Professional subscription claim

peter4run AATQB Posts: 9
Hi there. Can a student member claim to HMRC the membership fee (apply to change the tax code)? And if yes, can claim it for previous years as well?
Thank you


  • Irrorate
    Irrorate Registered Posts: 139
    I don't believe AAT are on the approved tax relief list but a quick Google search would reveal the answer to this.
  • peter4run
    peter4run AATQB Posts: 9
    AAT are on HMRC list. The question remain: a student member can apply or need to be full member?
    To post that question here means that I did a small research first. Therefore an answer "google it" is not an answer. Thanks anyway.
  • CSan89
    CSan89 MAAT Posts: 207
    If you work in accountancy then i don't see why not. Even studying i would say it is highly likely that you can claim. Not sure about previous years but i have a feeling that you can claim back from previous 6 years but i wouldn't hold me to that :p
    AAT Level 2&3 - 2016
    AAT Level 4 - 2017
    Personal Tax, Business Tax and External Auditing

    ACA/CTA -
    Certificate Level - Jan 2019
  • peter4run
    peter4run AATQB Posts: 9
    I pay the subscription of course.
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553
    Professional subscriptions (on the HMRC list) are deductible providing they are required/related to your job, however, training and study costs are not deductible. HMRC may view student membership fees as part of training/study costs.
Privacy Policy