AAT Level 4 Synoptic Exam

Options

Comments

• Lindi
    Lindi Registered Posts: 166
    Options
    @student I am fearing the very same thing. But I figure something in my tutoring or learning strategy will have to change, as I felt confident of a pass or even a good mark and there is no point studying the way I have been as clearly that is not what AAT want me to learn? If anyone has any bright ideas I'm open for comments.
  • MilesG16
    MilesG16 Registered Posts: 8
    Options
    Can anyone tell me whats a good revision pack for the level 4 synoptic?
  • NatalieSarantos
    NatalieSarantos Registered Posts: 150
    Options
    @MilesG16 I used osborne tutorial and workbook, BPP question bank (I didn't finish it) and Kaplan question kit and that really worked for me. Kaplan book I did twice (its small.)
  • MilesG16
    MilesG16 Registered Posts: 8
    Options
    Thankyou
  • Lindi
    Options
    I studied the Kaplan book cover to cover and still failed the exam. I am starting to think it's not what I know but how I present it. My whole thinking process will need to change to pass AAT's Synoptic. Any mind readers welcome to comment on what exactly these examiners are expecting.
  • NatalieSarantos
    NatalieSarantos Registered Posts: 150
    Options
    @Lindi I felt the same way with tasks 3 and 6. Don't know what else I could have done to get an exceeded! I did 4 books!!!
  • GemGem17
    GemGem17 Registered Posts: 30
    Options
    Have they published the examiners feedback yet for the synoptic? If so, where can we find it?
  • Lindi
    Options
    @GemGem17 No I can't see it. I thought it would be in the Study Support section. Will keep an eye on it.
  • GemGem17
    Options
    @Lindi Thanks :) I see they have added an E-Learning for writing skills, I don't people's writing skills are the issue with this exam!
  • Lindi
    Options
    @GemGem17 again this was not available to me when I prepared for the exam. Like I said in my appeal - looks like they were setting us up to fail.
  • GemGem17
    Options
    @Lindi it wasn't available for me either, resources and study materials were extremely limited and still are. I've forked out £47 on a full set of Kaplan books for my re-sit to hopefully give me a better chance of passing.
  • Whisper
    Whisper Registered Posts: 13
    Options
    I second the Kaplan Exam kit - it is really worth getting for the synoptic (it's tiny, but every page will help)
  • Lindi
    Options
    Seen the examiners report - makes me sick to my stomach. I've passed all 3 other units, studied controls thoroughly and applied it all to the scenario, making it relevant. Students are only apportioning their time wrong as there is not enough time to get through it all properly.
    Poor excuses and blaming the students for poor preparation on AAT's part.
  • tinkerbell0406
    tinkerbell0406 Registered Posts: 58
    Options
    I cannot find it, do u have link to the report?
  • student
    student Registered Posts: 44
    Options
    Also the low pass rate for task 4 which does not mean that anything is wrong with this task .
    All the blames are on the students who could not pass.
    I got 97%,91%,82% respectively for FS, Budgeting
    And MCDL but I get 58% in synoptic, and it is all my fault that i could not achive competent.thanks to the AAT and it's fair analyse. It made me sick as well.
  • marialucas
    marialucas Registered Posts: 49
    Options
    > @student said:
    > Also the low pass rate for task 4 which does not mean that anything is wrong with this task .
    > All the blames are on the students who could not pass.
    > I got 97%,91%,82% respectively for FS, Budgeting
    > And MCDL but I get 58% in synoptic, and it is all my fault that i could not achive competent.thanks to the AAT and it's fair analyse. It made me sick as well.
    Where can I find it??
    Thanks
  • student
    Options
    I don't know, I was actually provided with the information by my tutor.
  • Multiplicator
    Multiplicator Registered Posts: 116
    Options
    // I got 97%,91%,82% respectively for FS, Budgeting
    And MCDL but I get 58% in synoptic, and it is all my fault that i could not achive competency//
    ...... is a complete non-sequitur

Now suppose I scored 50% 50% 58% 98% - would people say - "Oh yeah the course really clicked in the final few weeks!" or would they perhaps ascribe this to seeing the paper before the exam or straightforward cheating ?

and yet when it occurs the other way round, candidates are quite prepared to accept AAT's "explanations" that the system is meant to work like this.

