Careers After Level 4

Hi I am currently working in a company but don't do that much account work. I have almost finished level 4 and have been looking for a new job in accounts. My problem is all jobs i've seen which i could apply for are only around 18k or less. I was under the impression you could earn more after level 4. I now feel AAT is sort of a waste of time as you can be an administrator for 18k with no qualifications.
Has anyone else found having an AAT qualification doesn't actually benefit them when looking for a decent paid job?

Comments

• MickdundeeMickdundee LondonPosts: 305Registered
    Of course it benefits you. But you need experience with the qualification to be on a better salary.

You wouldn't let a heating engineer fix your boiler if they'd only read how to do it in a book, would you?

The AAT gives students unrealistic expectations.
    danjswade
  • JayB2606JayB2606 StaffordshirePosts: 35FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant
    I agree, with Mick

Training providers and job sites don't help either, I keep getting email saying

"become AAT qualified and earn up to £43,500"

Which makes me chuckle a little as when I first became AAT I was on £19k and then when I became ACCA I was on £32k
    ACCA, FMAAT, Licenced Accountant and ACCA Practising Certificate
  • SC1234SC1234 Posts: 19Registered
    How are you supposed to get the experience if no one will employ you because you don't have the experience?
    I would like to go on to do my ACCA but I'd like to get a job in an accounting practice first. Otherwise I might do my ACCA and still not be able to get a job because I still don't have experience..
    edited June 2
    I don't think there is enough careers advice available and yes I also think the AAT give unrealistic expectations.
    ACCA have there own job site which maybe able to assist you

https://jobs.accaglobal.com/jobs/

if you are wanting to do ACCA, perhaps register and get the exemptions from F1 - F3, even thou its not much, but would show employers you are committed to furthering your education.

I would not get disheartened until you have exhausted all paths
    Thank you @JayB2606! I will have a look. I'm trying not to, just getting frustrated after working so hard to get my AAT. But I will not give up. Thank you :)
  • CasuCasu Posts: 101Registered, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    SC1234 said:

I don't think there is enough careers advice available and yes I also think the AAT give unrealistic expectations.

Ive never had any careers advice in my life, not even from school. You make out of life what you put in. Keep going. Ive seen some folk post 500 applications before they had success. It only takes one and then you are off and running.

• BertieBertie West Midlands Posts: 376Registered
    Having the experience is what dictates the salary.

Those who succeed just crack-on.

To be earning over £40k with the AAT qualification is rare*. It's not unheard of, but you'll form part of the minority.

* Unless:

1) You've plenty of experience.
    2) Running your own business.

Usually in business you'll need a chartered qualification to continue to rise through the ranks.

£18k for an inexperienced future accountant isn't bad. Yes, you could earn more elsewhere, but you'd be on a road to something better working your way up.

Everybody wants the flash cars and nice houses straight away.

It's a slog - have a ten year plan.

If you want to become a millionaire overnight, either; manage to win the lottery, or design some killer mobile app.
    SC1234 said:

Thank you @JayB2606! I will have a look. I'm trying not to, just getting frustrated after working so hard to get my AAT. But I will not give up. Thank you :)

No worries, Message me if you would like any assistance, I would say to anyone interested in ACCA or ACA, try a pop a long to one of the regional network events - I myself am part of the west midlands panel.
    SC1234
    That's great, thank you @JayB2606 appreciate it :)