Becoming a MAAT

RebeccaR
RebeccaR Registered Posts: 7
I have completed all of the AAT Level 4 apart from the project which I am waiting for the results for.
Am I correct in thinking that if I pass this, I could sign up to be a MAAT or are there any other requirements?
I am a full time student so have not had work experience as such.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• AbbyCarr
    AbbyCarr Registered Posts: 157
    MAAT application includes a few sections:
    -Work Experiece
    -Nominate a Personal Referee
    -Confirming personal details and declaration.

I am aware the personal referee is not required to be someone you work with, it could be a tutor. However, I believe you would be required to have worked in an accounting position in order to access the work experience. For the work experience section there are 5 areas of competency: Behaving Ethically, Commitment to Continuing Professional Development, Communication Skills, Managing Time and Workload and Team Work. Each section requires you to write about how you believe you are achieving this. The other section of Work experience relates to technical competence. It requires you to explain how your skills in finance have been put into practice, and you must have at least 6 months experience in the area.

I am therefore unsure if you could apply for MAAT. It would be worth ringing AAT to consider your options.
  • KoopaCooper
    KoopaCooper Registered Posts: 224
    AbbyCarr said:

MAAT application includes a few sections:
    -Work Experiece
    -Nominate a Personal Referee
    -Confirming personal details and declaration.

I am aware the personal referee is not required to be someone you work with, it could be a tutor. However, I believe you would be required to have worked in an accounting position in order to access the work experience. For the work experience section there are 5 areas of competency: Behaving Ethically, Commitment to Continuing Professional Development, Communication Skills, Managing Time and Workload and Team Work. Each section requires you to write about how you believe you are achieving this. The other section of Work experience relates to technical competence. It requires you to explain how your skills in finance have been put into practice, and you must have at least 6 months experience in the area.

I am therefore unsure if you could apply for MAAT. It would be worth ringing AAT to consider your options.

This is correct, you must have at least 6 months in practical work experience, not just studies. That doesn't have to be in an accountancy practice, it can be in a business' accounts departments instead. But it does need to be actual work experience.

(I'm unsure if working part-time scales that requirement - if you have to have 6 month's full-time work experience, do you need 2.5 years experience if you only work 1 day per week?)
    Accounts Executive, ғɪᴀʙ ᴍᴀᴀᴛ
    QBO & Xero certified advisor

AAT
    Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 17 Jun 2015
    Level 3 Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jan 2016
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting - 19 Dec 2017
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
    Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business...
    F4 Corporate and Business Law - 4 Jun 2019
    F5 Performance Management - 15 July 2019
    F6 Taxation (United Kingdom) - 3 Dec 2019
    F8 Audit and Assurance - 2 Mar 2020
  • vmartin
    vmartin Registered Posts: 18 New contributor 🐸
    What responsibility does the person authorising the work experience have to have? I am just starting my professional level studies, and I currently work for a small company, reporting directly into the director (and a separate accountant on a freelance basis does anything with the accounts I am not qualified for), so could the director sign off my work experience once I pass my exams in 12-18 months?
  • Agnes123
    Agnes123 Registered Posts: 40
    I'm in exactly the same situation as you vmartin and I've used my boss as the person to authorise my experience and it was all fine. Good luck with your studies.
  • vmartin
    vmartin Registered Posts: 18 New contributor 🐸
    > @Agnes123 said:
    > I'm in exactly the same situation as you vmartin and I've used my boss as the person to authorise my experience and it was all fine. Good luck with your studies.

Thanks , I did IAB and A level accounting pre kids and since then I’ve been dealing with having young kids , working and having fibromyalgia. As the kids are a little older (both primary age now ) I figured I’d get this done so I know more and can become a MAAT also .
Privacy Policy