It isnt - if you have four modules where candidates score specitacularly highly and then a final where everyone fails ( ours at level 3 St Johns Manchester appears to be 94% failed)
    then you can conclude there is something wrong with the assessment and not the candidates
  • student
    Options
    I don't know why AAT does not accept any part of this failure.
    is this the way we should learn fairness and then apply it in all our professional and business relationship?
  • Multiplicator
    Options
    // is this the way we should learn fairness and then apply it in all our professional and business relationship?//inLvel 3

I am more than prepared to point out the failings that have occurred in level 3 and 4 this year to any regulator - it is just that I cant find one ( the right one)

Anyone who invested in a Level 3 or 4 course and has failed by now once or twice will have realised that they have invested in a dog. However when they entered they were given a reasonable expectation that they would follow a course and then be tested on it

instead AAT have tested their new style test on the paying candidates.
    I wouldnt have paid £2000 in fees if I had been told there is very strong chance 95% will fail the final module.

we've been conned !

• Lindi
    Options
    My thoughts exactly, and that's the point I was trying to get across to them in my appeal. It's a combination of poor study support and greatly elevated marking standards which were beyond reach for at least 80-90% of students. The examiners feedback really placed the blame on students not sitting the mandatory modules first; not approaching the written tasks properly and not assigning the right amount of time to each task - placing all the blame on the students. Whereas AAT have not provided guidance on writing techniques so we did our best; and they did not allow enough time to properly analyse a company and make life changing decisions which would affect trade and the company's own staff. What is the point in teaching you about ethics and Profit People Planet if you're not applying this to the scenarios. Also, it is a theory that perhaps the tasks should have been answered in a theoretical manner, before applying it to the said company. I must admit I thought the exam was about the company but perhaps I need to look deeper into it when I resit.
  • Lindi
    Options
    Sorry by theoretical I mean generic.
  • Multiplicator
    Options
    hi Lindi can you give me the URL for the examiners' feedback please ?

Hey time for a joke to lighten this conversation:
    I am redoing PETH for level 3 retake and one question as completed read
    "AAT is committed as regulator to ensuring public confidence in the field of accountancy and upholding the public interest"

we have no confidence in AAT and they are doing diddly squat about it and the only interest they have upheld is their own ! ter daah !
    (PETH is a bit airy fairy and not related to reality etc]
  • Lindi
    Options
    @Multiplicator - I'll see if I can find it again. This is PDSY though which is the L4 Synoptic.
  • Multiplicator
    Options
    Yes thanks Lindi - I am covering both as Level 3 and level 4 share the same (er) generic problems. - and the chance of progressing to level 4 for me is vanishingly small
  • LewGallagher
    LewGallagher Registered Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi All,

Ive stumbled across these forums and I must admit reading them all rings very familiar with the situation I have found myself in. I had good marks in the three build up papers however, despite feeling ready and that I had done enough work, I failed the AQ2016 Level 4 synoptic paper which at first I had put down to a bad day at the office however it seems a lot of us are in the same boat.

I have sent my email across to AAT seeking abit of feedback and advice but I dont expect much. My plan now is to roll my sleeves up and have another go head first. My question to you all and maybe this may help us all is what tools have you been using to revise with? Myself I have been using the osborne books mixed with the AAT sample papers which I felt alright with. Just wondering if there are some other free to use tools elsewhere that we could all perhaps chip in? if someone else has posted theirs if I could be pointed in that direction it would be great!

Thanks in advance, I hope we all get there in the end :)
  • minicooper
    minicooper Registered Posts: 19
    Options
    I have sent a complaint via the post and also attached a copy on an email address to Mark Farrar (chief exec) who has personally responded to me saying he is looking into the issues and will get back to me, I urge everyone to do this. i also forwarded my complaint onto ofqual however they responded advising they are unable to do anything until there is a finalized answer from AAT therefore no point in doing this until there is a final answer.
  • Lindi
    Options
    Examiner's Feedback for L4 PDSY though not during my sitting, as I only sat on 05/07 and this is only up to the end of June but still an interesting read. Not sure where we ALL went wrong...
  • Lindi
    Options
    @minicooper - did you wait for your appeal outcome before sending it on to Mark Farrar, as I think he'll just tell me to wait for the outcome. 20 days plus 1 bank holiday brings it to an answer next Friday 15/09. Should I wait?
  • Lindi
    Options
    @LewGallagher - I am so glad you have come to realise that it's not you that failed but AAT who has failed you. I hope something comes of it, as they would be better off admitting their errors rather than risking damaging exposure.
Privacy Policy