Problems with the Synoptic Level 4 assessment marking??

Options

Comments

• MissHermansen
    MissHermansen Registered Posts: 103
    Options
    Lindi said:

There is power in numbers, and the AAT rely heavily on feedback from its stakeholders - training providers and students alike. I'm not sure about this but on one of the training provider's websites it says they tend to take the resit's results, not as in many standard exams the better of the two - so bear this in mind when you're resitting, especially in this current climate where the exams sound to be a little out of this world...

100% agree with this!
  • bexyamy
    bexyamy Registered Posts: 2
    Options
    I got 75%... upsetting when you try so hard. Previously I have been achieving 90% and above aside from one exam which was 88%. Was on track for a distinction and now I've been knocked down to a merit.

How demotivating. :(
  • CharlieM
    CharlieM Registered Posts: 1
    Options
    I got 73% which is really disappointing, I thought the exam went well and I was expecting to achieve in the 80's. Previous unit results have been 88%, 95% and 97%. I think the synoptic needs investigating especially after all the fiasco with MDCL!
  • MilesG16
    MilesG16 Registered Posts: 8
    Options
    I feel the same as its seems many others feel about the synoptic exam, i put a lot of effort into revising the three modules that this was based on and came away feeling like I hadn't been prepared for what was expected of me... its the first exam i have not made the grade on so of course i am disappointed but it just feels like this was way above the usual expected level and even the material provided to study from.. there was way to much to have to try and absorb and make judgements on in the time available especially under examination conditions... I understand that its a new method of examining but it seems that a lot of people feel like we are guinea pigs in an experiment that has not been thought through.. however this wasn't even the thing that annoyed me most about situation, the study windows just seem ridiculous as i only found out Friday that i have failed and i have to try and sort out and improve for a resit on Wednesday without knowing where i have gone wrong or even a chance to speak our lecturer.. i just do not see how this has been let to happen by an organisation such as aat.
    I know im not the only person that feels massively deflated by this especially after previous problems with the other module..
  • student
    student Registered Posts: 44
    edited July 2017
    Options
    the worse thing about resitting this exam is, you have to go over 3 modules once again I believe I had highest chance of pass in the first sit
  • Daryl818
    Daryl818 Registered Posts: 20
    Options
    I have my resit Thursday and I have forgot more than I originally learnt!!

Even the online mocks are stressing me out.

I'm just going to blag as much as possible...
  • student
    student Registered Posts: 44
    Options
    Don't panic it is the same for me you are not alone
  • Lindi
    Lindi Registered Posts: 166
    Options
    After some extensive research I am of the opinion that this Synoptic is more ACCA/chartered standards. I've seen a thread earlier in which someone commented that they felt the exam was more like the ACCA F5 paper. So when i've done some reading into this, I've realised that most of the stuff we seem to have to learn for the Synoptic does actually appear in that paper on Performance Measurement. This is shocking, as ACCA pass rates are relatively low and not a ridiculously high bar of 70%. I have no idea what to expect when I sit it on Wednesday other than expect it to be very tricky and a little unfamiliar, but my thinking is:

if you have a good understanding of how the different costing systems work,
    understand the implications of different directions a company considers, as this will aid decision making and help you to identify any weaknesses in the budgetary and decision making process.
    SWOT helps too here, so will be practising loads of those.
    Understand ratio's and their purpose and what can influence them.
    Make sure I know my variances and how to calculate and interpret them,
    And do a lot of praying between now and Wednesday afternoon.....╬
  • MissHermansen
    Options
    > @CharlieM said:
    > I got 73% which is really disappointing, I thought the exam went well and I was expecting to achieve in the 80's. Previous unit results have been 88%, 95% and 97%. I think the synoptic needs investigating especially after all the fiasco with MDCL!

