Reinstating an employee who was P45 on 25.02.20

Caroleanne
Caroleanne Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
If a employee was p45 on 25.02.20, would it be possible to restart them, run payroll for them on the last 4 weeks, then add the to the furlough. Saying they were taken off by accident. I am think no, but this is what I am being asked to do, any help with this would be appreciated. We run a weekly payroll and all FPS have been submitted.

Comments

• amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I was always told that you can submit an FPS adjustment and state the reason why you are doing so if for a valid and genuine reason (I think the term fps adjustment various from each software provider, but all systems should have a similar function), as these things can happen from time to time.

From memory on Sage Payroll you could submit an FPS Adj, it would link to the RTI portal and you would just change/resubmit (reinstating the employee, unmarking them as a leaver before this process), and enter whatever is necessary and then resubmit it. You should then receive confirmation that the submission has been received.

Hope this helps! :)
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
  • Caroleanne
    Caroleanne Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    Thank you, my next question is we were forced to close on 20/03/20, all staff furloughed from this date. My employer wants to claim from the 02/03/20, even though they were still trading. I have said no, and have claimed from the 20th, as per the HMRC instructions. To day he was not happy when I told him, I also advised him if the claim had be made from the 2nd March, whilst he was still trading it would have been a fraudulent claim. Have I done this correctly
  • amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Caroleanne,

As far as I am aware you can only claim from the date you deemed your employees 'Furloughed', therefore you have done this correctly. From reading the guidelines you are absolutely under no circumstances allowed to backdate a claim.

There is quite alot to the Furlough scheme, do's and don'ts. I am constantly referring to the GOV website and speaking to our HR Consultant.
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
Privacy Policy