Looking for work experience, any tips/ideas?

So, I am now AAT qualified (horey) and as I do not have any sort of experience in the accounting/ bookkeeping, I thought I would start into an accountancy practice, entry level. Having no luck at all after lots of job applications around London, I thought I may start as a volunter into any kind of finance office jobs. But even so, I am finding it very hard to find something suitable. I am already registered in lots of websites and left my CV in several offices.

Would anyone here give me any tips/ ideas, or share your experiences please?
Thank you in advance :):)
Believe you can and you're halfway there...

Comments

• Christina
    Christina Registered Posts: 33 New contributor 🐸
    Hi BlueJeans. Well done on getting qualified.

Is there an AAT branch that meets locally to you? They are a good place to network, even as a student. At one of my local meetings they had a representative from Reed Accountancy give a presentation on CV writing/interview techniques, etc - maybe you could ask for something similar to be organised.

You say you're registered on lots of websites, but if you're not actually registered with any agencies themselves get yourself on their books asap. Then, when you see a job on the website you like the look of, you can call up the agency and ask if they'd consider putting you forward. As you've already met the recruitment consultant, you're halfway there.

As for experience. Are there any local charities who might need some help with their bookkeeping. I became treasurer of my local scout group 3 years ago when I was not far in to my AAT studies. At the time I working in a school kitchen and as part of that did a bit of cash handling where I would reconcile orders against money paid. More recently I met a local bookkeeper who was kind enough to have me at her office one morning a week entering one of her client's invoices, etc into Kashflow.

When you have little to no accounting experience you have to highlight your transferable skills on your CV. Working to deadlines and problem-solving are the most obvious I can think of that I have needed. Also, don't be put off when you see a job you think you'd like to do but don't have all the skills and experience for. A willingness to learn means you are more likely to be up-to-date with your knowledge.

My story? It took me over a year (but on and off looking) to find a job. I had a number of interviews (all in industry - I would have preferred to work in practice but having a job at all was more important). I even got to second interview on a couple of occasions. Then I saw a job advertised by an agency, that I knew I wasn't qualified/experienced enough for but threw caution to the wind and applied anyway. They called me that afternoon. The circumstances were a bit mad - they'd already had 3 temps not work out there and were desperate - the job was in a practice - I started the next day! I've been there almost 8 months now and have become a permanent employee. It's been a hell of a steep learning curve but I've enjoyed every minute and I'm so glad I pushed that 'apply' button.

Good luck!
  • BlueJeans
    BlueJeans Registered Posts: 56
    Good evening Christina
    Thank you very much for sharing your experience. :)

AAT branch locally? I will find out about this, that seems interesting!

I am registered with few agencies as well and have been called quite a few times on different interviews, but as I mention, due to luck of experience I couldn't go further.

I have got a few local charities as well and I will ask there, thanks for the idea ;).
    Right now, all that I need is that "chance", hopefully something will come up. I was more interested in voluntering, but I find it a bit dissapointing when I am asked to volunter for 35 and over hours per week :( ( I already hold two part time jobs)

Thanks for the CV tips as well, I may have a closer look to make few changes.

Well done to you, really! When I hear stories like yours, it keeps me going!
    Good luck on the new job & all the best! x

• richf
    richf Registered Posts: 86 New contributor 🐸
    Hi blue jeans.

Congratulations on finishing AAT.

I feel your pain. I was lucky and got some experience in my previous job by volunteering to do literally anything accountancy related no matter how vague to fill out my CV. Though still, recruitment consultants saw straight through it and saw that my experience was vague at best.

It took my four months to get an interview. Though a mate of a mate gave me a pseudo interview which really helped me see my flaws. Following that I pushed to see my local hays, with no specific job in mind, and had an interview with them which came to nothing. But the key is to not get disappointed and really try and learn from each experience.

My next idea was to apply to graduate jobs, as I have a degree from years ago, I didnt meet the criteria for these jobs so I rang each company first, trying to find a HR person and get them on side. Again this gave much useful experience. Particularly as the applications teach you to reflect in what you have done, and what may be transferable.

Keep tweaking your CV with each input, and try your hardest despite knowing you may not be who they are looking for.

Ultimately my best tactic was scouring lots of local companies websites for roles and contacting them before sending my CV. Less likely to just get binned.

In the end I had a job offer, a short list to between me and another, and a couple of second interviews in the same week!

Keep trying and you'll get there.

Anything you can do to fill your CV is great, as is keeping positive and learning to sell what you have learnt previously.

Good luck!

Regards

Rich.
  • richf
    Just one more thing blue jeans.

Take what recruitment consultants say with a pinch of salt and don't let it get you down.