I urge you to put a complaint in.. it is not fair that you should be knocked down a grade because of this fiasco!
  • MissHermansen
    Options
    > @Lindi said:
    > After some extensive research I am of the opinion that this Synoptic is more ACCA/chartered standards. I've seen a thread earlier in which someone commented that they felt the exam was more like the ACCA F5 paper. So when i've done some reading into this, I've realised that most of the stuff we seem to have to learn for the Synoptic does actually appear in that paper on Performance Measurement. This is shocking, as ACCA pass rates are relatively low and not a ridiculously high bar of 70%. I have no idea what to expect when I sit it on Wednesday other than expect it to be very tricky and a little unfamiliar, but my thinking is:
    >
    > if you have a good understanding of how the different costing systems work,
    > understand the implications of different directions a company considers, as this will aid decision making and help you to identify any weaknesses in the budgetary and decision making process.
    > SWOT helps too here, so will be practising loads of those.
    > Understand ratio's and their purpose and what can influence them.
    > Make sure I know my variances and how to calculate and interpret them,
    > And do a lot of praying between now and Wednesday afternoon.....╬

If it is ACCA level that definitely is not fair.. we are sitting an AAT Level 4 exam.. I am more and more convinced they need to sort this absolute shambles!
  • MissHermansen
    Options
    > @MilesG16 said:
    > I feel the same as its seems many others feel about the synoptic exam, i put a lot of effort into revising the three modules that this was based on and came away feeling like I hadn't been prepared for what was expected of me... its the first exam i have not made the grade on so of course i am disappointed but it just feels like this was way above the usual expected level and even the material provided to study from.. there was way to much to have to try and absorb and make judgements on in the time available especially under examination conditions... I understand that its a new method of examining but it seems that a lot of people feel like we are guinea pigs in an experiment that has not been thought through.. however this wasn't even the thing that annoyed me most about situation, the study windows just seem ridiculous as i only found out Friday that i have failed and i have to try and sort out and improve for a resit on Wednesday without knowing where i have gone wrong or even a chance to speak our lecturer.. i just do not see how this has been let to happen by an organisation such as aat.
    > I know im not the only person that feels massively deflated by this especially after previous problems with the other module..

Please please please put this in writing to AAT.. they cannot get away with treating us this way and gaining huge profits on our resits. They simply cannot ignore this especially if every single one of us speak up.. pasd or not!
  • MissHermansen
    Options
    > @bexyamy said:
    > I got 75%... upsetting when you try so hard. Previously I have been achieving 90% and above aside from one exam which was 88%. Was on track for a distinction and now I've been knocked down to a merit.
    >
    > How demotivating. :(

Please do not just accept this fate.. you clearly deserve a distinction so I urge you to put in a complaint. Your results should be raised!
  • bexyamy
    bexyamy Registered Posts: 2
    Options

> @bexyamy said:

> I got 75%... upsetting when you try so hard. Previously I have been achieving 90% and above aside from one exam which was 88%. Was on track for a distinction and now I've been knocked down to a merit.

>

> How demotivating. :(

Please do not just accept this fate.. you clearly deserve a distinction so I urge you to put in a complaint. Your results should be raised!

I have made a complaint already and I'm encouraging others from my college to do the same! Hopefully AAT will take notice eventually
  • MissHermansen
    Options
    > @bexyamy said:
    > > @bexyamy said:
    >
    > > I got 75%... upsetting when you try so hard. Previously I have been achieving 90% and above aside from one exam which was 88%. Was on track for a distinction and now I've been knocked down to a merit.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > How demotivating. :(
    >
    >
    >
    > Please do not just accept this fate.. you clearly deserve a distinction so I urge you to put in a complaint. Your results should be raised!
    >
    > I have made a complaint already and I'm encouraging others from my college to do the same! Hopefully AAT will take notice eventually

They will have to! We have all paid a lot for this course. I believe we will get an uplift
  • MissHermansen
    Options
    I just had an email from AAT with assistance on how to revise for the Synoptic Exam... this is 2 months late! We have already sat the exam..
  • CharlotteSylvia
    CharlotteSylvia Registered Posts: 28
    Options

I just had an email from AAT with assistance on how to revise for the Synoptic Exam... this is 2 months late! We have already sat the exam..

