hello,

I am currently studying AAT Level 3 at my local college. I left school not knowing what i wanted to do, the sensible thing would have been to stay on and complete my A levels anyway so i had options in the future. Stupidly i left school and got a full time job instead as the money appealed to me more at the time. Now i am doing my AAT qualification at college, hoping to go on and complete level 4 there and then complete the ACCA foundation level and then onto the professional qualification a long with the degree.

My question is, can i still enter for ACCA lower level after my AAT Level 4 even though i have no A Level qualifications?

Jade x

Comments

• ariadne
    ariadne Registered Posts: 218
    Options
    I have a strong suspicion that AAT L4 is a recognised alternative route to ACCA. L3 is awarded UCAS points which are more than a single A* a level (perhaps two grade Cs) and L4 is a step up from there. I would call ACCA to clarify as they have their own version of AAT style courses which they are pushing as an alternative to those without A Levels. This may have led to changes in the exemptions they allow - I'm working towards ACCA F1-3 partly for that reason.
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I believe Level 3 is recognised for entry onto ACCA (but no exemptions), whereas Level 4 will get you exemptions.
  • ariadne
    Options
    I think L4 only gets an exemption from one ACCA paper - F2, I saw this here and I'm now studying L4 modules alongside the corresponding ACCA papers. Plus getting the first three ACCA papers and a few more F papers will enable you to apply for MAAT without L4.
  • NeilH
    Options
    AAT Level 4 will give exemptions from ACCA F1 - F3. To gain MAAT without Level 4 you'll need to complete ACCA F1-F3 and two of ACCA F6, F8, F9.
  • ariadne
    Options
    According to this you are incorrect, AAT L4 under 2013 standards only gets exemption from F2. http://forums.aat.org.uk/discussion/439421/acca-exemptions#latest

Local colleges are offering F4 onwards after AAT L4 and it appears they are wrong. I've queried this with one who haven't bothered to reply but it seems ACCA are being clear. Even if you were granted exemptions it is probably a lot more cost effective to do the ACCA route if you plan to do ACCA anyway.
  • NeilH
    Options
    According to this, you are incorrect and need to get your facts straight rather than relying on old forum posts:
    https://portal.accaglobal.com/accrweb/faces/page/public/accreditations/enquiry/main/EnqProgrammesTable.jspx?_afPfm=ibxawya8k#

You need to select "ACCA Qualification" in the box titled "AAT LEVEL 4 OR LEVEL 8 DIPLOMA IN ACCOUNTING PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TECHNICIAN LEVEL"

Also:
    accaglobal.com/uk/en/qualifications/accountancy-career/aat-acca/faq.html

If you don't intend to complete AAT, then it's probably not worth starting Level 4. But, if you're going to do part of AAT and the corresponding ACCA papers you'll end up spending more time and money on your studies. Also, AAT will prepare you for later ACCA papers. I was a tutor for a tuition provider and AAT to ACCA students often do better on the later papers those you start straight at F1-F3 without any prior accounting studies. In addition, you'll also have a complete qualification rather than two partial completed qualifications.
  • NeilH
    Options
    That last but one sentence should say:

I was a tutor for a tuition provider and AAT to ACCA students often do better on the later papers than those who start straight at F1-F3 without any prior accounting studies
Privacy Policy