CIMA Difficulty

Hi All,

Recently passed my AAT Level 4 and looking to move onto the next step, i'm interested in starting CIMA and my current work would offer this to me in September 2020.

I was wondering what the step up would be like and how difficult it is, i struggled towards the end of L4 due to motivation mainly.

How does CIMA compare to Level 4? Also is starting in September a good time to do this and are re-takes a possibility if needed?

Thanks!

Comments

• Cheesypeesy
    Cheesypeesy Registered Posts: 101
    I've found CIMA takes a lot more time in terms of studying. I was quite casual in AAT in comparison, but in CIMA I've had to be a lot more disciplined as there is so much to cover.

I prefer the exams compared to AAT though, a lot less waiting around for results (objective tests are instant, case studies 6 weeks).

The new syllabus is starting in November, so there won't be a new one in a good 4 years or so. You can retake as many times as you like, and there's no time limit to complete exams. Case studies are quarterly, though.
    Matthew Dearlove MAAT
    Currently on CIMA Management Level. Passed P2, F2 and E2. Preparing for November 19 MCS.
  • ConnorL
    ConnorL Registered Posts: 13

I've found CIMA takes a lot more time in terms of studying. I was quite casual in AAT in comparison, but in CIMA I've had to be a lot more disciplined as there is so much to cover.

I prefer the exams compared to AAT though, a lot less waiting around for results (objective tests are instant, case studies 6 weeks).

The new syllabus is starting in November, so there won't be a new one in a good 4 years or so. You can retake as many times as you like, and there's no time limit to complete exams. Case studies are quarterly, though.

Thank you for this information.

Would you say start CIMA in November instead with the new syllabus? Also, how often would you say you study at home per week due to the volume of work.

Thanks
  • Cheesypeesy
    Yes, not much point in doing the old syllabus now as you won't have enough time to finish a level. As you're starting in 2020 the new syllabus will already be in effect, so you don't have much choice!

I try to do at least 14 hours a week, with around 8 weeks study time per exam.
    Matthew Dearlove MAAT
    Currently on CIMA Management Level. Passed P2, F2 and E2. Preparing for November 19 MCS.
  • ConnorL
    ConnorL Registered Posts: 13

Yes, not much point in doing the old syllabus now as you won't have enough time to finish a level. As you're starting in 2020 the new syllabus will already be in effect, so you don't have much choice!

I try to do at least 14 hours a week, with around 8 weeks study time per exam.

Sorry read that as November 2020 the new syllabus started!

14 hours a week a minimum for most people would you say? Also how is the grading system for CIMA, is it the same where 70% is a pass?
  • Cheesypeesy
    I couldn't say for sure, but I've seen less and more than that from some people. CIMA uses a scaled score system based on the difficulty of the exams you take, so they don't use percentages. For the objective tests it's 100/150, whereas the case studies are 80/150.
    Matthew Dearlove MAAT
  • amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    edited August 2019
    Thanks to you both for the helpful questions which have been answered here! - I too was wondering about a few of these questions raised... :)
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
Privacy Policy