Letters of Engagement info and templates - Just starting out

Options
lisajayne1
lisajayne1 Registered Posts: 55 Regular contributor ⭐
I am just starting out and would like to know if people have a standard letter of Engagement for all works or have you compiled different letters for different activities such as tax returns, full accounts etc

Can the terms and conditions be in this engagement letter or do I need a separate one?

for example I am going to be doing a tax return for a lad very simple income expenses.. he'll be self employed for 6 months, then finished?? its a lot of info overload for such a small activity.

Also why I am asking is there a template available to give to self employed people with all the relevant questions

Any other income
P60
Self Employed
Pension
Capital Gains etc

Also is there a template letter for clients to sign saying " I can confirm this is based on the figures you have given me.. etc "

Sorry if I have missed the answers to the above on the AAT Site, just having a bit of info overload myself.

Many Thanks

Comments

• pirate
    pirate Registered Posts: 469 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Are you already a MIP? I think what's expected is in the practice assurance bit on the Aat website.. There is a practice assurance session which I think covers this and also AML..
    Hope that helps
  • lisajayne1
    Options
    Yes. A very new MIP, however 16 years working as self employed, and changing the habits of a lifetime.. its information overload but will go and have another look. ta
  • lisajayne1
    Options
    It was more templates (obvs the letter of engagement is there) was just wondering about the others
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    AAT have template letters of engagement and disengagement. We have then adapted these so that they contain all the necessary parts but then can 'build' a letter of engagement based on the services required/needed.

As for the other letters/templates.

Info required - can get from most tax software (keytime produces one with a list of last years details too). We do have a basic template which we created with the full info request typed out that we use. Just type something out with (if applicable) and list everything

We then have our own template for welcoming new clients and also for sending accounts for signature and most other normal circumstances such as inviting a client to review accounts at a meeting. This are all in word which can easily be copied to an email and tailored. All templates are set in an excel file which hyperlinks to the appropriate template.

All takes some setting up but is worth it now whilst you possibly have the time as it will help massively if/when you have staff.
    Regards,

Burg
  • lisajayne1
    Options
    Thank you so much burg, that's what I thought, take a bit of time setting up and get it right from the start.
    I have always completed tax returns manually but I am considering buying a tax software and if that incorporates template letters etc.. even better

Thanks again
    Regards
Privacy Policy