Would you mind sharing? I have my resit on Thursday and need all the help I can get!

I sent a lengthy complain to AAT yesterday, we shall see what happens!
  • PB96
    PB96 Registered Posts: 7
    Options
    If you see the feedback from AAT regarding the first/second sittings of Level 4 Synoptic Assessment, they have outlined that the Synoptic provides 'new challenges' to any other assessment and should be prepared for. The feedback from Friday (Just gone) is similar to the feedback from March's sitting and considering the response I and other students who failed the exam first time around (re-sitting in this window), it would surprise me if the AAT did a U-Turn and offered a percentage increase/review.

I agree in power in numbers also but going by previous feedback, it would suggest they are not changing their stance.

All in all, it very difficult to revise for and prepare for. Good luck in any re-sits and hope you all pass, as I also hope that the AAT do review the exams for us all!
  • steady88
    steady88 Registered Posts: 25
    Options
    PB96 said:

If you see the feedback from AAT regarding the first/second sittings of Level 4 Synoptic Assessment, they have outlined that the Synoptic provides 'new challenges' to any other assessment and should be prepared for. The feedback from Friday (Just gone) is similar to the feedback from March's sitting and considering the response I and other students who failed the exam first time around (re-sitting in this window), it would surprise me if the AAT did a U-Turn and offered a percentage increase/review.

I agree in power in numbers also but going by previous feedback, it would suggest they are not changing their stance.

All in all, it very difficult to revise for and prepare for. Good luck in any re-sits and hope you all pass, as I also hope that the AAT do review the exams for us all!

Can I ask where the feedback is? I assumed it's in study support section but couldn't find it?

I'm doing my first synoptic (and hopefully last) on Saturday. I read some comments (a little higher on this page) about how it's similar to an ACCA paper, where the pass mark is 50%. If that's the case, then it is very wrong to expect AAT students to be at that standard and to also have to get 70% instead of 50%.

If I do have to resit I might look to purchase the ACCA performance management book, but I shouldn't have too, as my Kaplan text should be enough to prepare me.
  • Lindi
    Options
    steady88 said:

PB96 said:

Can I ask where the feedback is? I assumed it's in study support section but couldn't find it?

I'm doing my first synoptic (and hopefully last) on Saturday. I read some comments (a little higher on this page) about how it's similar to an ACCA paper, where the pass mark is 50%. If that's the case, then it is very wrong to expect AAT students to be at that standard and to also have to get 70% instead of 50%.

If I do have to resit I might look to purchase the ACCA performance management book, but I shouldn't have too, as my Kaplan text should be enough to prepare me.
    That's what I have discovered, like you I'm following every thread possible to get the best sporting chance at this. For what it's worth, there is a website which has the F5 study materials on for free, it's American but carries the gist of it all. Look for it, it's called opentuition - I've read through the pocket notes for the F5 paper (ACCA) and watched a couple of videos. There are also some useful ACCA videos on Youtube on ABC, Target Costing and Lifecycle Costing. All I'm doing this afternoon is more practice. I have been doing a lot of written questions so hopefully they'll be okay, now to recap on the numbers, Good luck everyone!!
  • MissHermansen
    Options
    > @CharlotteSylvia said:
    > I just had an email from AAT with assistance on how to revise for the Synoptic Exam... this is 2 months late! We have already sat the exam..
    >
    > Would you mind sharing? I have my resit on Thursday and need all the help I can get!
    >
    > I sent a lengthy complain to AAT yesterday, we shall see what happens!

Im trying to share the link but my comment doesnt get approved..! Synoptic Assessment E learning
  • Lindi
    Options
    Doesn't seem to be anything helpful on the AAT E-learning or even on the internet. Try the Professional Lucky Dip Test, you can access it from one of the mandatory units' study support. That's pretty good.
  • JDigby
    JDigby Registered Posts: 17
    Options
    I got 85% in the Synoptic, just about getting me a distinction overall..literally 84% and I wouldn't have got it. For people doing a resit, I think someone said it before and I would definitely agree, just ramble on as much as possible. It's what I've been doing all year in the written questions and it seems to have worked. If you can think of something that seems to be even remotely relevant then get it in there if you have time. Or get a thorough understanding of certain things that you think may come up and are easy to make a lot of points on, and even if its a loose link, make it relevant and you'll probably pick up some marks.