If you are not there average client and don't fit a box they can put you in they are less than helpful at actually geting interviews as you are not an easy sell. And you won't fit the list of requirements that a employer may have given them.

Applying direct employers will take your whole situation into account, and will ultimately have to pay less to employ you which is a bonus for them.

Regards

Rich
  • BlueJeans
    Hi richf :)

Thank you very much for the tips and advices. I am trying to do everything by the book (lol) and honestly, I hate to think that all my sacrifices, time and money dedicated to this qualification will go to nothing. Most of the recrutiment agencies that I am calling, tell me they deal with only experienced bookkeepers / accountants.

Yes, I have to keep hanging there ( honestly, I never knew it was so hard)

Thank you both, for your time and tips and best of luck! xx
  • richf
    No problem blue jeans,

You don't say what your experience is?

Don't lie on your CV, but you can over emphasise things.

I listed software that I had knowledge of through my work, both the standard stuff like Microsoft Office and other to show I was adaptable and good with IT ( though my previous job was in a large part dealing with software which wasn't relevant).

I also listed sage knowledge, highlighting that I had done a module covering this in AAT. Additionally I reviewed Xero and Sage in my project, which I listed with brief points relating to this.

At the base level of jobs having a good knowledge of pivot tables, vlookups and tables is a plus, add a few bits about "match", "index" and the like to make you stand out.

Easy to pick up these basic things via YouTube and will make you sound more useful.

Give us more details and maybe can be more specific with suggestions.

Regards

Richard
  • BlueJeans
    Good Morning Richard
    Thank you very much for your ideas and suggestions, I will read carefully into it.

My experience.... it's not too promising.
    I have a degree in Forestry (this is not gained in the UK) and the AAT qualification.
    A couple of years back, I completed an accountacy course (training course, about 2 months where I was trained on Sage, Quicbooks and Payroll) thinking that straight after I will be able to start working in finances while I was studying AAT, which didn't happen.
    I am quite familiar with excel (I used to help in a pet shop calculating their monthly profits and mostly I have been teaching myself)
    For the past few years, I have been working in retail and schools mostly, but nothing to do with finances.

Your ideas about listing bits I have done here and there seem great, I definitely need to review my CV.

Thanks again for your time and suggestions. :)

• Christina
    Christina Registered Posts: 33 New contributor 🐸
    Hey @richf, good to see you on the other side of the nightmare that was Chic Paints Ltd =) and that you have a job now.

@BlueJeans, Richard has given you loads of ideas so I hope this doesn't now come as information overload...You mentioned some Sage, Quickbooks and payroll training. Payroll is really handy for industry or practice. I'm sure I only got put forward for my job because the recruitment consultant misread the bit on my CV about posting payroll journals as having experience in payroll. Did you use payroll software during your course? Having experience of using the bookkeeping packages is useful too, though there are so many different ones (even of Sage), but once you've used a couple it should be fairly easy to find your way around others.

If practice is the way you want to go, it would be a good idea to gen up on auto-enrolment thepensionsregulator.gov.uk/, and CIS taxing (Construction Industry Scheme - something I don't remember even touching on during the AAT courses but vital to know about if working in practice). Also VAT - the HMRC website is a good source of reference for these, they do webinars/recordings as well.

For job hunting - a recruitment/job fair would be another good place to go. Are you anywhere near Woking or Colchester? Both are hosting one tomorrow! You may not find (m)any accountancy firms at them but there is usually a CV reviewers stand. I was lucky and had mine looked at for free, my daughter was charged £10 at the fair she attended. There will be a variety of companies and recruitment agencies attend, and there are bound to be finance jobs within them. Even if they are a bit out of your region, you might find some companies there are a commutable distance from you.

Keep us posted on your progress :)

Christina
  • richf
    Hi @Christina, dam that chic paints project seems a long time ago. Thanks, have been working as an accounts assistant since end of May and well done to you too.

Good point regards software Christina, there is a lot about. The Software we use is partially bespoke partially rare as hen's teeth. Generally being able to illustrate you can use some accounts software is a transferable skill in itself. Excel skills are quite useful and universally accepted as a plus. Sounds like in reality you had more training on Software than I did!

Do you know of any local clubs you could help with bookkeeping? Via family, friends or perhaps the school's you have worked might be best route for this. As a filler it shows commitment but may not be as time consuming as charity work.

Like Christina said it is good gen up on the area you are looking at. When I was going through a phase of going for jobs in Audit for example I found it helpful looking up details on the audit thresholds on the AAT website along with articles by icaew and ACCA. Used alongside the government stuff they can be helpful as written more with someone at our level in mind.

Kind regards,

Richard
Privacy Policy