I don't think I'm allowed to elaborate on specific things I'd looked up, but yeah I'd say just try and break down the pre release material and see what it is trying to tell you, look for scenarios that you think may come up and in a way have a bulk of written answers prepared in your head already.
  • ScottB
    ScottB Registered Posts: 21
    Options
    @JDigby u say u got 85% but 84 would put u a grade lower.. I thought if u got a distinction on a unit I didn't really matter if it was say 91 or 100 how is the final grade weighted regards to marks? Thanks
  • JDigby
    JDigby Registered Posts: 17
    Options
    @ScottB It's weighted based on the actual marks you receive, with the weightings as follows:

Exam (It's weighting in your final grade): My mark for that exam.

So for example in my scenario:
    Synoptic Assesment (35%) : 85%
    Budgeting (15%): 94%
    Financial Statements (15%): 93%
    Decision & Control (15%): 92%
    Option 1 (10%): 92%
    Option 2 (10%): 89%

So, to work out my overall mark for the course, I calculate the weighted average of those marks.

(0.35 * 0.85) + (0.15 * 0.94) + (0.15 * 0.93) + (0.15 * 0.92) + (0.1 * 0.92) + (0.1 * 0.89) = 0.897 or 89.7%

Fortunately they give your overall mark as a whole number and so mine was rounded to 90.

• Irrorate
    Irrorate Registered Posts: 139
    Options
    I've been tracking mine and to get a distinction I'd need to resit probably 3 units, so merit is my best option!

@ScottB here's my little excel tracker for you if you want to see what you're on track to achieve and what you need, just insert your percentage into the 'Score' column.
  • ScottB
    ScottB Registered Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks @JDigby and @Irrorate
  • tinkerbell0406
    tinkerbell0406 Registered Posts: 58
    Options
    Has anyone appealed? Against June 30 results
  • marialucas
    marialucas Registered Posts: 49
    Options
    Haven't but sent a long email complaining about how bad organised and short noticed the gave us. Got my results at 17.15 on Friday 30th therefore my tutor did not send me the breakdown until Monday. Had only two evenings ( as working full time ) to go through the bits I went wrong. They can't say I should have been studying before receiving the results coz left the exam feeling that okay and confident that I'd pass. Only got 62%. I understand they might not do anything about it but they should learn from their mistakes and bad organisation.
  • busydays
    busydays Registered Posts: 12
    Options
    I've just come out of my synoptic exam and found it so much easier than last time! I got 71% at the last sitting and decided to try and improve on it. I'm so glad I did. I have no idea if it was just luck of the draw and I happened to get easier questions from the same question bank or if the aat have simplified the questions. Question 4 was horrid last time but this time the answer was really obvious, question 6 was also much easier. Those were the two I really struggled with last time. The other questions were about the same. Feeling pretty confident that my grade will improve. Did anybody else notice a difference?
  • CharlotteSylvia
    CharlotteSylvia Registered Posts: 28
    Options
    > @busydays said:
    > I've just come out of my synoptic exam and found it so much easier than last time! I got 71% at the last sitting and decided to try and improve on it. I'm so glad I did. I have no idea if it was just luck of the draw and I happened to get easier questions from the same question bank or if the aat have simplified the questions. Question 4 was horrid last time but this time the answer was really obvious, question 6 was also much easier. Those were the two I really struggled with last time. The other questions were about the same. Feeling pretty confident that my grade will improve. Did anybody else notice a difference?

I retook my synoptic Thursday after getting 61%. I definitely feel like I had a better understanding of the questions. It helps that Q4 and Q6 were a lot more straight forward than the questions I had previously!
Privacy Policy